Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

gas prices

You are ssoo right. How many times do I pull up to a customer with the 78 or 79 and get "boy, we know who's making the money now!" comment. Yet they have a 50K pickup and 4 horse trailer with show horses in the 100K barn etc.

ANd here I'm driving in with a 6 to 7K car???

:confused

Chuck M

Same here Bill-last week I got a half tank of prem. for 45$ I would rather buy food and beer:beerEverthing is going up! i'am not rich-but--Its been real smokey over here Big cypress on fire so I have been staying indoors!:w

earnestD--Yesterday morning we got a real taste (or is it smell) of the glades fires burning in Collier County. Sometimes we get only the smell but yesterday it was thick with smoke too. By 1 pm most of it had dissipated.

Funny thing, when I got this vette, my wife didn't want me to pick her up at work with the car. "Why not," I asked, because she believed everyone in her department would think she got a raise in salary, which wasn't the case, and she didn't want to start rumors that would disrupt her work environment. No one had received a raise in a couple of years because of the economy. I wasn't able to convince her otherwise...but one day I did pick her up and the next day, one of her co-workers remarked "who picked you up in the yellow Corvette?'' [We'd been married almost 40 years at that time :D] She responded with a grin, "it was my boyfriend." That gave them something to really talk about! I thought that was a pretty witty comment. :L

Bill-funny story:chuckle-it's been pretty smoky over here!coughhh-one day I woke up and thought it was snowing!It was ash falling!Jeez!closed the garage!By the way nice looking vette you have:beer If you ever make it over this way look me up.:w

I bought my '03 Z06 (EB) from an insurance auction for less than 10 year-old Toyota or Honda. It was hit very light in the rear and was an
easy fix. I bought it because I think it's the best value of all the American vehicles made that year. I probably have the lowest annual salary of all my friends - I teach part-time (I'd prefer full-time, but in this economy and with my age, finding a full-time position is like finding hens teeth!).

Needless to say, all my friends are envious, yet they're more than willing to buy foreign vehicles and don't seem to make the connection between the lack of decent manufacturing jobs, like there used to be, and their illusions about how foreign manufacturers can produce better vehicles than US ones.

I better include some talk of gasoline and keep the thread consistent - I'm not convinced that it is so critical to run high-octane gas in the 'Vettes. The compression ratio is not that high and I've never heard
complaints of knock or read account of pre-detonation from running
lower octane. With some turbo-charged vehicles, it is a huge issue. But with the LS1 or LS6, I wouldn't think it would be so critical. That being said, 20 ¢ / gal and regular selling here in MA for about $4/gal, represents a 5% increase. Is it worth the worry to consider 5%? That is, about 1¢ difference per mile, or $1.00 every
hundred miles!

At $100 a barrel, the aggregate oil bill for the US comes to $2 billion a day, $730 billion a year, about 6% of US gross domestic product (GDP). About 50% of US consumption is imported at a cost of $1 billion a day, or $365 billion a year. Oil and gas import is the single largest component in the US trade deficit, not imports from Japan or China.

Gasoline prices also will not come down much, not because there is a shortage of crude oil, but because there is a shortage of refinery capacity. The refinery deficiency was created by the appearance of gas-guzzlers that Detroit pushed on the consuming public when gasoline was less than a $1 a gallon and cheaper than bottled water. Refineries are among the most capital-intensive investments, with nightmarish regulatory hurdles. Refineries need to be located where the demand for gasoline is, but families that own three cars do not want to live near a refinery. Thus there is no incentive to expand refinery capacity to bring gasoline prices down because the return on investment will need high gasoline prices to pay for it. It is not the nature of the market to reduce the price of output from investment so that consumers can drive gas-guzzling SUVs that burn most of their fuel sitting in traffic jams on freeways or to run AC in their convertibles:eyerole

How about instead of giving the oil companies more oil leases on public
lands, lets have the military do the exploration, extraction and storage
of oil. Put oil storage tanks in every US military installation and then
we can have them be secure also.

Since there hasn't been a refinery built in the US since the early 70's, let's
build 4 new strategically located refineries. We can borrow the money
from future generations ala The New Deal. New high paying jobs and less
dependecy on foreign companies. Why borrow the money to re-line the
pockets of bankers?

It is going to be hard, if not impossible, to move forward with new energy technology until the current situation is stabilized. The USA
uses 18.7 million barrels of oil daily. Do the math from around $40 a
barrel to $100. That is $1.12 BILLION dollars a day not being spent
on other things, like new Corvettes. :L

Gas Boycott

:wI have been trying to figure out how this could be coordinated, however a boycott is in order.

NO not the one where you dont buy gas on Tuesday and buy it on Wednesday. It has to be for 1 month at a time at the same company.
For 1month stay away from Exxon, then stay away from another etc. You will not be inconvenienced but they will feel the pinch.
:happyanim:

:wI have been trying to figure out how this could be coordinated, however a boycott is in order.

NO not the one where you dont buy gas on Tuesday and buy it on Wednesday. It has to be for 1 month at a time at the same company.
For 1month stay away from Exxon, then stay away from another etc. You will not be inconvenienced but they will feel the pinch.
:happyanim:

That sounds like a great idea, but.....It might not be an inconvenience for most people, but in rural America, that's a different story. We have two fuel stations in our little town....neither one is a major player.

:wThat's even easier. it doesnt have to be the big ones.

Everyone stays away from one then the other. Their lost revenue will be felt!!:beer Even though they "dont make any money selling gasoline".

Although it may be argued that they get gas from the same depot, each station will feel the pinch. THEY will then apply pressure up the line. They all belong to cooperatives and other societies/groups.

I think if you do some research on the ill-founded idea of boycotts, you'll find that the only ones actually hurt by such an idea would be individual owner-operator stations who are just lowly pawns in a bigger game.

Why are you guys in the US moaning anyway- you've still got some of the cheapest gas in the western world. :eyerole

... Why are you guys in the US moaning anyway- you've still got some of the cheapest gas in the western world.

Like with all things financial, 'cheap' is a relative term. When the price essentially doubles in 3 years, one tends to complain.

:wYea we have it cheap.

BUT my 15mpg truck with a 37 gal tank uses regular gas @ $4/gal.

Do the math. :mad

Answer: burn it and get a Smart car truck or a $42000 Volt.

Three gas stations near me Hess,Sunoco 7-11 711 gas is highest,stations are all close together 7-11 is ALWAYS higher! who's playing who?boycott stupid 7-11 gas!It's bad gas anyway!

I wish I had the option of using lower octane. I only run Sunoco 93 - I can't even use Mobil 93 without severe knocking.

:wI just read that Iran is building a Missile base in Venezuela with missiles aimed at US.:mad -

Iran Basing Missiles in Venezuela and Pointing Them at USA | The National Bugle

BTW Citgo is owned by Venezuela/Chavez - they have always been off my list!!:beer

The Obama administration is restricting US oil drilling here while going to Brazil telling them that what they are doing is great and he wants to buy oil from them. WTF!!!

Also China will be drilling off the coast of Cuber. NEAR Florida:confused

cheap costs more n long run

my c5 was dyno d told by tuner injection-connection--93 octane is must/ timing is max d out/u cant hear KNOCK w these ls motors/sure save 25 cents ruin motor/ not me// shell prem or sunco 93//occas bp 93 octane/life is short /enjoy da ride!!!:w:happyanim::D:upthumbs

Like with all things financial, 'cheap' is a relative term. When the price essentially doubles in 3 years, one tends to complain.

He's just irritated that we buy gas in the states that actually came from Canada and we pay less .All about taxes .We live very close to Canada but haven't been in years because of high taxes on everything .

He's just irritated that we buy gas in the states that actually came from Canada and we pay less .All about taxes .We live very close to Canada but haven't been in years because of high taxes on everything .

No, 'he' is not irritated about that at all. 'He' is irritated with people who know they've got it good, but moan nonetheless.

I see the latest stats about quality of life were announced. Canada came in 2nd, and the US position improved remarkably to-

seventh. :ugh

You guys keep at it, you'll catch up some day. :upthumbs

I personally Thank Canada for being a good neighbor (neighbour).......:upthumbs

I think its just coincidence that 90% of the population lives on the American border.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom