Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

GM announces that the Chevrolet Camaro will be "Made in Canada"

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
GM announces that the Chevrolet Camaro will be "Made in Canada"

New C$740 million investment brings recent GM Canada total to over $3 billion

FOR RELEASE: 2006-08-21

Oshawa, Ontario - General Motors of Canada Limited (GMCL) President Arturo Elias announced today that the Oshawa car plant has been selected to manufacture one of GM’s most celebrated new vehicles - the Chevrolet Camaro. The Oshawa plant will build the new Camaro, with early production versions at the end of 2008, with start of sales in the first quarter of 2009. This new product program and conversion of the Oshawa plant to a state of the art flexible manufacturing facility represents a C$740 million investment, with preparatory work beginning immediately.

The new Camaro is a thoroughly modern interpretation of the 1969 icon. GM has indicated that the production version of the Camaro is going to look almost identical to the “Best in Show” concept vehicle first featured at the Detroit Auto Show earlier this year.

“This important new investment for Oshawa would not have been possible without the strong partnership with the CAW and federal, provincial and local governments” said Mr. Elias. “ Oshawa ’s selection to build the new Camaro is a tribute to our employees’ reputation for the industry’s best quality and productivity and further evidence of the exciting comeback happening at GM today.”

CAW president Buzz Hargrove said “Earning the mandate for the new Camaro is a huge accomplishment and is due in part to the reputation of our members for producing great quality vehicles. CAW local 222 has really stepped up with an innovative local agreement that contributed to building a viable business case for the Camaro.”

“Today’s announcement is great news for all GM stakeholders in the Durham Region” said Federal Finance Minister and Member of Parliament for Whitby-Oshawa the Honourable Jim Flaherty. “It builds on GM’s broader integrated innovation investment that includes research partnerships with educational institutes across Quebec and Ontario, including the University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT).”

“GM’s investment in the Camaro program here in Oshawa proves once again that when government and industry work together, the result is a stronger economy and even more opportunity for Ontario families,” said Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty. “Our province’s strength continues to be our highly skilled workforce and our culture of innovation -- and this new investment proves that.” Ontario Minister of Economic Development and Trade Joe Cordiano continued, saying “This announcement is a vote of confidence in this plant, the skill of its workers and Ontario as a place to invest. It shows we can accomplish great things when we all work together.”

Colin Carrie, Member of Parliament for Oshawa and Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Industry, said " Canada offers the essential elements for a vibrant auto industry: strategic location as a gateway to the North American market, and an ideal climate for continued investment. Today's announcement reflects that confidence in our country and our auto industry."
Oshawa Mayor John Gray said “creating a positive investment climate in Oshawa and Durham Region has helped attract important new opportunities like the Camaro program.” Durham Regional Chair Roger Anderson noted “working together to create a competitive local investment environment is the right thing to do for industry.”

The C$740 million investment completes GM Canada’s Beacon project announcement in March 2005 and adds the new Camaro product mandate for Oshawa. This announcement brings GM Canada’s total investment since March 2005 to more than $3 billion.

Headquartered in Oshawa Ontario, General Motors of Canada employs more than 20,000 people nationwide. GM of Canada manufactures a variety of vehicles, engines, transmissions and other components, and markets the full range of General Motors vehicles and related services through 759 dealerships and retailers across Canada. Vehicles sold through this network include Chevrolet, Buick, Pontiac, GMC, Saturn, Hummer, Saab and Cadillac.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/ CONTACT(S):
Heather May
905-644-1996
heather.may@gm.com

smiley-canflag.gif

So what does one say about the "Made in America" slogan? And I am sure the "Made in America" slogan as originally proclaimed did not apply to 'North America, or the America's."

There is nothing wrong with the term, "Made in America," just that businesses have just about managed to make everything, "Not Made in America."

Under the terms of the Auto Pact, General Motors, Ford and Chrysler willingly agreed to build as many cars in Canada as they sold in Canada.

The mix may not be exactly what is sold in Canada, for obvious productivity reasons, but it sure makes sense.

If G.M. wants Canadians to buy their cars, they logically must return the favour through employment. This has worked extremely well since the 1960's.

P.S. Even though G.M. has never assembled a Corvette in Canada, I happily bought one knowing that Impalas, Chevelles, etc. were built right here. ;)

I would rather my car be built in canada than Korea or China.:upthumbs

Glenn
:w

And many others do the same,

If G.M. wants Canadians to buy their cars, they logically must return the favour through employment. This has worked extremely well since the 1960's.

One might wish to tour the Toyota plant in Georgetown, Kentucky. All Toyota's built there are made from 75% of the parts being manufactured in the USA and all steel used is manufactured in the USA. The engines are even manufactured there next door to the main plant.

One may ask or state 75%, but then they need look at the percentages used by GM, Ford, and Chrysler. Just guessing, I would say they probably have some similar mix, percentage wise.

I would rather my car be built in canada than Korea or China.:upthumbs

Glenn
:w
Same here! I have been driving one for 11 years - my 95 Monte Carlo was built at one of the plants which consistently achieves some of the highest quality awards in the industry. Oh yeah, my 84 pickup has a "2" in the front of the VIN also.;)

I'm with Heaven. Our economies are complimentary and neither is out to beat the other to a pulp. Afterall, weren't all of the last gen F-bodies made there and they were certainly fun to drive:D. Canada is one of the few trade partners of the US for whom I feel no disdain.

The U.S.-Canadian trade agreements have made Canada our primary automotive trade partner for decades; although you wouldn't know it from listening to some politicians and people who don't understand the automotive industry, Canada is NOT a "foreign country".
:beer

Oh yeah, my 84 pickup has a "2" in the front of the VIN also.;)

I'm pretty pleased with our "Canadian" Silverado, too.

And let's not forget where our C5 LS1's and LS6's came from, too.

Camaro was built in Canada for a long while. Too bad that all of this comes "after" the plant in St-Therese near Montreal was torn down.

A ton of jobs were lost and now they restart production.
Sad for the workers and theyre families.

Remember the Acadian???

I still remember, as if it was yesterday, when I accompanied my Dad to see and later pick-up from the local GMC dealership our new midnight-blue 1971 Acadian (Canadian version of the NOVA).

That car lasted us for a long time, and after rebuilding the stock 250 engine and adding a TH-350, it earned the respect of a few V8's in my neighborhood.

The cultural and commercial lines between the US and Canada are so blurred that this plant is ensuring both -our cultural and economic future.

GerryLP:cool

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom