Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front Caliper Came Loose From Bracket!

R

RoyalViking

I have been enjoying my car for quite a while. Probably 5 thousand miles since the drivability problems were sorted out. Yesterday I left to go to the store and I noticed that at first the car didn't want to move as I was backing out. I thought maybe the pad was stuck briefly. I got off the highway (the store is about 3 miles from where I live). At the next intersection I had to hit the brakes hard to stop and I noticed a metal to metal noise like something was being dragged. The store was 1/10th of a mile away so I stopped in the parking lot to see what was wrong. The caliper had come loose from the upper part of the bracket and was at an angle. The upper part of the caliper was rubbing against the rim. This seemed strange as I cannot understand how this could happen. I pulled the wheel of and checked it over. I could not find anything wrong so I put it back together. I have never heard of this happening.

Does anyone know what may have caused this?

I believe the caliper bolts are installed at the factory with a locktite type stuff on them. A previous owner may have removed the calipers and did not re-install them correctly. I don't know off the top of my head what the torque specs are, but you should put some locktite on the bolts and torque them to the correct setting.

I believe the caliper bolts are installed at the factory with a locktite type stuff on them. A previous owner may have removed the calipers and did not re-install them correctly. I don't know off the top of my head what the torque specs are, but you should put some locktite on the bolts and torque them to the correct setting.

'89 C4, This caliper does not have the typical bolts in the back. There is a pin that is slid into the bottom and is held in place with a c-clip.

Hi, motivated by the price the shop wanted to charge, I did my 4 wheel pad replacement in the parking lot of Pep Boys, after reading the Haynes manual.Everything was logical and took me about an hour,jacking each wheel one at a time. If you cant sort it by looking,let me know and I'll talk you through it. Roger.

'89 C4, This caliper does not have the typical bolts in the back. There is a pin that is slid into the bottom and is held in place with a c-clip.

Ok. My bad. I misunderstood where your caliper came lose at. There is an e-clip that holds that pin in place.

I usually replace it with a new clip whenever I do a brake job. They're like 49 cents a piece and very cheap insurance.

Hi,

Thanks for the responses.

I need to clarify some things:

1. The pin and clip are new and probably have less than 7 thousand miles on them. The caliper did not come loose at that end but at the top. My guess is it happened when I backed out of the parking place where I live.

2. I was able to put the caliper back in place and drive home.

3. I am wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what they may have done.

Here's what was wrong. Although the brake pads had plenty of material on them the car has sat outdoors for long periods in all weather. The pads and pins had worn enough that the pins had flat spots worn on them and the metal backing on the pads had worn enough that there were no longer half circles that retained them in place. There was enough clearance that the caliper would pull away from the bracket when applying the brakes while backing up. The other side was ready to do the same. Only it looked like the caliper would let go from the bottom.

I'd suggest that even if you seldom drive your car you should inspect these wear points. If in doubt change the pads and replace the brake hardware. The damage to your rims is not the worst thing that can happen if a caliper lets go like mine did.

Here's what was wrong. Although the brake pads had plenty of material on them the car has sat outdoors for long periods in all weather. The pads and pins had worn enough that the pins had flat spots worn on them and the metal backing on the pads had worn enough that there were no longer half circles that retained them in place. There was enough clearance that the caliper would pull away from the bracket when applying the brakes while backing up. The other side was ready to do the same. Only it looked like the caliper would let go from the bottom.

I'd suggest that even if you seldom drive your car you should inspect these wear points. If in doubt change the pads and replace the brake hardware. The damage to your rims is not the worst thing that can happen if a caliper lets go like mine did.

my 89 did the same thing last summer exept mine would make a loud metal 2 metal bang when ever i hit a bump that was because not only were the retainers on the back of the brake pad broken off the anti rattle clips that hold the caliper from banging off the bracket were gone so EVERYTHING was just slappin around. so i bought some c_max ceramic pads that came with the anti rattle clips for $80
and new pins and e clip for around $6 at advance auto parts EASIEST brake job ive ever done :)
I LOVE MY VETTE

I tried to post pictures of the wear on the pads and pins but I don't have an online photo account to post them from.

Come to think of it mine rattled quite a bit too.

I tried to post pictures of the wear on the pads and pins but I don't have an online photo account to post them from.

yeah i need to get a photo account too, it always better to show then tell:) but i knew just what you were talking about when i read your thread hoping to get mine out this week waiting on incometax:hbcant wait for that damn check i want my new glass roof and new leather seat skins :cool but im glad you got yours fixed :beer:lou:Steer

my 89 did the same thing last summer exept mine would make a loud metal 2 metal bang when ever i hit a bump that was because not only were the retainers on the back of the brake pad broken off the anti rattle clips that hold the caliper from banging off the bracket were gone so EVERYTHING was just slappin around. so i bought some c_max ceramic pads from advance auto that came with the anti rattle clips for about $80
and new pins and e clip for around $6 EASIEST brake job ive ever done :)
I LOVE MY VETTE

Where did you get the pins and e clips at for $6? The cheapest I found was $15 at Napa. I don't even think Autozone or Advance carry the front pins. Just the rear stuff.

Guys, go to Photobucket.com and open an account. It's free and easy to use. Or if you'd like, email them to me and I'll post them for you. PM me for my email address.

Pics are ALWAYS good. Shows your work for if ever you sell, good for reference when you re-assemble, shows others what to look for, increases web traffic and ad revenue, MIGHT get you a member discount when you buy parts from site sponsors Yup ;)

yeah i need to get a photo account too, it always better to show then tell:) but i knew just what you were talking about when i read your thread hoping to get mine out this week waiting on incometax:hbcant wait for that damn check i want my new glass roof and new leather seat skins :cool but im glad you got yours fixed :beer:lou:Steer

It is pretty straight forward to post pictures without a account. I have posted many pictures, and have never taken the time with photobucket or the likes.

If interested, let me know, and I can walk you through it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom