Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

fx3 select ride

G

goomba

I would like to deactivate the Select Ride system and replace front Shocks with non adjustable ones. Any ideas or help on this and getting the Warning light to turn off would be appreciated

You should be able to just take the light out, which will obviously take care of it.... You should have a fuse you can pull to take power away from the system.

thanks for reply. I think the light bulb may be the answer. I have had no luck finding a dedicated fuse for the system.

you may wan to read Cars and Parts Corvette magazine, they had a good article on the FX3 in the latest issue that you might like to read before getting rid of the system

There is a connector for the FX3 located in the compartment behind the drivers seat that also houses the ABS stuff.

The service ride control light can be turned off & the system disabled by disconnecting the SRC module. In the compartment you will find a rectangular black plastic box, 2 inches by 3 inches & about 1 inch thick on the bulkhead behind the drivers seat. This is the SRC module. It is retained by 2 7 mm screws. The module has a 32 position connector with 27 wires. Thats a lot of wires! Disconnect the wire connector. This will disable the system & put the bulb out.

This will not effect any other system.

I got this info from corvette fever, dec. 01, volume 23 no. 12. pg. 78.

Hope it works.

Thank you very much, what a great group of folks. This sounds just like what I am looking for. I will give it a try this weekend. Whats the worst that could happen? End up taking it to Chevy to get straighend out and leave my bank book. :)

To: Vettelt193

In one of your posts you mentioned an article in the Cars and Parts Corvette magazine about the FX3 system. I have a '92 with FX3 suspension. Can you summarize the article? Is it worth keeping this system?

I am thinking about replacing with non-FX3, or having the FX3 rebuilt. Not sure which is best. Appreciate any advice.

Trackitman

Buy the rag... great article.....rebuild the FX

Vig!

I have one at my house.:Silly

No,you should be able to find the issue at the library,or any decent news stand I would think.

Rebuild your FX/3 system.I rebuilt mine recently,I had to because I'm rdgfx3.:w

If I didn't repair the system,I would have to change my name to rdgfx3NOT.:L

Check this.....
1.The link on this site discussing the FX/3 shocks reports that Bilstein will rebuild your old shocks for $55.00.That is incorrect.the cost per shock is now $100.00 each.The total on my invoice from Bilstein is $411.86.Bilstein will NOT offer a warranty on the rebuild.But they know what they're doing so it will be done right.If a warranty is desired,you must buy new shocks.Lifetime warranty.
Don't even think about calling the General for these shocks,because the price is quite ummm ...shocking.:D Call Corvette Central or Ecklers.they cost less than $200.00 each.I'm cheap so I went with the rebuild.

Actuators are HARD to find.Bilstein has them backordered with no clue as to when or if they will get any.G.M. has plenty,if you can afford the price.They are so expensive,it kinda made me mad. :mad
Solution:Rebuild the actuators yourself (it IS possible)or call a(ahem)Corvette recycling center.(Junkyards are for other cars)The actuators are readily available and fairly priced.I paid $75.00 each

Rebuild your system.It is there.Rebuild,do not disable.:nono

BTW,what is the problem you're having?Have you pulled the code yet?When I first got my Vette,the light came on and it was simply an actuator that had seperated from the shock.I put it back on and went another three years.However,I never had the car respond as well back then as it does now.:bu

Feel free to email me with any questions and I'll be happy to help you out with what I can.:w

I will definitely say that the article is worth reading... I don't know where to get the magazine, it just popped up in the mail, I guess as a marketing tool they sent me a free one (I get vette corvette fever etc. as well so i guess they got my mailing info) The article basically shows what the system does from the factory, which is essentially nothing... It makes a bit of fun of the system with questions like "is this just a really expensive switch on my dash not hooked up to anything?" Then the article gets into how to make it work right, explaining all the parts are there for a good system, it just isn't set up right from a computer standpoint... Bilstien sells chips to modify the factory system, and they will make the system work better (it also goes into bilstien rebuilding the shocks to make a firmer ride)
I don't even have FX3, but I found the article very informative and interesting.

It does work.
The touring mode is quite"bouncy"like a large luxury car.:J
Sport mode is a good setting.for a decent ride feel without being too harsh or bouncy.:cool
Performance mode is rather harsh.But in a good way.:eek

If you think it doees't work,try this.Set the control to Tour.Drive down the road and ride on the rumble strips or the city t*tt**s,lane buttons,or whatever you want to call them.Then put it in performance mode.

You should feel a difference.

Maybe the CAC can get permission to post the article in the knowledgebase if they feel it's appropriate.

:CAC???????

:w

FX3 Problem

RDGFx3 -

The reason I think I need to rebuild the system is because there appears to be no dampining effect left in the shocks. I am guessing they need recharged. Does Bilstein do that as part of their $100 rebuild?

It does not appear that I'm getting a code for the actuator failure, but if I pull them off and have them recharged, might as well have them checked and rebuilt if need be.

I've tried all three settings in various driving conditions, and notice a slight firming and less bounce when on performance. But the variance is small between the settings.

I'm waiting for winter :xmas to put the car up and pull off the shocks, check the springs, bushings, bearings, brakes, etc. Right now I'm trying to educate myself and develop a plan.

:xmas

Goomba, send em an email with what's going on and I'll walk you through a repair process and trouble shooting. If need be I can meet up with you to help.

Bilstein does offer a warranty on their rebuild. I want to say it's a year or less.

Re: FX3 Problem

trackitman said:
RDGFx3 -

The reason I think I need to rebuild the system is because there appears to be no dampining effect left in the shocks. I am guessing they need recharged. Does Bilstein do that as part of their $100 rebuild?

It does not appear that I'm getting a code for the actuator failure, but if I pull them off and have them recharged, might as well have them checked and rebuilt if need be.

I've tried all three settings in various driving conditions, and notice a slight firming and less bounce when on performance. But the variance is small between the settings.

I'm waiting for winter :xmas to put the car up and pull off the shocks, check the springs, bushings, bearings, brakes, etc. Right now I'm trying to educate myself and develop a plan.
:xmas

The codes that are present can represent a actuator failure. There are two codes that can be set for each shock. One of these is typically a shock problem and the other is a actuator problem.

The other thing is depending on what speed you are going you are not going to feel a difference in the settings, as it is a step system. In the performance mode it gets firmer from three different speed ranges.

Ten year old shocks.

Yep.

Bilstein will rebuild them to new condition.

The variance between the settings is noticeable.

It's easy to tell your actuator is bad.The pieces left of the plastic gear fitting will fall out when you remove it from the shock.
The metal gear on top of one of my shocks had actually broken as well.Plastic actuator fitting to metal shock gear.Sigh....

Bill Hindorf from Bilstein called to tell me the condition of my shocks(completely worn out) and to ask what I wanted to do.i.e.firmer damping,buy new,etc.

He really pushed buying new simply because they are not going to offer a warranty on the rebuild.

Call him,he'll talk to ya as long as ya want.1-800-409-0012 in Poway,CA.

FX3

You are making a mistake by getting rid of your FX3 system. Mine was broke for a year and one shock costed more than 4 regular ones but, it was worth it. Again is your ca$h and your vette, your decision will be the best one:nono

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom