Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Gear drive

Tom Bryant

Administrator
Corvette
1959 black 270hp (9/2/69) 1981 Beige L81(10/20/80)
:confused: Has anyone had experience using a gear drive in a Corvette that sees daily use. I mean by daily use 8000 miles a year or more. I have heard no problems and I have heard about vibrations being transferred and effecting other components of the engine. Any comments?

Tom

Hey Tom, I installed a Pete Jackson noisy in my '85. I had absolutely no problems with it at all. I only drove a bout 3K a year, but that L98 motor saw redline quite a few times. I received nothing but compliments about the way it sounded. I really wish gear drive was made for the later-model C-4's too because that is what I'm looking to purchase. Another bonus was that I never had to worry about a timing chain again:) Hope this helps.....

Jay

Thanks for the reply, Jay. I tend to view the sound as part of the persona of a high performance vehicle and I have always had this thing for mechanical noises like solid lifters. I'm changing cams in my '69 stepside project shortly and I think a noisey gear drive would ad to it's lowered and louvered hot rod image. It is going to be a summer driver and Corvette parts chaser so will see some miles.
Tom

Pics on http://www.corvetteforum.net/bss/59ttom/

Hey Tom,you should know some of the side effects.It is a power robber.Depending to who you talk to any where from 5 to 30hp.Also I heard it puts an extra load on the main bearings.I would stick to a good true roller chain unless you're running serious hp 500 plus

gear drive

Thanks Manny

Gear Drive

Tom

I installed a Pete Jackson Extra Quiet unit in my 59 with 383. Have no problems with unit. Has only a slight gear noise at idle but don't notice on the highway.I had heard all of the pros and cons on the unit prior to instillation. Still Pleased.

gear drive

Thanks David.
I'd like to see some pics of your '59 and hear the details of your car. 383 sounds good. I'll be doing an engine for mine before too long.
Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom