Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front Plate used?

Do you use a front plate?

• Yes I do

Votes: 146 31.7%
  • I'm a rebel, so nope

Votes: 204 44.3%
  • It's not required in my state

Votes: 111 24.1%

• Total voters
DarkShark78 said:
No way around that one.

Front plates are still ugly.

Thank God I have the US style plates. Those long European ones would require a lot of changes (Euro tail lights, reflecors, etc.).
No way I have the tiger shark front nose

Texas requires it. I had it on for about 18 months and after seeing so so many others without theirs,,,,,,I would have never thought I would get stopped just for mine.....Yep,,,,,went to court and the ticket was thrown out because I had place it back on my vette. :mad

I haven't read all of the 142 post to this thread, but here is a list of the states that do NOT require front license plates. Personally I think there is no great need for front license plates, they are generally a nuisance at best, and probably rarely serve a good purpose.

I've mounted my front (2LOWUFO) with the stock cover over it in Washinton state and have never been hasseled by state or local law. I think it may also a matter of "attitude" at the time. Just don't buy into it when asked, How fast will it go?

Thankyou Florida, No front plate required.

Bioscache2 said:
I was just curious how many people put the front plate on their car and how many chose to forgo it and just run the risk. If your lucky enough to live in a state where its not required then your choice is simple. I think I'm just gonna roll the dice and keep it off but I was curious.

Heh - "roll the dice" - I'm pretty sure that Nevada requires a front plate but since I have never seen another Vette with the front plate on, you can bet mine is in the trunk. I figure if I ever get stopped, I'll use my "Blonde Excuse": "But officer, there isn't anywhere to put a front plate!" I am currently practicing my "surprised look" when I am shown that the front cover is removable. :D

seefivezeeohsix said:
i spend $35 a year extra for personal plates so i run one on the front...

Me too. I still don't see what the big deal is. With a surround on, the plate doesn't look bad. It's not like the c6. Now that's where I would draw the line, but a c5, it doesn't look bad with the front plate.

Spoke Too Soon!

My daughter came home on leave from the Coast Guard and wanted to go for a road trip. To make a long story short after 450mi. a WSP turned around and lit us up. He stated he pulled us uver for no front plate and made me prove it was under the cover by removing it. When he saw the plate I had to explain it to him(2LOWUFO) and couldn't resist asking if he was fortunate enough to live out by,Omak. "Yep, born and raised there". No ticket but we kept it covered untill we were out of his patrol area. On the bright side we enjoyed 1000 mi in two days and even though several shots well over 110 got 28.7 mpg.
Semper Fi... Old marine
semperfih2o said:
I've mounted my front (2LOWUFO) with the stock cover over it in Washinton state and have never been hasseled by state or local law. I think it may also a matter of "attitude" at the time. Just don't buy into it when asked, How fast will it go?

I run mine both ways. On a trip up to Baltimore a VSP pulled over 8 corvettes in our group and gave everyone a ticket for no front plate. Paid the $50 fine and put the front plate on, for about two months. It's off again and I'm happy with that, until I get another ticket and my wife laughs at me again.:L
TysVetinparkinglot.jpg

I had my 67 in Colorado and California both states with front plates. I didn't run a front plate on it and never had any trouble in 5 years. I bought my 2003 while home on leave so the plates didn't come in till I was back over here in the big sand box. My wonderful wife agrees that the plate looks ugly, so she put it behind the seat. We are in Colorado Springs however. Which is a Military town. In a Military town there are cars from all over and it isn't a requirement for you to run Colorado plates if you are from another state if you are in the Military. My plates are Colorado, but I won't put one on the front. If I get stopped maybe I will change my mind, or not.
Steve

Wow, hard to believe this thread turns two years old later this week. I'll bet when Ryan (Bioscache2) started this thread while still a cadet at the Air Force Academy, he had no idea this thread would be so long lived.

...My plates are Colorado, but I won't put one on the front. If I get stopped maybe I will change my mind, or not.

Steve,
I bought my first Corvette in 2002. In over four years of Corvette ownership, I've never used a front plate. I've been pulled over for not having a front plate once, by a rookie member of my local police department. (That was a story in itself. I'll have to retell it some day. ;) ) At the time, I played dumb, and told her (the officer) that I hadn't been able to figure out how to get the front cover off. She checked, and saw it wasn't exactly intuitive as to how you take it off, and she let me go with a warning.

I've never gotten so much as a second glance from any other Colorado LEO on this. I'd be surprised if your experiences back here are any different. Mind you, I'm not advocating that don't follow Colorado law. I'm just saying that it's been my observation that most police departments, Sheriff offices and even the State Highway Patrol tend to have priorities for what to pull motorists over for, and lack of a front plate, if you're properly showing current tags on your rear plate, generally isn't high on that list.

:w
-Patrick

Funny Patrick, I was just thinking the same thing when I saw this thread. It was one of my first ever and its still going strong. Glad to see its the thread that has continued and not my time at the Academy. Here's to graduation.

I live In Texas Where It`s the law,but at shows or rallys I just put the cover over my tag.

I think the trick is not to get stopped for anything else. I've never heard of a Cop stopping someone for only a missing plate in front. But if you were speeding...why not stop you for those very illegally tinted windows and a missing front plate. Yet another reason to keep your right foot under control.

Would you believe I moved from New York to Georgia just so I wouldn't have to use a front plate? Okay maybe not. But when I moved from New York this year I was paying $15,000 year in property taxes, so I probably couldn't afford a Vette there anyway.:L

guys with dolls for their avatairess

Oh, I almost forgot do you and Blade hire models, there not sisters are they?
Just kidding of course, but are they? See the same thread.......for Blades model in the picture. I'm jellious of course!
Bill :_rock

I don't understand why in this Corvette forum and the other 2 I belong to why
guys have such delious looking Women for their Avatar???
Is it because they wish they were those chicks, or what?
I used to go for it to see who they were , but not any more...
any one have a clue?

now back to the thread, how about Arizona?

Does Arizona require 2 plates??

thanks!
and btw, with 2 speeding tickets already, I don't need any mo heat.
both vehicals wear 2 "dog tags"

Here in Wisconsin I got stopped by the State Patrol for not displayng the front plate on my C5 (apparently the trooper was bored). Front plate was on, but had my Speed Lingerie on with no license plate window. For safety reasons, the trooper didn't want me to leave the car to prove the plate was on. My wife, being on the side of the car away from traffic, offered to lift the bra, but the trooper would have none of that... No ticket, just a warning. We all had a good laugh. Ended up putting a window in the Speed Lingerie.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom