Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

General questions from a prospective C3 owner

entropy454

Corvette
1969 Fathom Green 427 4 speed coupe
I am currently in the process of selling my other project and parts to have money to purchase a 1968-1972 corvette. Im also using this time to make sure my wife is used to the idea of me purchasing one. :)
I've checked on some of the knowledge bases on here and I've looked on the internet.

I was hoping to ask questions to you current owners of this era vettes, to answer my questions or lead me to the right location/link for the answers.
So please if you have any pictures or links, toss them into the thread. It will make it easier for me to grasp.

I apologize, for some of my questions will seem silly or sometimes random. I'll spew them out on this thread as the fall into my head.

Ok here goes a few that are stuck in my head.

What are the critical issues that I should be aware of on a 1968-1972 corvette? I have heard there is a frame rot issue on some cars. Is there a specific location on the frame that is is more common on these cars? Unless the price of the car is very good, I don't want to have to purchase a car with major repair needed such as a frame repair. I just got out of a car I had for 22 years with this problem.

Are there other major issues with 68-72? I have heard hints that certain parts of the car use vacuum lines to operate? I think it was headlights?

Is there a place online that you can look up vette engine, paint, drivetrain in general codes?

If buying from a dealer, has anyone had any experience in being able to talk them down in price. I often see a HUGE descrepency on prices for similar cars. A lot of dealers Ive seen ask way more than I would have expected.

Is there a price range guide on the internet that gives a general price range?

I dont want to have to many questions at once, so I will leave the last one as kind of a silly one.
Why did corvettes come with a chrome luggage rack? I've never in my life seen anyone use them. Do they bring down or raise the value of the car. Do people often remove them? :)

thanks, round 1 complete

C3BuyersGuide-1.jpg

Good reading here. Worth the cost of a copy.

:)

Check out the Tech Center area: http://corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/buying.html

With respect to frame rot, the area on the frame directly in front of the rear tires are common areas. Also the "bird cage" area -- that is where fiberglass is actually bonded to steel. If that is rusted -- it's bad news and very costly to repair. I don't have diagram of the birdcage handy.... just do a search in this forum and you'll find more info.

Also use a business card or something similar and pass it along the inside of windshield frame to check for rust... Vette windshield frames are also susceptible in this area.

Ralph

If I were you, I would stay away from the 1968, And go for anything between 1969 and 1972. The 1968 was the worst of C3's. All kinds of problems. They fixed all the problems in 1969 plus re-introduced the popular Stingray name back on the car.

Looked like a few good deals at the auction on speed channel, I only have managed a few minutes time but I saw a 68 or 69 that I would have bought for around 30k if I had the cash. When you think about all the time and money you will put into one you work on....

Good luck finding one - always nice to have a fellow C3 owner join the club.

Yeah, I have some rust in my windshield frame. Its ok right now, but im keeping an eye on it. I guess if I wanted a new car I would have bought a new camaro......

If I were you, I would stay away from the 1968, And go for anything between 1969 and 1972. The 1968 was the worst of C3's. All kinds of problems. They fixed all the problems in 1969 plus re-introduced the popular Stingray name back on the car.

Yep, I am a little warry on the 68 already. I heard it had a lot of single year parts on it, like many other chevys.

The best advice I could give you would be to research this and other websites and decide what you want to have as far a a car is concerned. Projects can be fun but if you are abandoning one after 22 years that may not be the best choice for you. Completed cars cost much more but in the long run can be cheaper. Original cars are more saleable and as a result are more expensive.

Once you have an idea of what you want and a plan start looking. Dealers are very proud of their cars and will negotiate price but not much. The best deals come from people who have completed a project and are looking for another one.(Sound familiar) Or someone who has given up on a project after several years.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Here's a photo of a typical rusty '69 birdcage, and an exploded diagram of a '68 birdcage (drawn before the last-minute redesign that added the T-bar). :)

69Birdcage.jpg

:beer

Yep, I am a little warry on the 68 already. I heard it had a lot of single year parts on it, like many other chevys.

Do your homework. As a '68 owner, I would hate for you to miss a chance on a nice car due to uniformed BS about the '68s.

I see no one wanted to take a stab at the luggage rack question. I assume what that is on the back of a few corvettes?

I like my luggage rack, I carry small suitcases sometimes, hard to look in the rearview mirror and see something there in it. I think the chrome helps the car in looks.

Isnt there some small amount of space behind the seats, just in case you needed to carry something along with you?
Just wondering.

Isnt there some small amount of space behind the seats, just in case you needed to carry something along with you?
Just wondering.

That's right it's small - very small. My '69 is a convertible (roadster), the space is too small to carry much of anything. Not sure if the coupes have much more space back there.

My 1974 is a coupe. The amount of space behind the seat is very very small. If you happen to take the t-tops off and bring them with you for the ride. They will take almost all the space in the back of your car.

Personaly I think the luggage rack gives a better look to the car. I couldn't imagine mine without it. Also I'm thinking swapping my 6 hole luggage rack for a 8 hole luggage rack fitted with pins for factory roof panel holders. This way I can buy the Corvette Luggage Rack T-Top Holder Bracket Set and take my T-tops with me on the luggage rack. This should free up some space for a nice sound system and still able to carry a few bags.

Luggage%20rack.jpg
http://www.greatermonctoncorvetteclub.com/4speed/Luggage rack.jpg

...I see no one wanted to take a stab at the luggage rack question. I assume what that is on the back of a few corvettes?...

Luggage racks were dealer installed options. Some new Corvette buyers wanted them and paid the dealer for them; others did not want them. My '68 does not have the rack; my '74 had one. They offer a modicum of additional storage.

Since the racks were not factory installed options, you will lose a few points if your car has the rack and you have your car judged.

Great info, thanks again.
A new question popped into my head.
I am checking out a 69 convertable vette online. It claims to have a
"correct date code 427 engine".

Am I understanding it correctly in saying that they are stating the car has a 69 427 corvette engine in the car, just not the engine that came with the car?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom