Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front Plate used?

Do you use a front plate?

• Yes I do

Votes: 146 31.7%
  • I'm a rebel, so nope

Votes: 204 44.3%
  • It's not required in my state

Votes: 111 24.1%

• Total voters
My front plate is secured to the front bumper as required by Massachusetts state law, however, I keep it concealed with my plate cover using Velcro. So if I get stopped I'll, may, have a bargaining chip if the LEO is in a humorous mood..:D

Yup, got pulled over on the way home from the dealership...

Peace
Chip

It is a state law here. I have used it off and on. It has the front plate on now. I use my car in the 4th of July parade sometimes so I figured what the heck.

Front plates are required in MN but in 28 years of driving Vettes, I've never had a ticket.

Not so much a rebel but cant begin to think of plating the front of my Polo green metalic 94' with white,red and blue current Ohio plate colors.I suppose it depends on the temperment of a particular officer,though it should not as to whether I might get a ticket for it or not......So far at gas stations for example I have had area Sheriff's as well as local township police only comment on condition of the 12 year old car.They know why we dont want to plate the front end.But putting that aside by not platting the front I know at any time I could be pulled over.------Blade whats in the box?

Ohio supposedly has a single plate law pending in the legislature but I have not heard anything about it recently. I run both plates to avoid the hassle.

Hi, Nice Wheels and Tires. What size are the tires and wheels? Did you lower the Z06? They really look good. Thanks............ Dr C5 Corvette

I got the new bracket from NCM that attaches to the air dam behind and below the front of my C6. That was two weeks ago. Have only had car a month, so hope it works.

I ORDERED MY NCM BRACKET 10/06 FOR THE NEW 07. SO FAR SO GOOD BUT NOW I HAVE ANGERED THE GODS AND THE SKY WILL OPEN WITH A CLAP OF THUNDER AS I'M STRUCK DEAD. IT'S BEEN WORTH IT THOUGH = HATE THAT FRONT PLATE HOLDER THAT COMES WITH THE C6. WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM OTHERS WHO RUN OR HAVE RUN THE NCM BRACKET. JUST REMEMBER TO POST SOON SINCE I HAVE ONLY A FEW MORE DAYS LEFT!!!

Does This Answer Your Question?

Remo:cool
QuicksilverFrontjpg.jpg

attachment.php

Here is white California plate on Artic White. I'd prefer not to have it but already I got hustled by local cops so there it is. I got used to it now and it does not look to bad to me.

I don't think that there is anything ugly about a front plate on a c5. It looks all right to me. Nothing to get bent out of shape about. Now on to the cupholder debate!

Front Plate Now

I didn't have the front plate displayed and yesterday I got a ticket from the parking patrol that is $30 that I didn't want to spend. I went home and took the cover piece off, I already had the plate in place. So now I have to get either the clear cover piece or the filler piece to make it look half way decent again. Oh well, at least I knew where the front plate was. :L

I do not use the front plate ,personaly I do not like the looks and think it is even worse on a C6....but......I read last night that NJ is thinking of getting rid of the front plate finally! Hope it happens soon!:beer

Does anyone know if it's possible to use zagger's type of plate surround AND fit a smooth clear plastic plate cover underneath? It would make bug removal so much easier.

Originally it was a black plastic plate surround. I have sanded it smooth, primed and painted it to match the car color. Total cost under $20. A clear cover for the whole thing (cover and plate) could easily be drape formed from thin lexan or acrylic. If there would be a large enough demand I could even make them for only the cost of tooling which would not be much. Let me know if anyone is interested. If I see enough interest I'll make some. The cost of tooling would be aprx $150 and material aprx. $2.00 each. I can do this one time only, I'm not looking for profit. I like the idea of easily removing the bugs and wouldn't mind helping some forum members. Regards, Zig.

A clear cover for the whole thing (cover and plate) could easily be drape formed from thin lexan or acrylic.
Would it be possible to use a simple flat acrylic sheet sandwiched between cover and plate?

The surround is designed to hold the plate in a narrow grove much like a regular plate frame. The extra thickness of a plastic would probably prohibit the plate from siting flush against the surround, or even fit within the surround. You could cut a small piece just to fit flush against the plate within the surround and be held down by the bottom two screws. Personally I don't know if I would like the appearance of that. Although maybe one could use one of those light refracting covers that supposedly makes difficult for a camera to take a picture of the plate? Question comes to mind. There are a lot of written articles and TV programs disputing the ability of those covers to block the camera from photographing your plate. If they are so ineffective why is it they are illegal in some places and why is it that all townships and the law enforcement agencies are trying to outlaw them ?;squint: Never though about it, but it makes me wonder now.

I don't have a front license plate on the '65 and use a custom "CRUISIN" corvette plate. In Maine, we must have front plates but with cars that are 25 years and older, state inspections are not required and they are liberal on the front plates on them as long as you have the front plate in the car. We can even have a vintage front and rear plate on them as long as we have both actual registration plates in the cars.

For the 2002, I figured if I was going to have the front plate, then I'd go with a vanity "C5R". To me it makes it much more tolerable.

Chuck M

Would it be possible to use a simple flat acrylic sheet sandwiched between cover and plate?
It is possible. I bought a flat plastic license plate protecter from a chain auto parts store and it works just fine with the surround that I just received. It was a little tight but it does fit and if you have to have a front plate it isn't a bad alternative.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom