Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

FX3 Shock Rebuild

qblue90

Corvette
1990 Quasar Blue 6 spd,Z51,FX3,J55,GT7
Hi Guys!

I am contemplating pulling the Billsteins off the 90 and sending them in for a rebuild. The car only has around 45K on it, but they just feel too...umm squishie to me. Following my wife in another vehicle, it looks like the back end bounces too much. Its somewhat difficult to tell if the shocks need rebuilding or not by using the old bounce the car test. They do not appear to be leaking or anything unusual. I am not getting any tire wear. They just dont feel right anymore. Is there a way to tell if they are in need of attention or is the seat of my pants good enough? We have had the car since it was brand new. Right now we have to drive the car in the "performance" setting to get a decent feel and we never felt that we had to do that before.

Now for my questions regarding rebuilding the shocks:

Does anyone have any real world experience with this? What is the typical turn around time for a standard rebuild? My wife and I pretty much just cruise with the car and the occasional (very)spirited corner carving session. Can anyone tell me how they felt about changing the valving up to Challenge specs? What was the difference over standard valving? I dont want my wife complaining that the ride is too harsh if I go that route.

I am sure getting the shocks off is pretty simple, however I am somewhat worried about the actuators. Does anyone have any advice on those? I dont want to break anything.

Thanks in advance!

I think Bilstein can rebuild them for a 90 day warranty or you can buy brand new ones for a lifetime warranty. With rebuilding you can have it revalved for a different setting of your choice.

I had the front two on my 94 rebuilt by Bilstein. Turn around was about a week and a half. As far as the other questions, I don't think I can answer as I went back with standard valving....and my car had the Z07 package and rode a bit 'stiff' anyway.

The biggest reason that I had them rebuilt was the little gear on top broke and to replace them they went through a complete rebuild. So I really didn't notice much if any difference.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom