Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

GM Factory Recalls

john1069

Corvette
1986 & 1993
Hi,
I'm curious if how long does one have to take a car in for factory recalls and service bulletins? They show a seat belt recall for my 1986 Corvette which I know for a fact that it has never been taken in for, so does anyone have or know the answer?

Thanks,
Dr. John

There is no time limit on recalls. You should be able to take your 'Vette in and get the recall taken care of with no issues.

:thumb Jason

Where can I find a full list of recalls by year?

New Vette owner and just want to double check everything.

Kyle

go to: link deleted

and you'll see at the page top "Corvette Recalls", plus there's TSB too!

PS: Twiget, thanks for your answer and reply. I will check with my local GM dealers.

Where can I find a full list of recalls by year?

New Vette owner and just want to double check everything.

Kyle

Kyle, :welcome

We have a Service Bulletin tool that is linked to the NHTSA. This should have all the service bulletins for your 'Vette.

go to: link deleted

and you'll see at the page top "Corvette Recalls", plus there's TSB too!

PS: Twiget, thanks for your answer and reply. I will check with my local GM dealers.

John, no offense, but as a rule, we try not to send traffic to our competitors. :upthumbs

Kyle, :welcome

We have a Service Bulletin tool that is linked to the NHTSA. This should have all the service bulletins for your 'Vette.

John, no offense, but as a rule, we try not to send traffic to our competitors. :upthumbs

Jason,
I know I'm new here, but where out of the nine choices at the top of the main page of this website did you find the link for service bulletins? I looked before I answered his question and I agree about not sending people away, but if it's this hard to find info here, then what do you do?
Don't condem me for trying to help someone, you could have sent me an email asking me to delete it.

Jason,
I know I'm new here, but where out of the nine choices at the top of the main page of this website did you find the link for service bulletins? I looked before I answered his question and I agree about not sending people away, but if it's this hard to find info here, then what do you do?
Don't condem me for trying to help someone, you could have sent me an email asking me to delete it.

I apprecate you trying to help a fellow member, and I did not mean to cause any offense by editing your post. :beer

As for finding the link to the service bulletins, mouse over the "Tech Center" drop down menu and click on the "Knowledgebase" link. The link to the service bulletin search form is in the yellow highlighted box at the top of the page.

I apprecate you trying to help a fellow member, and I did not mean to cause any offense by editing your post. :beer

Ha! Jason,
Thats pretty dangerous messing with someone's post unless its completely inappropriate.....some of us are a little touchy about censorship in any way shape or form! In my old neighborhood messing with the First Amendment might introduce you to the Second Amendment :eek:hnoes or at least this :bash

BTW, I really had NO idea where America's Vancouver is! Ah I googled it...Vancouver Washington...man thats confusing!

That is a good link CAC has though...very usefull!

Technically the recall is still in effect. I Suspect GM will avoid doing it though. I wonder if they will supply correct belt colors or just replacing with the cheaper generic black will fulfill any recall obligation!
:w

Ha! Jason,
Thats pretty dangerous messing with someone's post unless its completely inappropriate.....some of us are a little touchy about censorship in any way shape or form! In my old neighborhood messing with the First Amendment might introduce you to the Second Amendment :eek:hnoes or at least this :bash

BTW, I really had NO idea where America's Vancouver is! Ah I googled it...Vancouver Washington...man thats confusing!

That is a good link CAC has though...very usefull!

Technically the recall is still in effect. I Suspect GM will avoid doing it though. I wonder if they will supply correct belt colors or just replacing with the cheaper generic black will fulfill any recall obligation!

I fully agree with this post. There's no basis for censoring a post unless it's offensive or illegal. If CAC can't tolerate competition or respond to it then your just showing your own weaknesses. Get a set guys. Hiding competition won't make it go away.

Jason: I really appreciate all the work you monitors do to keep the site relevant. However, I also understand and appreciate the comments of the other members commenting on this thread.

It seems to me that the disccourse is now onto nuances of the action and replies you have offered. I know policy is policy; but, sometimes a little empathy could help. Regardless, I suggest that you review your comment concerning guidance to find the same information on CAC. I wonder, as a monitor and an extremely knowledgeable one at that, if you even see the problem. The tab for this particular information under discussion is "buried" in a series of tabs. It seems that it is three or four levels down in the data base. I am quite sure that this makes perfectly good sense and order to the "IT" folks that built the system and maintain the protocols. I suspect, however, that "Corvette Folks" are probably better technology adaptors that the general population but the ability to locate this information and perhaps other information as logical as it may seem to you or an "IT" persons is not what "Corvette Folks" want to do. It suggests that the "IT" folks that do this important work are "NOT CORVETTE OWNERS" or they are so seduced by the elegance of their own handiwork that they have failed to see it from the members (customers) perspective. Perhaps, it might be beneficial for the CAC organization to reflect on the barriers and high thresholds that they have built into their "elegant" system. Do I think it is possible to make everyone happy, NO!, But it is possible that some careful introspective and honest self examination by CAC can improve the experiece for the entire community, staff & members, and in the end that should be the objective. CAC competes in a really aggressive environment where the threshold for entry is relatively low. It would be a real shame if this site were to prove to be not resposive to its members (customers) and they drifted away to other sites where the content may not be as rich or complete but the navigation, tools, guidance, and member/staff interaction is more collegiate and thoughful than this incidence may appear to some. So far IMHO CAC is the gold standard of these sites, please don't ruin it by not considering the various actions and the interaction with the members (customers).

Sorry for prattling on but I have found it relatively easy to get around the mind set that good customer service begins wth the "Press "1" for English, "2" for . . . Etc. I don't mean or intend to offend anyone, Everyone on this issue has raised very valid points. I respect all of them. "But there may be a fundamental problem, which only CAC is able to address."

Very well stated. I have been a member here for a number of yrs and I have to agree that much of the information is buried rather deep. I think a little reorganization of the information or some sort menu would be of great help. I often get frustrated when trying to find something and end up on Google and find the information quicker.

Glenn

I'd like to add another point as well. The lists of Recalls on the "buried" link to NHTSA is accurate.
However, the Service Bulletin link contained within NHTSA is practically useless. There is only ONE listing for 1984.

However, I have at least 2 DOZEN TSB's currently on my site. It would be a dis-service to members if I were to post a link for a problem they were having to a TSB at my site only to have moderators edit the posting in favor of the one used at CAC linking to NHTSA....where none would exist ;)

Its confusing to have Service Bulletins at NHTSA and also in Knowledgebase under each specific Generation. Yes, many of "my" TSB's ARE in the Generation Specific knowledgebase. However, it may take myself or a member referred to the database many minutes or tens of minutes to find what they need. Whereas I KNOW my site and can link them to the info in SECONDS.

Wow, just saw this thread again. I did not realize I opened such a can of whoop-azz on myself. :bash

I deleted the link to another Corvette website as per our Anti-Solicitation policy. One of my fellow moderators came up with a really good analogy to explain the policy: How long do you think someone could walk around the local Lowes, telling people about all the cool stuff at Home Depot, before that person was politely asked to leave by one of the Lowes staff?

I'm not saying linking to other sites is forbidden, because it obviously is not. As I said in a previous post though, as a rule, we try not to send traffic to our competitors, especially when the information is here, on the :CAC.

If you dont know your way around the CAC, I invite you to check us out. You can get to just about anywhere on the CAC, by using the 9 drop-down menus at the top of every page. The forums are definately one of the busier spots here, but we dont call the CAC "The Ultimate Online Source of Corvette News and Incormation" for nothing! And if you have any suggestions on how to make the CAC operate smoother please let us know. I know for a fact that Rob is always open to suggestions for improvements.

If you don't mind, let me chime in here...

Understandably, the Administration is protective and tries to be helpful if the information is here on the site.

I don't mind posting links to other Corvette sites or forums if the link is posted with the intent to help - which, although coming into this thread just now for the first time, I believe that the link to CF was posted to help.

Very cool. That's what we're all here for - to help one another.

However, the comment about the information being buried down 4 levels deep - completely inaccurate.

Unlike all of the other Corvette sites out there, this one is not based solely around forums. The forums here are just one small part of the entire site.

The Corvette Action Center is HUGE in terms of the information it provides and it isn't easy organizing all of it to satisfy everyone that is looking for it.

If you go up to the Tech Cener dropdown menu, and click on Knowledgebase - surprise....you're brought to the knowledgebase, where MANY service bulletins and recall notices already exist all the way back to 1953. You merely have to click on your generation of Corvette, go to the area (such as Electrical and Ignition or Tires and Wheels) and you can see all of the listings in there.

It takes one click to go to the Knowledgebase, one click to select your generation, one click to select the area, and if you see a service bulletin or recall notice in there that relates to you, one click to open it. That's a total of 4 clicks. Given 55 years of Corvette production, that's not bad.

The all of the information here between the Events section, the History section, the Portal section and the Tech Center is organized as efficiently as possible.

For the record - I'm the one that built and designed this site from the ground up - almost 9 years ago. So, for all intents and purposes, I am the IT guy that built this web site, AND I'm a Corvette owner AND a Corvette enthusiast, AND I have built and continue to modify this site not only through the eyes of an IT Administrator, but also the eyes of a casual user / Corvette owner who could be in search of information that happened to stumble upon this site.

For those of you that have been long-term members here, you know very well that I'm fully accessible via PMs, emails or posts in the Help and Feedback forum.

Those of you that have asked me to make changes here know that if they were in my power, I made the changes.

In the past, I've started threads or made posts in here asking for feedback on content and structure here.

If you have suggstions as to how the information can be better organized, I'm always open to suggestion. I will, as I always have, encouraged everyone to either post in the Help and Feedback forum, or contact me personally with your suggestions.

Oh is WAS a link to THAT other place...personally I cant stand THEM which is why I avoid that "place which shall not be spoken" ...so I can sorta understand that as competition. Thanks to both you and Rob making it clearer that you wouldnt delete links to personal websites...just commercial ones that are "competition". :w

I know its VERY hard to organise a small website let alone a giant one like here and I'm sure everybody appreciates all the time and effort! And yes CAC is very responsive to ideas to improve. For instance adding the link to the CrossFire Mine in C4 section for people like me who keep forgetting its there :W:thumb

I think however people ARE confused by the title "knowledgebase". Its just not a generic term most people are used too. Accurate but not memorable. I know when I do use it I read all the other stuff and by process of elimination remember TSB's are under "knowledgebase". It seems that "most" of the Knowledgebase is TSB's so why not call it that? Or something like Knowledgebase/TechServiceBulletins? ;shrug It would just be easier to find.... especially the first time.
Thanks Guys!
:beer

...One of my fellow moderators came up with a really good analogy to explain the policy: How long do you think someone could walk around the local Lowes, telling people about all the cool stuff at Home Depot, before that person was politely asked to leave by one of the Lowes staff?

BTW that Lowes analogy is very bad actually. I've done that MANY times at Lowes and NEVER gotten thrown out. In fact one time a couple of electricians and I were discussing poor product arrangement in Lowes electrical dept compared to Home Depot. Mercury vapor lights and other industrial lights are located 4 ailes away from electrical parts. We started discussing it with an employee who agreed and we even got the manager involved and they actually moved some items around and added end caps and added a sign so it was easier to find things for everybody. Despite all the corporate research the home office did and their dictating where the products "should go"....ultimately local management did what they could for what their customers actually NEEDED.

In fact, Lowes employees HAVE sent me to HomeDepot when I was looking for a particular depth adjustable box they didnt carry but they knew HD did.
Its like in "Miracle on 34th Street" when Macy's Santa sends buyer to Gimbels. Happy Customers and Good PR! :thumb

Oh is WAS a link to THAT other place...personally I cant stand THEM which is why I avoid that "place which shall not be spoken" ...so I can sorta understand that as competition. Thanks to both you and Rob making it clearer that you wouldnt delete links to personal websites...just commercial ones that are "competition". :w

Just so we're clear...no...that's not accurate either.

We don't just delete links to "the competition."

If someone comes here and starts blatantly advertising another site, regardless if it's about Corvettes or dogs, or whatever - yeah, I'm going to delete it. If someone is posting a link to another Corvette site in an effort to help another member - no, I'm not going to delete it regardless of whether or not they are competitor.

Got It!:upthumbs

That really got off track didnt it? :W

So...
-Has ANYONE tried the seat belt recall in past couple of years?

-Any problems getting GM to spring for OEM color rather than cheaper generic black?

-Will they replace driver and passenger at same time or does each side have to "fail" their inspection first?

;shrug

How do you tell if a recall has been done? Is it on record at GM? Is it online? Did they even have computers in 84?

How do you tell if a recall has been done? Is it on record at GM? Is it online? Did they even have computers in 84?

Your local dealer should be able to call up your car's service history to see if a recall has been done.

As for computers in 1984, they were there. The '81 'Vette's carb was computer controlled, as is the Crossfire on the L83's, not to mention the digital dash in the '84's.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom