Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fuel Guage Sending Unit

J

Joeverb

Well the fuel guage is whacked in the wifes vette and i found you cannot get the sending unit from the local parts stores. Did a little web search and saw a price of $360. What gives? I know vettes are not the cheapest toys and i will spend the money but i didnt pay that much for the dual exhaust system. Anybody know where i can find them for a reasonable price? My chest pains are just now stopping.

thanks for replying sure beats the price i found

Joeverb,

Are you sure the sending unit is bad? The most common failure is the loss of a ground causing the gauge to read full or cycle irratically. If this is the case try pulling the connection apart on the sending unit end and cleaning the connections throughly, this usually does it. If the problem continues check for a broken wire between the tank connection and the dash gauge.

sending unit

there are currently a number of NOS sending units on ebay. They seem to be going for about 75.00. Depending on the year of your car maybe you can find one there. :)

DDL-81 said:
Are you sure the sending unit is bad? The most common failure is the loss of a ground causing the gauge to read full or cycle irratically.

Dale couldn't be more right. Lots of people, myself included, have spent a lot of money replacing a lot of parts to find that the only thing wrong was a corroded or loose connection.

Good Luck!

Ive checked the wiring in the dash. I will get up under the car this weekend and check it there. Thanks for all the help

I have a similar problem: the guage shows ok but stops just below 1/2 so I always hit the trip meter when I get gas.

-Guy

I can't believe I forgot about this. It's wasn't a Vette but an 81 Gran Prix I owned had a speedo that would only work on warm days. I pulled it from the tranny, tossed on some graphite for kicks and it started working. The sporadic nature of yours does sound like something else entirely but it can't hurt.

- Eric

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom