Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Flywheel/Clutch/Pressure Plate Pics

rkew

Corvette
Roman Red '62 and Competition Yellow '91 Coupe
What do you guys think? Does this flywheel need to be replaced?

Despite the colors, it's smooth except for the noticeable 1" ring aroung the inside of the contact area, which is definitely a little rough to the touch.

It's the original flywheel and this car's first clutch change (76,000 miles, a '91).

I've read and heard, including from the guy at the parts counter at the local GM dealership, that dual mass flywheels can't be resurfaced. Is that really the case?

The OEM flywheel for the '91 is $1,200 at the GM dealer. Ouch! Any thoughts on places to get the same goods for better prices or thoughts on components/kits I can switch to that offer the same level of performance (particularly smoothness), balance, and durability?

I don't want to spend $1,200 if I don't have to but I'd rather do that than take this thing apart again in 500 miles because it shifts like a dump truck or vibrates due to an imbalance situation (or take it apart in 20,000 miles because everything is worn out).

contrary to what every one says inc Chev, they can be and often are resurfaced, I know a very experienced Chev/Corvette tech who does it frequently with no problems. Scuff that one up with some sand paper and put it back in. My .02

I just ran across the following link on the Corvette Forum website. Does anybody have any experience with this outfit?

http://www.dualmassinc.com/

Check out http://www.zfdoc.com

You can buy flywheel from him. He lists GM part numbers for flywheel and anything else you might need. You can check with other Chevy dealers online with the part numbers and compare prices.

I do not know anyone personally who has resurfaced the flywheel. But, if that works, that would be a tremendous savings. I am not looking forward to replacing my clutch!

Save The Wave! :w

My experience with clutch issues is do it all... the first time with quality replacement parts!!! I tried to save a buck on mine. It ended up costing me in the end. I was a former mechanic and I knew better too.

My 85 was purchased needing a clutch so I put it up on jack stands a did the job. I left the flywheel alone and just scuffed it. By the way it looked like yours. Then my bigest mistake was I used parts made it India I got from the local parts store. The end result was a clutch that chattered and would not release all the way. I thought I had a bad slave cyl so It was replaced along with the master. Same problem. To cut to the fix, I ended up having a shop put a Centerforce Performance clutch in it and resurface the flywheel.

Now I'm doing battle with the parts store because I bought the parts last November and they are telling me I was beating on it that's why it failed. The end result sofar is that I spent 900.00 on something that should have cost 600.00. AND I KNEW BETTER!!!!!!!

Do it right the first time you'll be better off!

If you want the #'s of the clutch I used they are Centerforce #384208, #361911, #N1716 and don't forget to machine the flywheel.

Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up buying a new flywheel.

The zfdoc said I could probably get away with scuffing the flywheel, based on the pictures, but he recommended I first check it with a staight edge for flatness. So I removed it from the car, put it on the bench, laid a straight edge on it, and found it was pretty dished-out (guesstimate - between 1/16th and 1/8th of an inch differnece between the outer edge of the mating surface and the inner edge), which made sense given it was the inner part of the clutch/flywheel that was slipping.

I am thrilled that you called the ZF Doc. That one call probably saved you hundreds of dollars in time and labor. He is so sharp. I have not had to replace mine yet, but you can rest assured that I will take all the tips off of this site.

Let me know how the job turns out. What parts you bought and why.

Good Luck! :D

Save The Wave! :w

Gregory

Update on the clutch battle. I won! they gave me back my money in cash I might add. It was about to become a full blown and loud argument but they decided with a full store it was better to shut me up instead, I guess.

All I can say is do it right the first time!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom