Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

GM to lay off 75 at BG plant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
GM to lay off 75 at BG plant

Officials cutting Corvette production from 11 cars per hour to eight

By JENNA MINK, The Daily News, jmink@bgdailynews.com/783-3246
Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:57 AM CST

About 75 local residents will be without jobs this Christmas as the General Motors Bowling Green Assembly Plant indefinitely lays off more workers.

Plant officials are in the process of laying off those workers and cutting vehicle production from 11 cars per hour to eight cars per hour.

It has been a tough year for the Corvette plant - a bad economy and company financial troubles have forced the plant to temporarily shut down for a total of 26 weeks this year. And even though GM emerged from bankruptcy and recently reported good sales figures, the local plant still struggles.

"It’s almost positive news because there’s not as much negative news," Bowling Green plant manager Bob Parcell said. "The biggest challenge in the short term is that we (cut production at) the plant, and we’re still struggling to get the pieces of the puzzle put together."

Full Story: Bowling Green Daily News

2010 Production numbers

So at 8 cars per hour. . .

So how many cars will be produced for the current model year?

I'm guessing about 300 vehicles per week. Only question now is: How many weeks will there be production?...

• Admin
So what do we think is the effect in Wixom .....where the engines are assembled? These are highly skilled engine builders.

Here' the way I see it:
It's all economy driven, as you know,and it will probably take a few years to get things to some sanity.
HOWEVER, If we get the multi whammy of cap/trade, govt health care, and a huge debt with its associated inflation, you can kiss off the econony for at least ten+ years or the last year of Obamas third term. The BG plant will completely shut and the useless Volt will finally kill the last of GM. Your Vette will be worthless and you will be buying a Chrysler Fiat 500.

If we are so blessed that health care & cap/trade fails and someone proposes some tax reduction, you would see the economy explode like the Reagan years. Only then will the debt be controlled and we will head off massive (post war germany style) inflation.

So it will either get better pretty soon or hold on to your hat.

Here' the way I see it:
It's all economy driven, as you know,and it will probably take a few years to get things to some sanity.
HOWEVER, If we get the multi whammy of cap/trade, govt health care, and a huge debt with its associated inflation, you can kiss off the econony for at least ten+ years or the last year of Obamas third term. The BG plant will completely shut and the useless Volt will finally kill the last of GM. Your Vette will be worthless and you will be buying a Chrysler Fiat 500.

If we are so blessed that health care & cap/trade fails and someone proposes some tax reduction, you would see the economy explode like the Reagan years. Only then will the debt be controlled and we will head off massive (post war germany style) inflation.

So it will either get better pretty soon or hold on to your hat.
a lot of corvette sales were leases and till GM starts leasing again the sales will be slow. my dealer said 40% of his corvette sales were leases. these leases are up and that is why you see so many used corvettes on the market because they can not lease a new one unless you want to pay 12%+ intrest.

Ford is really outdoing Chevy with their incentives. The Mustangs are flying out the dealer's doors! Corvette incentives are not much of an incentive! I'm close to pulling the trigger if they would just come down a bit more. I bet a lot of other are too! Additonally, I hate to think what they would offer me for my for my 2000 as a trade!!

The new Camaro took some sales from the Corvette. Me, I'd never pay 40K plus for a new Camaro. my .02 . Happy Holidays.

We picked up our new Equinox yesterday. There were dozens of new Vettes on the lot, and waiting lists for Camaros and Equinoxes. The downturn has hit the Vette marketplace hard.

Oh .... do they still make corvettes??? :w
You would never know it from the (lack of) advertising.
I guess the govt didnt approve any ads. When was the last time you saw a vette ad??:Steer
They are paying almost as much for a camaro as for a vette!!
YET if you ask a camaro owner they would tell you that they couldnt afford $125K.
BUT we know the reality.:boogie

Oh .... do they still make corvettes??? :w
You would never know it from the (lack of) advertising.
I guess the govt didnt approve any ads. When was the last time you saw a vette ad??:Steer
They are paying almost as much for a camaro as for a vette!!
YET if you ask a camaro owner they would tell you that they couldnt afford $125K.
BUT we know the reality.:boogie

The last Corvette ad campaign was years ago - well before the bailout. BTW the ad money SHOULD go to the bread and butter cars that will save GM.

I never could understand advertising, like why someone would drink pepsi because Michael Jackson liked it???
That said I thought that the Vette ads were to promote "floor" traffic to sell the others??

They are probably using the Camaro for that. The Camaro has more $$ to recoup.
I guess I will never figure it out.

The last time I saw a Corvette in a commercial was back when they introduced the Cobalt. That wasn't that long ago.

Would it hurt to put a "cameo appearance" in with another "bread and butter" model (like they are doing with the Camaro today).

The last time I saw a Corvette in a commercial was back when they introduced the Cobalt. That wasn't that long ago.

Would it hurt to put a "cameo appearance" in with another "bread and butter" model (like they are doing with the Camaro today).

The Cobalt was introduced in mid 04 as an 05 model. 5 years plus - time goes fast when you're havin' fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom