Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Frozen Converter Bolts

DADS8T2

Corvette
82 Red Coupe
I want to keep my 82 fundamentally "stock" and original. But, wanting a little more juice, I've added K&Ns, removed the air door, added Super Turbos and am now adding a free-flow converter.
Started soaking the bolts, but I can see this is going to be a bear to get off . . . now's when I wish I had a lift, instead of the ramps! Hate to have to take it to a muffler shop . . . anybody got any ideas?
Thanks!

WELCOME DADS8T2

Ed:

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center Community (CACC). This is a great corvette site. Check it out and look at some of the great features that Rob has installed.

Sorry to hear about frozen bolts. Use penetrating oil, tap with a hammer, more penetrating oil, wait for it to work in then use a breaker bar to break them loose. It may not be that easy.

Don't give up,

DADS8T2 Welcome to The Corvette Action Center Community

DADS8T2

If all else fails a small propane torch works well... Just be kind of careful down there.. hehehehehe

And enjoy your time here and the :W:

BudD

A little bit of heat from a torch will probably work. However, in the event that it does not...here is a trick I learned from an old steam fitter a few weeks ago that will work for sure. Get a plain wax candle or parafin block. Heat the bolt/nut whatever just enough to cause the wax to be drawn into the threads, much like soldering, turn off the heat and remove the bolt/nut. Be careful as wax is flammable. Good luck!!

frozen bolts

When I removed my convertor I had the same problem.
So, I just "Muscled-Up" and broke off about 3 of them and the rest came out the correct way. (Note: cussing helps!)
I replaced the bolts upon re-assembly. Be carefull, the convertor is pretty heavy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom