Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

"Glass top"

Paul Higg

Corvette
2007 Monterey Red
Has anyone else seen this or have this?

1) My blue top is so cracked and crazed you cannot see through it and it is getting worse.

2) I noticed a new squeak and it is diving me NUTS :mad, it sounds like one of those styrofoam coolers you buy for a couple of bucks where the top squeaks when you place it on the top of the cooler. So my son and I troubleshot it down to the top. It seems the cracks are moving and rubbing against one another causing the squeak. I can even push up on it with my hand and it'll make the noise when I am in the garage with the engine off. It even drowns out my music!

3) Has anyone ever had one of them crack and explode on them? I have read where some people have had that happen when putting it up on jack stands. Anyone? I do NOT want to be driving and have it raining teeny-weeny slivers of plexiglass in my lap or eyes. :bash

Paul

Great thread. My glass top is "shattered" as well. I'm curious as well

Thanks for a great site. I now have them bookmarked!

I am still wondering if anyone has had theirs break or have heard of one breaking, especially during jacking.

Paul

Yeah,I've seen it,JimiJam95's New GM top I replaced last June came un-bonded at about 70 MPH a month ago or so!! My local Chevrolet parts man has been trying to get me a new one,but the last 3 that came in has been worse than the one we are trying to replace!! The first one they got me looked like somebody had been using it for a toboggan,the second came in 6 pieces, the 3rd was loose across the front and back!! The one that I put on in June is only coming apart across the front and was scooping air,so beens it's already adjusted for the car,I got them to reimburse me $400. to repair it!!:thumb
I don't know whats happening with GM,but I have gotten a bunch of faulty parts from them in the last 4-6 months (2 Bad Opti's,1 4.3 Injector unit,1 C5 A/C Climate Control Head, and 2 Wheel Bearing Hubs),The job is at a loss the second time around and I'm about to convert to aftermarket!! I've always stressed "Keep your GM Vehicle ALL GM" but that is about to change!!:eyerole:eyerole:eyerole

PS You will have to have it re-lensed if it's cracked Paul,or repair it,paint it and put a headliner in it and make it a solid top!!:thumb:thumb:thumb
I'll post photos when I'm repairing Jimi's,It's not cracked just came un-bonded across the front!!

:beer

Well, I gotta get a new one, this one is fixin' to blow any minute.

Well, I gotta get a new one, this one is fixin' to blow any minute.
I have a purdy decent Bronze used one but it's on Jimi's car right now till I get something done about his,I'll call you!!:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom