Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front Spindle

72LT-ONE

Corvette
1972 Sunflower LT-1
Ok Guy's (and babes ...gotta' be pc) I'm rebuilding the front end on my 72 LT 1. What's the trick in seperating the upper control arm (ball joint) from the spindle? A ball joint seperator tool (picklefork) is not working. The rubber on the ball joint is absorbing all the energy. Don't tell me there's a special Corvette ball joint seperating tool! Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

Been there, beat on that....
All I can say is keep smackin' it and it will come loose.

68Roadster said:
Been there, beat on that....
All I can say is keep smackin' it and it will come loose.

Tomorrow I'm going to put some heat to it as well. I'll just keep beatin' it until it lets loose!!!!! Thanks

M

I take it you have the spring supported so you don't get hurt? Using a pickle fork should do the job and will wreck the boot but since you're rebuilding it that doesn't matter. You can also use a big hammer and hit the knuckle where there is a cast in boss. Hold another hammer on the opposite side of the casting and hit the other side several times and it will loosen up and pop off.

GTR1999 said:
I take it you have the spring supported so you don't get hurt? Using a pickle fork should do the job and will wreck the boot but since you're rebuilding it that doesn't matter. You can also use a big hammer and hit the knuckle where there is a cast in boss. Hold another hammer on the opposite side of the casting and hit the other side several times and it will loosen up and pop off.

I'd recommend leaving the castle nut loose but still threaded on the joint so it catches the arm when the joint breaks free. Otherwise you can get hurt badly by the spring. Spring compressors with saftey chains are always the right way to go.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom