Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

glaze or sealant

cuvette

Corvette
2000 yellow convertible
I will like to no if it s better to put a glaze and a wax or put a sealant and a wax on my 2000 and if the sealant is better c'ant i put wax on it because i like to wax my car a lot
thanks

It is important to understand that 'waxes' and 'sealants' have the same use and really don't need to be combined.

A wax is typically a blend of natural waxes (often carnuba), polymers, oils and gloss agents. A sealant is a blend of man-made polymers, oils and gloss agents.

A glaze is used to improve clarity of the paint finish and possibly hide minor surface imperfections. It's use is most noticeable on older paint jobs, but can definately still be used on newer paint.

With all that said, to answer your question...some people use carnuba wax as a final finish over a man-made sealant. However, I would only recommend doing this if your car is more of a "show-car" or "garage queen". The reason being is that natural carnuba waxes don't last very long at all compared to synthetics and you would probably want to strip everything off for best results rather than just apply another coat of carnuba every few months. As you can imagine, this would be very time intensive.

I have been detailing cars for almost 20 years and would recommend using polish, glaze and sealant in that order. You could always finish it off with a good carnuba if you don't drive the car a lot or don't mind redoing the job every few months.

However, to each his own. Some people highly recommend natural waxes over man-made. There are pro's and con's to both methods.

Hope this helps a little...

-J.

I just recently glazed mine with 3M glaze. I got nice results, lasts alot longer than NXT and I just hit it with some quick detailer at the shows.
I'll probably strip it all off come Spring time and do a proper job it.

You probably are already aware, Chrisr, but just in case some people aren't: always be sure to follow a glaze with a wax or sealant as glaze doesn't offer much in the way of protection for your paint.

Thanks SLEEPYHEAD for your tips i will do a glaze and after a wax my paint is nice now do the glaze and the wax are going to do a better shine

regard

sleepyhead said:
You probably are already aware, Chrisr, but just in case some people aren't: always be sure to follow a glaze with a wax or sealant as glaze doesn't offer much in the way of protection for your paint.

Yep, Sleepyhead, I'm aware. But I do appreciate the reminder. At least someone will keep me on my toes. :L
I plan on getting some touch up work done on it in the spring, so I'll strip the glaze off and then send it out for the work. When I get it back, I'll do a proper glaze/wax job on it then.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom