Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

flat tapet Camshaft/lifter failure becoming a big problem

Rodney Gold

Corvette
1986 White l98 coupe, 1995 LT1 coupe
My vette has lost some camshaft lobes and a few lifters after just 1600 miles .1 yrs use.....started running rough, valve train noisy , getting too hot and oil pressure at hot wasnt so good .....
Comp cams 270h+ lifters , assembly and break in was meticulous. Only thing I didnt do was use comp cams break in additive when breaking it in and used the stock oil in the motor at the time (was just a top end rebuild).
I have seen many new cams exhibit this type of failure recently .... and many v8 engine builders here are experiencing it as well.
It seems to be a combo of inferior parts and "bad greener" oil...

So with the new cam (same grind) I am using the break in additive as well as Rotella oil as well as using the comp cams additive on a constant basis.
I dont feel to pay for roller lifters and a roller cam as parts here in SA are very expensive with freight and duties ... apart from which , money is a little tight what with the credit crunch

If you did not use Comp Camps break-in lubricant per Comp's instructions, that's why the cam failed.

It's not the fault of the parts or the oil. It's your fault for not following the Comp's instrructions.

On the second installation, it's good that you decided to follow the cam company's instructions.

Shell Rotella 10W30 is a good choice for an aftermarket flat-tappet valve train.

I used the red goop lubricant , what I didnt do was use the comp cams additive
this stuff
159_600.jpg

I used the Comp Cams prelube, Rotella oil and broke the cam in correctly and still lost a lobe after 14000 miles. #8 intake went flat. Replaced with a Crane roller and all associated components and haven't had a problem since.

It is interesting that you went 14,000 miles before the lobe failure. Typically, if there is an improper installation or failure to use an oil suppliment in the first 500-1000 miles, the cam fails shortly after installation.

Since it lasted 14,000 miles and assuming the valve spring pressure and rocker ratio were no higher than what Comp recommended for that cam, I'll guess that that failure was due to either an oiling system defficiency or defective parts.

A roller cam is always the ultimate solution to potential problems with flat-tappet cams.

My guess is defective parts. The oiling system is just fine as were the springs and rocker arms.

How was the detection of the bad lobe noticed? Particular sound and or engine peformance problem?
Just curious?

It developed a miss on the way back home from Hot Springs Corvette Weekend last year. It seemed to come and go. By the time I got home, it was worse. I pulled the valve cover and started the car. The intake rocker arm for # 8 wasn't moving. I pulled the pushrod and it was ok. I then pulled the intake and checked the lifter to see if it was just collapsed or something. It was ground to a concave and about 1/16" shorter than the rest. :pukeCase closed.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom