Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Found "The right" C5

clydeyb

Corvette
2001 Light Pewter Coupe, Auto
Hi Everyone,
Just got my C5 today, 2001 Light Pewter Coupe Auto. Love the car! Looking the car over real good as I usually do when I get a used vehicle and can't really find anything wrong which I am extremely happy about but I do only have it for one day now. Anyone have any suggestions on what are common problems or what I should be looking for? I previously had a C4 '93 White Coupe Auto. Love this car much better for a whole bunch of reasons. One thing that slightly concerns me is the seller told me don't be alarmed if the low oil light comes on at some point because the oil pan weeps oil, does not leak, but looses some oil because the is no gasket on the pan? Any comments? Car is in beautiful condition but does have 112,000 miles, but you would never know it. Any comments on mileage and reliablity? I did a Carfax and it appears to have been dealer maintained it whole live. Any comments?
Thanks for all replies

The Pewter C5 is a nice Vette!
Relax and enjoy it!
If issues come up, as they're bound to do eventually, you belong to the best Corvette Community on the web and you'll have lots of friends troubleshooting problems with you. :thumb

:wJane Ann

I change my oil when ever the oil life meter gets around the 20% mark and that's usually around the 8k mark and I've never been low on oil at the change. I cant comment on the oil pan and gasket but its not common for the LS1 to loose oil.
Corroded grounds are common on the C5 so they would be one of the first things I would check out and clean up for preventative maintenance. Just do a quick search of the C5 section and you will find some good posts on where they are.
Since the vett sounds like it was dealer serviced the column lock fix should have been done but it wouldn't hurt to have make sure it was done.
Also can't hurt to pull the codes to see whats been going on. Directions here.
Since you've had a C4 your already know about the :w

The rest is all fun...

Looks nice!:thumbkeep her clean and keep a eye on that oil issue,never heard of that one.Enjoy!

Very nice clyde!

Thanks everyone! I have wanted to get a C5 since shortly after getting my first Vette the C4 and joining this forum and learning more about the Corvette's. I think the C5 was what I was expecting when I bought my first C4. I was thrilled with my C4 when I first got it but I would say a month or two after buying it I started reading , researching and learning about the C5 series and really wanted one. Unlike many, I love the look of the look hands down over the C4 amoungst their other qualities and I better leave it at that because I know there is some controvery over that issue!:mad

Congrats. I would check the overflow bottle for any cracks or defects. Have the battery/coolant strength checked. If you get any ck gauges/ck engine light with a cut-out of power or rough idle/car turning off it could be the camshaft position sensor. Other than that congrats and enjoy, she will let you know if she is not feeling well..........:)

Kinda like ...

Finding the "right C5" I guess is like finding the "right wife" ... ;squint:

Jus' remember however that ..

If it got teats or tires ... you're still in for some trouble ..... :)

Finding the "right C5" I guess is like finding the "right wife" ... ;squint:

Jus' remember however that ..

If it got teats or tires ... your still in for some trouble ..... :)

:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie

Close your eyes and imagine some of the scenes from Cool Hand Luke ..

"I'm a' wavin boss .... I'm a' wavin .... " :w

or

"What we have heah .. is a failure ... to commmmmunicate"

:)

Clyde, I just moved up to a C-5 last month so I know what you're saying. I still have my C-3, for now, and there is no way to compare the two. The 2001 has so much more to offer. It's an amazing car and I just love it. Love this forum too, lots of great info like the codes list I just downloaded.

Well good luck with your new toy. See ya down the road.

Dave:Steer

Clyde, I just moved up to a C-5 last month so I know what you're saying. I still have my C-3, for now, and there is no way to compare the two. The 2001 has so much more to offer. It's an amazing car and I just love it. Love this forum too, lots of great info like the codes list I just downloaded.

Well good luck with your new toy. See ya down the road.

Dave:Steer

What year is your C3? I have every intention of adding one to the collection someday. I love my C5 (can't see me ever selling it) and have no regrets of having sold the C4, but there's just something about C3s. I guess its because those are the 'vettes I grew up admiring and started me dreaming of owing a Corvette.

The C-3 is an 82. I've been restoring it since I purchased it in 01. It's up for sale, but for now it's keeping the C-5 company in the garage. Put a lot of $$$ and time into it and hate to just give it away, which is what most buyers want. The entire crossfire set-up has been rebuilt, rebushed, ported polished etc. It has a shinny new paint job, new interior, tires, rims, brakes and the list goes on and on. (See why I really want to keep it.)

Dave

Common problems

2 common problems, 1 is the headlight motor gear strips, it is nylon gear, there are a couple of vendors that sell new gears for the headlight door, I've replaced mine. The other problem is the turn signals, the emergency flasher switch goes out, it's what makes the turn signal flash, I've replaced mine, the part is in the dash. Search on these items, you will find how to repair them yourself.

Good luck with the car, I just got mine Apr this year. It's my 5th vette. Love the car.

Not leaking oil...more like "burning" oil. Some 01's have been known to do this. I can't remember the reason. Maybe the oil rings on the pistons were suspect. Nothing you can do short of teardown so keep a close eye on oil level and fill as needed between changes.

Kind of late to the welcoming party but congratulations on your new ride, you will love it, I've owned a C3 and a C4, great cars in their own right; they are no comparison to the C5. :welcome

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom