Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Gas in Oil?

Bo Dillingham

Corvette
1965 crimson pearl (2002 cadillac?)
Ladies and Gentlemen,
Again, I have a problem that does not appear to have an easy solution. For one, I have changed the oil in my small block powered ’65 three times in the last couple months, and get severe recurring gasoline dilution of the oil. The level on the dipstick rises above the full mark, smells like gasoline, and drips off the end of the dipstick like water.
This problem has persisted in spite of a new carburetor. The spark plugs look great, so I do not attribute it to too much fuel going into the manifold.
The PCV system is a closed system with the vent tube connected to the inside of the air cleaner, and the vacuum line connected to the oil filler neck. I have run the vacuum line through A PCV valve (in the right direction) and into the correct vacuum connection on the back of the Holly 4160 (but I do not have an orifice in the line as is mentioned in a Corvette description of the PCV system).
When I check the PCV system by putting my thumb over the vacuum line, I feel a healthy vacuum. Then I put the hose back on the oil filler neck (with the oil filler cap on tight) and watch the fumes coming out of the vent tube at the air cleaner. It seems to me that a strong vacuum at the oil filler neck should be sucking the fumes out there instead of letting them escape at the inlet?
Also, I smell gasoline once in a while when I’m driving, but not all the time.
One of my associates said that I may have a leak between the fuel pump and the crankcase. Any Ideas????
Thank you for your time and help,
Bo Dillingham

Gas in the Oil

Bo

Your associate is absolutely correct. You most likely have a failing diaphram in your fuel pump. Since it is driven off the cam there is direct access to the oil galley in the event of a failed diaphram. Fuel dilution is serious, it will cause bearing failure from top to bottom. I think a new fuel pump will solve your problem.

radstad66, I hope that's not going to be your signature photo. :eek

It's beautiful, but... TOO BIG! :L

Check this out for forum recommendations: Signature/Forum Update

Thanks.

Yep, I'm with Dale

I too would suspect the fuel pump. and I would not wait too long to replace it. It could go boom in a very big way..........Steve

Yes, I know, I thought I deleted that out before I logged out. Sorry:confused

rafstad66

It was a great picture though.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom