Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fuel filter

norwegianvette

Corvette
1993 Aqua Convertible
Hi. I looked through my FSM but cant find the fuel filter :confused Anyone who can tell me where it is on a 1993 convertible and if it is a easy way to replace it.

Thanks,
Steve

Inside of passenger side frame rail aft of the front tire. It's a slilver can-like thing with fuel pipes screwed into each end.

Loosen the line hold downs that go back along the inside of the pinch weld. This helps to get you some "slack." I usually take off the end of the line closest to you lying under the side of the car, then carefully with some effort work the the other end of the line out up through the engine compartment. That way you can get to the other fitting very easily.

I always pull the fuel pump fuse and run the motor until it dies from lack of fuel. This helps a little with the "shower" of gasoline that will rain down on you when the steel lines are disconnected. Always use a "back-up" wrench on the steel lines so they do not kink or bend. The use of a Flare-nut wrench is advised.

Use caution, the gas pours out and runs everywhere.

Inside of passenger side frame rail aft of the front tire. It's a slilver can-like thing with fuel pipes screwed into each end.
Has a metal shield held by two 10mm bolts hiding it

Remove the gas cap to relieve the pressure in the tank before removing the lines. The other suggestions are right about the gas shower if you don't. And of course do this outdoors away from any kind of spark or open flame such as a water heater or furnace in your garage.

Thanks Hib.

Any trick to replace?

Steve

Ah, well...I've only changed filters on a ZR-1. It uses the same filter but doesn't have the shield some on this thread have mentioned.

Also, I've never had the problems with fuel leakage people talk about. When I change the filter I have a pie pan under it to catch any leakage which is usually small.

I wait until the fuel tank is less than a quarter of a tank and I wait overnight from the last time the engine ran to change the filter. I lift the front of the car and support it on jack stands. I Undo the clamp holding the filter. I disconnect the bottom fitting. Then, I hold the top fitting with a wrench and use the hex on the filter to spin it off the upper fitting. I remove and replace the filter with an ACDelco fuel filter. Be careful with any o-rings on the fuel lines. Replacement is the reverse of above. Once the filter is in place and the fittings tight I check for leaks by successively turning the ign. on and off until pressure builds.

I had a really hard time changing it out the first time. Tried doing it Hibs way, I just couldn't get the wrench on the top side. So I started doing it 93rubies way. Makes it very easy to do.

On my 90 convertible there is a cross brace on the frame... guess where the filter is... yep right on top of it. Makes it difficult to get wrenches on the fittings. Next time I change mine I may just remove the cross brace first.

Glenn
:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom