Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front Parking Lights always on - What's That?

R

rkmason

I'm still getting to know my recently purchased '02 Coupe, and I've now noticed that the front parking lights are on constantly. Last night I disabled the Twilight Sentinel automatic light control so I could control the lights from the turn signal stalk.
When I turn the light switch to the "parking light" (middle) position I get all of the front & side parking lights on as it should do. But when I turn the light switch to "off" the side lights go off but the front parking lights stay on and even get somewhat brighter.
I'm pretty sure this behavior is not as-designed, so either something is wrong in the wiring or the previous owner modified the wiring to enable the front parking lights to stay on fulltime. Anybody know about a parking light wiring mod that would cause this behavior?
I want to remove this mod if there is one. Otherwise the car needs to be fixed. Thanks

GM has a daytime running light feature on most (all?) of their cars. The front parking lights are on all the time. It is supposed to be a safety feature, so that other cars can see you. It is based on some accident data in Scandanavia, I believe. The data has been questioned by some people.

rkmason said:
I'm still getting to know my recently purchased '02 Coupe, and I've now noticed that the front parking lights are on constantly. Last night I disabled the Twilight Sentinel automatic light control so I could control the lights from the turn signal stalk.
When I turn the light switch to the "parking light" (middle) position I get all of the front & side parking lights on as it should do. But when I turn the light switch to "off" the side lights go off but the front parking lights stay on and even get somewhat brighter.
I'm pretty sure this behavior is not as-designed, so either something is wrong in the wiring or the previous owner modified the wiring to enable the front parking lights to stay on fulltime. Anybody know about a parking light wiring mod that would cause this behavior?
I want to remove this mod if there is one. Otherwise the car needs to be fixed. Thanks
Those are your DRLs (Daytime Running Lights). Since the C5 headlights are pop-ups, the amber lamps are used as DRLs instead of the headlights like those with exposed headlights. I'm not certain if they can be turned off or disabled on a permanent basis. I think they can be disabled by setting the parking brake before starting the car, but that procedure must be used each and every time to disable the lamps. I'll go try mine after my coffee and see what I find. Of course mine may operate differently because a Z06 doesn't have twilight sentinel.

vettepilot

Daylight VFR

rk,

As Stan (vettepilot) has indicated those amber lights are on all the time and serve as your "daylight runnung lights". From my point of view they are not only a great safety feature but they've become one of those distinquisihing visuals for the C5's.

Hey Stan - "check six"
Remo:cool

DRTH VTR said:
GM has a daytime running light feature on most (all?) of their cars. The front parking lights are on all the time. It is supposed to be a safety feature, so that other cars can see you. It is based on some accident data in Scandanavia, I believe. The data has been questioned by some people.
I think they make you and your car a target!!!

Well, i just tried to disable the DRLs on my car, this is what I found:

Apply the parking brake before you turn the ignition key on, the DRLs will remain off while you turn the ignition to on or if you start the car and while it's running.
BUT... as soon as you release the parking brake to drive away, the lights come on. So that method does not disable them for driving. Maybe somebody else that has a Tech II or similar scanner can see if they can be disabled through the program.

vettepilot

vettepilot said:
Well, i just tried to disable the DRLs on my car, this is what I found:

Apply the parking brake before you turn the ignition key on, the DRLs will remain off while you turn the ignition to on or if you start the car and while it's running.
BUT... as soon as you release the parking brake to drive away, the lights come on. So that method does not disable them for driving. Maybe somebody else that has a Tech II or similar scanner can see if they can be disabled through the program.

vettepilot
The DRLs on the vast majority of newer cas is controlled by a switch in the hand brake. The easy "fix" is to either modify, or tape down the micro switch in the hand brake. This will fool the computer into thinking the hand brake is up all the time. I'm not sure of the wiring in the Corvette, so there may or may not be a seperate switch for the DRLs and the parking brake light, so you could end up with the parking brake light on your dash on all the time.

Daytime Running Lights

Thanks to all of you the parking light behavior I see now makes sense. My other cars have DRLs, but it did not register with me that Corvette would be using the parking lights for this purpose.
I was also thinking that I have seen many C5s on the street in the daytime with no DRLs, but now I will have to look again to confirm what I think I saw.
Is there a well known way of disabling the DRL function? I don't neccessarily want to do it, but I wonder if it's something some C5 owners might be doing. That might explain why I see some C5s on the road with no DRLs.

rkmason said:
Is there a well known way of disabling the DRL function? I don't neccessarily want to do it, but I wonder if it's something some C5 owners might be doing. That might explain why I see some C5s on the road with no DRLs
One click up on the parking brake will disable the DRL's. Does this engage the parking brake at all? I don't know. I don't think I would want to try that.

Tammy

If I am not mistaken, there is a fuse that can you can remove that will keep the drl off. Just not sure which one?:confused

DRL's have been used in Canada for years. Not saying we do everything right up here either ... LOL!!

I'd leave the suckers working. Just a little bit of help to make your vehicle more visible to oncoming traffic. It sure can't hurt!!

Ron ... :beer

has anyone had to change the daytime running lights? I need to change 1 of them and my local dealer wants 70 dollars to do it. Do you think this is worth it? I don't. My arm is too big to reach in and change the bulb myself. Or, I have to undo the undercarriage and get to the light that way. Any suggestions would be apprecitated. Thanks, HeavySevy.

I think that you can move the brake cooling duct out of the way from the front and get at it. At least the side marker lights can be reached that way. I would find some way to do it myself before I paid $70 to change a bulb. It would not be that hard to get to from below. A few things might have to come off, but it would not be that difficult. Just my opinion.

Heavysevy,

If you want to get to the DRL bulb from the top, you can turn on the headlights to raise them, then remove the hood stop (I think a 12mm wrench will loosten it), then reach down and rotate the fitting 1/4-turn. You can't see the bulb housing, so you have to do it by feel.

If you lived in northern California, I'd offer to do it for $70!

Craig-o

Pull The #2 Fuse And It's Fixed

I just don't understand why someone would spend the money to buy a Corvette and then try to disable the DRL's so the car blends in with all the rest of the cars. The DRL's do not make you a "target", if you are driving over the speed limit you have decided to accept the consequences, if there are any.

As for me, I'm proud to own a Corvette and I want it to look like a Corvette:w

The Twilight Sentinel has nothing to do with the DRL's. With the TS on, the headlights will gone on automatically when the light level drops below a given point. I disabled this "feature" because they would pop up when I started it in the garage and close when I backed out into the sunlight.

I am a new Corvette owner, and one thing I've discovered from looking at a lot of posts on this and other Corvette forums is that a lot of owners choose to customize their cars. I even see from your photo that you have Z06 wheels on your convertible.
Personalizing your own car seems to be a big part of what owning a Corvette is about, and I think it's OK. Running with or without DRL's is just one of the differences. Like your comment about speeding, if you choose to run without DRL's you accept the possible consequences.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom