Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

freeze plugs?

You're from an area that freezes in the winter, and you don't know what the purpose is, or how expansion (freeze) plugs work? How long have you lived in Niagara Falls, Jen? :L

A freeze plug is designed to pop out should the coolant in the block freeze and expand. They are simply press-fit into the block, and there are usually several of them - two on each side of the block, and a couple in each end. ;)
expansion plug: A steel plug, slightly dished or cup-shaped. When driven into place it flattens to fit tightly in its seat. In an engine block, expansion plugs (also called freeze plugs or core-hole plugs) are inserted into the holes in the casting through which core was removed when casting was formed. They open into cooling passages and thus provide pressure relief should the engine coolant freeze and expand. See core plugs.
core plug: A metal plug located in the sides of the engine block which can pop out because of excessive pressure or freezing and prevent the engine block from cracking. These plugs are located in the water jacket and can sometimes leak and should then be replaced. Block heaters are installed by removing a core plug and inserting a heating element. Core plugs are also called "freeze plugs" or "expansion plugs."

Yea they don't always work though.. they can help keep it from cracking.. always test your antifreeze before winter!
thats my .02
-=Rick

jenavet said:
so if the block freezes and a freeze plug pops out,all is good and your block should be ok??
Thats the idea, but it doesn't always happen that way...
-=Rick

OK, I'll throw a log into the fire ... :D

The reason why a block has "freeze plugs" in it is not what most people think.

The reason why they are there is to help get the sand out of the core when the engine is cast!!!

If you are very lucky, the welch plug might pop if the coolant freezes, but I think more blocks have cracked from freezing then have had the plugs pushed out. That's been my experience anyways.

What do you think Ken ... food for thought???? .... <G>

Ron ( in frigid Canada) ... :beer

Every word you say is true Ron. :beer
expansion plug: In an engine block, expansion plugs (also called freeze plugs or core-hole plugs) are inserted into the holes in the casting through which core was removed when casting was formed. They open into cooling passages and thus provide pressure relief should the engine coolant freeze and expand. See core plugs.
People do rely on them for freeze protection and are amazed when the block still cracks. They should pop first, but if the freeze continues the block'll be next.

RonJ said:
OK, I'll throw a log into the fire ... :D

The reason why a block has "freeze plugs" in it is not what most people think.

The reason why they are there is to help get the sand out of the core when the engine is cast!!!

If you are very lucky, the welch plug might pop if the coolant freezes, but I think more blocks have cracked from freezing then have had the plugs pushed out. That's been my experience anyways.

What do you think Ken ... food for thought???? .... <G>

Ron ( in frigid Canada) ... :beer
Exactly! "Freeze plugs" have absolutely nothing to do with protecting the block from freezing coolant; the holes they fit in are only there to provide an exit path for the disintegrated sand cores from the raw casting as it passes through the "shake-out" table in the foundry, and as an exit path for the remaining sand and flash particles when the block goes through the high-pressure washers before and after machining in the engine plant.

:beer

Hi Jen, didn't realize it was yourself that started this thread, I bought a set of black power sports seats out of a 90 off you last winter for my 85.

They do look good in the car, really spiff up the interior!! ... :)

Wanna buy the old seats??? ... :D

Ron ... :w

haha...thats awesome ron. im glad they worked out. if i didnt have a huge pile of seats in my den i would sure think about it!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom