Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front License Plate Saga

Eagle Flight

Corvette
1967 L79 C60 M20 Coupe, 2004 CE Z16 #1864/2025
Folks, what do you say to this argument? I have been crafting this to send to my state reps for a while now and thought I'd bounce it off of the forum first. I post it here because I have been following the C6 front plate tribulations over the last few months and I feel your pain... I know it is probably spitting into the wind, but it makes me feel better (and no I have not been pulled over for no front plate, but the potential is there every day)...:( - Eagle

How to easily save the State of Texas $46.5 Million Dollars and also make thousands of voters/taxpayers happier...

Per the information at the following link http://www.window.state.tx.us/wrp/em12.html the cost to the State for license plate production per set (2) is about $5, therefore the inferred savings if Texas was to join Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia in only requiring and issuing a single plate for the rear of each vehicle is $2.50 per vehicle. A Texas House Resolution was initially proposed to change this and has been sitting since 1995. If this were approved, it would produce a significant savings to the State of $46.5 MILLION based on 18,622,000 vehicles currently registered in Texas (statistics published by TxDOT - ftp://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/pio/pfacts/pf_0304.pdf). Since each car gets new plates automatically every 7 years, this easily reflects a $7 million annual savings to the State based on existing and new vehicle registrations. I recommend that we take this money + everything else we can scrape up like this and put it into education finance reform (a hot issue in Texas due to high property taxes)!

Additionally and personally important to many drivers in Texas the requirement for 2 plates does not match with the body style of all newer vehicles (just take a look at any car manufacturer website, Acura, Lexus, Chevrolet, Ford, Toyota, etc, you see tons of vehicles and none with front license plates!). Seriously, I defy you to spend just a few minutes, type in your favorite new car maker's website and try to find a car that sports a front license plate - there are none. Everyone agrees that the new cars, regardless of type, look better and more aerodynamic as they were designed - without the excessive front plate structure always added after the fact. A quick scan of the internet identifies thousands of Texans who have signed online petitions attempting to get the legislature to amend Statute 502.404 to only require a single plate on the rear of vehicles like the 19 other states noted above (http://www.petitiononline.com/txplate/petition.html).

Further investigation identifies very few cases where having a front license plate was a useful law enforcement tool and those are primarily for when a car is parked (therefore relatively easy to inspect from either side). We already have windshield mounted stickers on the front of the car that easily identify current registration and inspection information, the front plate is an unnecessary artifact of a long past age.

The only somewhat useful argument for front plates is the electronic survellance at intersections that take pictures of you if you go through a red light, and these can easily still track the occupant and rear plate to achieve their goals. Other than that most cases of law enforcement pulling a vehicle over strickly for the lack of a front plate result in unneeded distraction to the flow of traffic and other drivers and inefficient use of our law enforcement resources. Do we really need to pay tax dollars to have someone enforce a law that does not actually improve highway safety?

Lastly, an argument I have read by law enforcement officials in favor of the two plate system is that two plates help them by allowing them to pull over vehicles which lack the front plate if they 'look suspicious' but otherwise are without probable cause for a justified traffic stop. These folks are not making a good argument vs what should be a closely protected right of the public against such a stop, particularly without a probable cause that warrants the diversion of law enforcement resources from their primary duty of assuring public safety.

Texas should consider requiring only a single rear plate on motor vehicles, it will save the state millions of dollars, make thousands of taxpayers happier, move Texas into the modern age of motor vehicles, and allow a more efficient use of Law Enforcement as well improve their focus on public safety.

Good informaton and very good points!

Nicely done. Good luck with the effort. Keeps us informed of your progress.

Nice piece of legwork. Placing the savings in Education Finance Reform should make a light come on and regenerate any live brain cells left in Austin.

Gordon, of the high property tax paying clan

OK, message sent...

I sent the letters off to my Texas State Rep and State Senator. Feel free to use any portion of this or write your own to your reps as well. If you live in Texas you can get your rep's email addresses at:

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/fyi/fyi.htm

KOPBET said:
What's a front plate? :D
It's the one behind the back of the front seat.
;LOL :_rock

Nahhh .50 AE Desert Eagle, or the 45-70 Magnum Research, not room enough for the .50 Beowulf. Don't send a Boy.........

Eagle Flight, please keep us informed of what results your efforts yeild. I would love to see a similar campaign launched in Colorado.

:w
-Patrick

Eagle Flight, it would be great to have just one plate (I’ve been pulled over 2 twice and my wife got a ticket … but that is another story), BUT don’t hold your breath on a change anytime soon. Our enlightened “Representatives” are too busy deciding major issues like the Official State Vehicle of Texas (chuck wagon), the Official State Cooking Implement of Texas (Dutch oven), the Official State Native Shrub of Texas (purple sage), Official State Dance of Texas (two-step), Official State Sauce of Texas (picante sauce), Official State Molecule of Texas (buckminsterfullerene); in addition to these important issues, they also designated Clifton as the Norwegian Capital of Texas, Odessa as the Jackrabbit Capital of Texas, the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum in Waco as the official state repository of Texas Ranger memorabilia, and the Texas Rio Grande Valley Onion Festival the Official State Onion Festival of Texas. These idiots almost make me ashamed that I’m a Texan (but not quite)!!!

Strange that they were too busy using our State’s time and money on these worthwhile issues to even debate the homeowners property tax relief!!!

By the way, Gordon (unleadedbrew), I believe that I also belong to your clan (the high property tax paying clan) and tired of it!!!

Eagle Flight said:
Some possible progress, a new House Bill proposed in Austin, see article 9 in the link below... could be Texas might actually move to a single plate state! Time will tell!!!

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlo/79R/billtext/HB03540H.HTM

:cool

Things do seem to be looking up, Eagle Flight. Fingers (and toes) are crossed.

Hey, 98TXRed.......Our paths may cross if we ever have a family reunion. :L
Just got my property appraisal today:cry so now my wife will have to take a 2nd job since she's the one who wanted this place.

Right, Unleadedbrew, I also got my property appraisal and was very surprised that it didn't go up this year; I guess they are waiting to load up next year. But that doesn't matter, I will still protest it this year (and that is the first time I have ever done it).

The bill died in committee for this session. House had passed it but the senate had mod'd it and removed the front plate article. Differences never got resolved by the end of the special session. Another year down the tubes.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom