Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

News: GM claims 'breakthrough' will make vehicles lighter, help gas mileage

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
GM claims 'breakthrough' will make vehicles lighter, help gas mileage

By Nathan Bomey
Detroit Free Press Business Writer
September 24, 2012

General Motors plans to accelerate the replacement of steel with aluminum after researchers achieved what the company described as a “breakthrough” in welding technology.

GM hopes the technological advancement will boost fuel economy by making its vehicles lighter. Aluminum is lighter than steel, making it an enticing alternative when it is not too expensive. But several hurdles remain for aluminum, including production challenges.

GM believes it has solved one of those challenges: the frustrating process of welding aluminum body panels.

Full Story:GM claims 'breakthrough' will make vehicles lighter, help gas mileage | General Motors news | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

I like how they described GM as having 'dabbled' in aluminium before as far back as 1996... I guess they forgot about the aluminium prototype Corvette built back in 1972 albeit the XP-895 was built by an outside supplier but designed by GM...

1972 XP-895 All Aluminum Corvette - Generations of GM

-Mac

I like how they described GM as having 'dabbled' in aluminium before as far back as 1996... I guess they forgot about the aluminium prototype Corvette built back in 1972 albeit the XP-895 was built by an outside supplier but designed by GM...

1972 XP-895 All Aluminum Corvette - Generations of GM

-Mac

I think GM is still having Reynolds do the Z06/ZR1 Chassis, perhaps they are considering doing it now themselves? :ugh

Chris

I think GM is still having Reynolds do the Z06/ZR1 Chassis, perhaps they are considering doing it now themselves? :ugh

Chris

I thought GM did the hydroforming inhouse but I'm not 100% certain.

-Mac

I did a plant tour a couple weeks ago and if I remember correctly, they hydroform the steel chassis in house but buy the aluminum Z06/ZR1 chassis from another company. However my CRS kicked in and I can't remember the name of that company or where it is. Sorry.

Ron
"Baldie88"

:cool!:

I'm always amazed by these videos. :cool!:

Ron
"Baldie88"

They may be bringing production of the aluminum frames in-house for the C7s, which have been rumored to all have aluminum frames...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom