Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

gas filter

chevy6673

Corvette
1973 Corvette ,1966 ss impala
i have a clear fuel filter should it be full of gas all the time ..or is it as needed...dumb ????????? i think pump may be bad not sure ..

i have a clear fuel filter should it be full of gas all the time ..or is it as needed...dumb ????????? i think pump may be bad not sure ..
Fuel can drain back to the tank if the check valve in the fuel pump is not sealing properly, otherwise it should be full all the time. Does it take a while to catch or require a few starts to stay running?

Fuel can drain back to the tank if the check valve in the fuel pump is not sealing properly, otherwise it should be full all the time. Does it take a while to catch or require a few starts to stay running?
starts great, heres the thing it will run great for a few days then driving along it will die and start and run with almost empty filter like its running off gas in carb . i thought if a fuel pump want bad it stops for good had the carb redone last weekend so thats good ..it goes days with out acting up ;shrugguess i should just put a pump in and hope thats it..

starts great, heres the thing it will run great for a few days then driving along it will die and start and run with almost empty filter like its running off gas in carb . i thought if a fuel pump want bad it stops for good had the carb redone last weekend so thats good ..it goes days with out acting up ;shrugguess i should just put a pump in and hope thats it..
Usually if a fuel pump goes, it goes for good once and for all. That's usually a pump diaphragm failure.
But sometimes one of the check valves in the pump starts to fail to seal, whether by wear or a piece of foreign material in it's flow path. Then it will do what you say intermittantly.

P.S. do what John Z says and ditch that glass filter.

Usually if a fuel pump goes, it goes for good once and for all. That's usually a pump diaphragm failure.
But sometimes one of the check valves in the pump starts to fail to seal, whether by wear or a piece of foreign material in it's flow path. Then it will do what you say intermittantly.

P.S. do what John Z says and ditch that glass filter.
thanks for the help guys

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom