Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Fuel filter to carb metal line replacement

entropy454

Corvette
1969 Fathom Green 427 4 speed coupe
The previous owner of my 69 427-390 for some reason removed the metal fuel line that goes from the fuel filter to the carburetor. He replaced the metal fuel line with a rigged-up rubber hose setup that looks a little shaky to say the least.

Can anyone suggest to me a place I can just purchase just the pre-bent metal line that goes from the fuel filter to the carb?

I went to my normal locations for parts online and most of them sell a 3-piece set for around 44$. I hate to buy a set of lines if I only need the one piece. The other fuel lines look perfect.

thanks

Maybe someplace line In-Line Tube? There are a couple places that just do custom tubes- brake, fuel, and trans cooler lines. In-line is the only name that comes to mind.

If you strike out, it's really not that tough to bend a tube from a piece of 3/8 brake tubing..

Corvette Central has them for $44.00 per set for the lines and $42.95 for the correct filter.

Eckler's has the set also. What I would like tho is just one of the 3 part set. Just the line going to the carb. The others I have and are in good shape. Hate to pay for 2 parts I don't currently need.

Like Tim said, it's not too hard to make your own from brake tubing. Just need a flaring tool, some tubing, and the two nuts.

Eckler's has the set also. What I would like tho is just one of the 3 part set. Just the line going to the carb. The others I have and are in good shape. Hate to pay for 2 parts I don't currently need.
I purchased just the Stainless Steel Fuel Line from Corvette Central or Ecklers.

Still trying to figure out how to just do the single line instead of the set of three.

If I understand everyone correctly, I can go to any autoparts store and get a 3/8th inch brake line. Than I need to get something to cut the line, flare the line and maybe even bend it?

Is that correct? Is 3/8" the correct fuel line size?
Are flaring and cutting kits expensive ?

thanks
jim

Still trying to figure out how to just do the single line instead of the set of three.

If I understand everyone correctly, I can go to any autoparts store and get a 3/8th inch brake line. Than I need to get something to cut the line, flare the line and maybe even bend it?

Is that correct? Is 3/8" the correct fuel line size?
Are flaring and cutting kits expensive ?

thanks
jim

3/8 is the correct size and if you get a brake line at an autoparts store it'll have the 2 inverted flare nuts on it.
A simple tube cutter from Lowe's or Home Depot is about $20 and that's for a good one. The flare tool is going to be a bit more- you'll need a 45* double flare tool. As you flare the tube, it upsets the end and then folds it back in on itself. Gives you a double wall for the seat that's less prone to cracking. And a good bender is a must too. Probably be less than $75-$80 total for the bender,cutter and flare tool. Expect to bend a bunch of tube until you get the hang of it. Not at all difficult (I can even do it!) but it takes some trial-and-error to get a nice looking job. Same with the flares it takes a couple to get the hang of it.
IT's well worth the effort- I bought the 3 piece set from a vendor that had the 3 tubes and the Y-block. Got it on and the fit was way past awful. Not even close.
And you need more tools anyway- you'll be surprised how many times you'll use both the tools AND the new skill.

I was a little concerned about the fit on the pieces from the vendors anyways. I noticed in one of my reference books that it appears on the 1969, that the fuel filter is mounted on the A.I.R. pump? If that is true that would place if slightly farther away from the carb than my current fuel filter is located. Mine is located attached to the block, as I assume someone got rid of the pump a long time ago. I also assume most cars do not have the pump on it. So if the vendors (who all look like they have the exact same ones) made it to be the correct length and fit as stock. Will it even fit at all on mine or any other cars that have the pump removed?

I havent checked in a while, but do most part stores have brake/fuel lines already pre-flared and ready to go at different lengths? Or am I remembering something else? I think maybe I can get a pre-flared one at a length that is close and attempt to bend it to fit?

thanks

While parts stores stock pre flaired tube, none will be the right length. It's just the way it works out. Like Tim said it's not a hard job to bend the line but it takes experiance and the right tools. The inexpensive, cast aluminum tube bender just won't cut it espically with 3/8 line as it is tougher than you may think.

...So if the vendors...made it to be the correct length and fit as stock. Will it even fit at all on mine or any other cars that have the pump removed?...

Probably will not fit your car with the A.I.R. removed. The aftermarket kits are stock replacements. With the A.I.R. pump gone, your set up is no longer stock.

You can:

A: Reinstall the A.I.R and run the stock set up, including the metal fuel filter which mounts to the A.I.R. pump;

B: bend your own pipe from your existing fuel filter to the carb inlet.

Good luck.

:)

i grew up in an auto salvage scrap yard. most of these lines are the same. it doesn't matter what year or model vehicle it is. as long as it's a big block with a q-jet carb. go to your nearest junk yard and find a car [dump truck may be easier] and check it out. if you find one it'll probaly be the same line.

steve pastoino

Im having problems getting the metal line off the fuel filter right now. One thing the auto parts store mentioned was that they said I couldn't use a brake line , they said I needed a fuel line that has a rubber 0-ring on the end that goes to the carb. I took my line off on that end and it doesnt look like anything but a brake line.

The Qjets and Holleys that I've seen don't use any O-ring. That's the purpose of the flare, to seal to the carb nut/fitting.

Your auto parts store guy is probably 19-25 years old too.

All GM carbs used an inverted flare fitting. Either 5/16 or 3/8. The 5/16 line was used on the 4 and 6 cyl cars and 3/8 on everything else.

It's not uncommon for the line to be stuck in the nut on the carb- lots of those nuts have been rounded off and countless carbs stripped. I've had to cut the line close to the carb and take the nut/line off and put it in a vise to get it apart. Use a 1" wrench on the carb nut and a GOOD 5/8 line wrench on the line- I have a 5/8 crowfoot line wrench I can put a 12" breaker bar in. I say use a good line wrench- I've had line wrenches from S-K, Sears, and others spread apart.

Yep, it's just a brake line. I second the 19 year old parts guy. I don't believe Orings came to fuel lines until high pressure fuel injection and the main reason they use the quick disconnect fittings is ease of connection and speed. The fuel filters on C4s still used the inverted flair. Be nice to the carb fitting! While ther is a repair fitting for the carb, it looks out of place and will messup the OEM line location.

I got the fuel lin off tonight. Going to replace it hopefully this week.
One question, there are two lines that go to the top of the fuel filter.
One of them goes to the carb and I am working on.
The other appears to be connected to the fuel filter by a rubber hose that is clamped on the filter and the metal line. I think its a return fuel line.
Ive seen other cars with this setup and think it is how it was done at the factory.

Anyone know if it is factory and why GM would use a rubber hose to connect this line and not the one next to it? Seems like a weak link.

thanks

That is a return line- some BB cars had that oddball filter (sorry GM) with that 1/4 nipple, a short rubber hose and a steel line back to the tank. Others had a return line that was on the fuel pump. My 69 has no return line at all, just a vent at the tank.

I agree = any rubber line after the fuel pump is an open invite to a BBQ. One of the things that MUST be maintained closely.The saving grace to this is the rubber line is very short- so short the nipple on the filter and the end of the steel line touch, but there may be another rubber line on the return down by the pump.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom