Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

GM's V8 Production Down by Half - Should Next Gen Corvette Adopt a V6 to Keep Up with the Times?

Should The Next Gen Corvette Keep Up With The Times And Adopt A V6?

• Yes

Votes: 41 10.6%
  • No

Votes: 341 87.9%
  • Unsure

Votes: 6 1.5%

• Total voters
Horsepower vs MPG

My 2000 Coupe gets 29-31 mpg on the highway. The LS engine is the best engine in the world right now if you agree that the cost per horsepower can't be beat anywhere. The grand national 3.8Ltr. V6 in1987 put out more horsepower per cubic inch than any factory engine ever build by GM. But it got terrible MPG. Stick with the V8. Reliable and cost effective. Need more HP, put a supercharger or turbo on the base Vette engine and you are next to the LS7 engine.

V8 vs V6

There are purist out there that only want a V8, and there are folks that just love to drive a Corvette and would prefer a V6. With gas at almost $4 a gallon where I live, how many folks have the money to drive for any distance in a Vette? I would say that GM offer both the V8 and V6 and satisfy everyone. GM needs to answer the question as to how many more Vettes they can sell using the V6 motor. Remember, it is all about selling cars and making money.

I could care less about new Corvettes because I will likely never buy one.

I know the new style is fast and efficient compared to the old chrome bumper cars.

But my preference is still 1972 and down. Flaws and all.

A Corvette with a V6 is not for me ever.

I might pick up a good used new style one of these days as they depreciate down to a fraction of new cost.

But it is going to have a V8!

No!

I have two Vettes and, of course, they're used. I could never afford a new Vette until it's at least 10 years old and I won't live long enough to get a C7 6 cylinder, so I don't really care, but a 6 banger is a stupid idea by Obama Motors. You want a six, get something else. This gas price scare is Obama's fault and will pass when he does along with wasting money on ugly, overpriced, electric cars nobody really wants and pie in the sky green energy crap that doesn't really work except in his empty head. No substitute for cubes, displacement, and the thrill I get in my cars. They can do what they want, but I ain't buying it and just thinking about it is a sin.

I voted no, partly because I don't buy the presupposition that a V6 is automatically lighter and better fuel economy, but on second thought, as long as it is an inline 6 with a chrome valve cover and carbs, I am ok with it for nostalgia's sake ;)

The Corvette is the All American Sports Car.

Screw the V6. Keep the American Sports car V8 powered its part of its history. Who cares what the European car companies are doing. If you are one of the people that think it should move towards the 6 cylinder, you are owning a Corvette for the wrong reasons. Whats next make the Corvette a four door passenger car, because that's what BMW has. A perfect example, when VW brought back the bug and made it with a front mounted engine, all the VW fans hated it, because they took away the vintage history of the car.

Is it really the V8 that defines a Corvette?

My two cents here is that, for me its not COMPLETELY about the V8 engine sound
that pushes my buttons. I own and have owned lots of Sportscars with different
power trains and appreciate all of them. I love the Corvette for lots of reasons
and the sound and torque of the V8 is only one of them.

For the Corvette
I think we need to look at all the things that make it iconic and distill it
down to its core elements:

1. 2 seater
2. Sexy looks
3. Affordable
performer related to other "supercars".
4. All American

Now some would
add "Pushrod V8" to this list, but I am not sure that is really as true as you
all are thinking.

We all accept that forced induction can turn V6's and even 4 cylinder engines into the equal of a NA V8. Years ago Ryan Falconer was making over 1100HP in the Corvette GTP car with a pushrod V6!

I dont think the V6 question is about economy since anyone knows from brake specific HP that it takes a similar about of fuel burned to produce a given about of HP. The difference is only in the efficiency of the process and design that makes the power. The current V8 Corvette get great fuel mileage though the use of very tall O/D gearing. There may also be elements of politics or production cost considerations at work here, but that is out of the scope of my comments.

So what it really comes down to is
"Character vs Performance".

With that in mind, I dont think this survey is really asking a fair question. "It depends" is the real answer. Lets try to drill down a little deeper here.

See if you can answer these next questions honestly and you will be more able to see the bigger picture.

Lets say Chevrolet produces only two C7 models in 2014, both have similar body styles and options
choices.

1. The Grand Sport. LSX V8 440HP 3400 pounds very similar performance sound and economy to the current car at $60K

2. A ZR1 with a high tech Forced induction V6, very light weight 3000 pounds but with 700 HP at
$80k

Which one appeals to you? Are you OK, with the V8 rumble knowing that a V6 is going to eat your lunch at every stoplight? If so, that's fine, but I'll bet there are lots of Vette guys that might choose the performer in this choice and be fine with the "whine!"

I am OK with that choice, but this next one scares me a little:

Chevy produces three C7 models in 2014, both have
similar body styles and option packages.

1. C7 Base model. V6 turbo ecotec, 440 HP 3200 pounds $50k

2. ZR1 LSX V8 Forced induction 650+ HP 3200 pounds at $100k

3. GS model with a NA LSX V8 3400 with 440HP at $60k

There is no right answer here, but if money was no object, in the first choice I buy the V6, but in the second choice I probably buy the NA V8.

I guess the point of this post was to just see the bigger picture and know that there might be SOME situation where a V6 might be attractive and if Chevy is smart, they will keep a NA V8 in the lineup. We buy our cars for both performance and "Character". The cylinder count is only important for the latter.

For reality perspective I have a C6 Z06, because I like the "Character" of the big NA V8 and I can live with the ZR1 being the faster Vette. So, for me, the "Character" outweighs the "Performance" in my Corvette choice.

So what are your thoughts here about MY little survey?

size is not always about power

I had several Nissan Z cars in my earlier days and the twin turbo v6 engines were awesome. The cars had 300+ horses when the Corvettes of the time had less. I would imagine a twin turbo v6 hopped up by GM would certainly be able to crank out the horses that the current v8 does and maybe on less fuel.

Stupid Idea!

I didn't buy a Corvette to go slow and save gas! I bought it to speed and burn up gas. Don't worry though, I bought a bunch of "carbon credits" on line from Al Gore and it doesn't matter how I drive.:thumb

No V6

The V6 will be the end of the Corvette. Do not let it happen.

I have had 23 Corvettes and will never buy one with a V6 in it.

Larry in Kansas

Lead, or Follow???

Why not. It's about time technology played a bigger role in the Corvette's engine. Twin turbos, DFI, etc. There is a lot of potential there to leave it unused. I'm not so hung up on the number of cylinders as I am on the overall performance. Ferrari does some great things with smaller displacement V8's, BWM and Acura do some great things with 6's. Cylinder count doesn't matter so much anymore.

Amazing. The C7 and the next gen SBC isn't even out yet and some have concluded that we should FOLLOW the sacred cows of Europe and Japan. BS! Let them FOLLOW US.

If someone is spending close to or over $100,000 do they really care about a few more miles-per-gallon? No, GM/Chevy should KEEP the big V8, be distinctive, and let the cows from Europe and the Land of the Rising Sun moo all they want about their little, high-strung 4 and 6 bangers that cost WAY MORE than the Corvette. And if you don't like the seats in your C6, buy a set of Recaros. You'll be WAY ahead of the crowd.

Here's a good question. How come the Corvette seems to be the only high performance sports car that gets wacked for not being available to younger buyers because it's too expensive? Excluding the SS and ZL1 Camaro, is there a cheaper, high-end, performance sports car than the Corvette? The 911 Turbo S is around $130,000 and they never utter a peep about the price. And how come Road & Track and Motor Trend doesn't carp and complain about that almost 4,000 pound Nissan tub? yea, it's because they like those performance numbers. But here's a number I'd like to see - the cost of replacing those complex AWD drive trains when the car is about 5 years old.

What it comes down to is this. There always has been and always will be those that hate the Corvette and anything from America. Why? Just because. So then, spend almost DOUBLE for a car with better seats. That's just BRILLIANT. - K. Scott Teeters - http://www.CorveteReport.com

Absolutely not... never downgrade a Corvette to a V/6!!! We already have Ford producing a higher HP V/8 in their Mustangs. Corvettes are not bought for fuel economy,although I get amazing fuel efficiency with my LS3.:happyanim:

I agree.

PS: Beginning 2012, BMW has moved away from the I6 for its 3-series opting instead for a lighter, more efficient but just as potent I4. The Germans aren't dumb.

by all means. We should copy what others are doing. :duh
:duh

What ever happened to the economy Z-06 with very little options that never happen? It they must, put a V-6 in a basic Corvette entry level model. Then see how that takes off. But keep what they have now.

I tend to agree with ''OFFER BOTH''. Problem is, we ere still operating under GOVERNMENT MOTORS. And it would not surprise me one bit to see CORVETTE become its own car company. It then would have to produce a few models to stay alive. Look at the MIATA. Over 1,000,000 made since the original in 1990.

There is a market out there for both small and large engine cars. Make a ''baby'' vette like the old OPEL GT in 1968. That might add to the pizzas of the car don't you think. The new ''workers'' might get excited about buying s piece of capitalism

Another response via email:
V6 or V8 in a C7? They both have good preformance....Gas prices and mpg will determine the outcome. A much bigger concern is quality of the product.
I always wanted a corvette and at 57 yoa I bought a new C5. The first few years were great... then it statred to have problems. I read the corvette threads online and so many people have the same propblems. Why hasn't GM figured these things out? My car is Garaged, has 50000. miles, and a trulypampared life hasn't saved it. The turn signals worksome ofthe time, headlight gears stripped, digital displays died, cruise control died, seats move around, active handling died, cheap interior trim breaks, the engine is noisy. I'm disappointed with Corvette. The car is beautifle but only skin deep.
Tom Charles in Fort Lauderdale, FL.

I had a 2000 WS6 Ram Air with the V8 LS1 engine, I have since had an In-Line 6 Lexus IS300 and a Cadillac CTS 3.6L V6, the LS1 got better mileage than either, why would I ever vote for way less power and worse mileage???

I've owned big block muscle cars that bearly got 14 MPG and weighed 4200# - R/T Charger and Hemi Runner (only 10 MPG).

I owned a GN Buick with the turbo V6. It got 24 MPG and weighed 3600#. 4-sp auto didn't help there. Nice car and quicker than the Vettes of the time but nothing compared to the Hemi for performance but it had air, power everything and good mileage. Nice compromise until technology caught up with cars.

When I started looking at sports cars, I checked out the turbo V6's that were available in the early 1990's and found then lacking something - response. The 350Z with the 3.0 V6 and the others like it didn't have the low end "grunt" of may lowly 250 HP GN and needed to be revved up all the time to get the most out of them - kinda like a recent Honda S2000.

At the time I didn't like the idea of buying a 250 HP Vette that felt better to drive but didn't have the 300 HP of the foreign turbo sixs. Gulf War I got in the way and I came back to find the '92 Vette with 300 HP and that's what I bought. 18 MPG in town and 28 MPG on the highway. No lag and a lot of fun to drive.

20 years later, turbo-charged engines have changed a lot. Way less lag, more low end torque and better gas mileage (more gears in the trans). I like the idea of a V6 with turbos in the Vette - great performance and better economy. I don't see it happening anytime soon (like Hib) but we shouldn't count it out.

Putting a turbo V6 in the Vette would be okay with me so long as the performance is still there.

Supercharged cars are great for instance power but pay the price with less economy. My V Wagon sucks for mileage but the power is right there when I want it. Now if I can get a twin turbo with the power of the LSA, the economy of the LS3 and no lag; I'd be there. In the mean time, I'm going to buy the '13 427 CE vert.

Now for a truly great sound, I love the V12 of the Ferrari. Now if I could win the Lottery!
Until then I'

I had a 2000 WS6 Ram Air with the V8 LS1 engine, I have since had an In-Line 6 Lexus IS300 and a Cadillac CTS 3.6L V6, the LS1 got better mileage than either, why would I ever vote for way less power and worse mileage???

Gears and weight and air drag all need to be considered. Comparing the Vette to either is apples and oranges to me.

Voted No

You know the V8 sound really is difficult to replace when its so damn good!
I believe keeping the V8 and using the technology to improve both performance and economy is an asset to a corporation that has a demand for so many V8's in trucks etc. At this stage of the game its a win win to retain V8 power, sound and torque!
Having a car on the track has also proved to be an asset through R&D not just for Corvette but other models too.

My gut says NO! However, with the advances in technology they can get plenty of snort out of a 6. A twin turbo would be cool.

No, it just wouldn't be a Vette without a narly V8 :happyanim:

i10fwy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom