Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Going to the track Sunday

NotSlo

Corvette
1996 LT4 RP Black/Tan
Test and tune... My best so far is 13.3 @ 106.3 mph

Haven't been able to get my 60 ft. times below 2.2 so if I can do that this Sunday I should be in the 12's! Wish me luck!

Mods are:
TB bypass, cut lid, K&N, 160 degree thermo, MSD wires, Nitto 555 tires.

vette902.jpg

What elevation is your track at? I'm at about 80 feet, and when my car had a similar mod list to yours, I got a best of 12.8 @ 109 on regular radials (1.98 60 foot), so your goal seems very achievable. Good Luck

I was nearly jumping out of my seat when I made my first 12 second pass. It felt awesome, especially after being used to low 14s/high 13s with the Mustang I owned before.

Trance_LT4 said:
What elevation is your track at? I'm at about 80 feet, and when my car had a similar mod list to yours, I got a best of 12.8 @ 109 on regular radials (1.98 60 foot), so your goal seems very achievable. Good Luck

I was nearly jumping out of my seat when I made my first 12 second pass. It felt awesome, especially after being used to low 14s/high 13s with the Mustang I owned before.

Looks like we're at around 890 feet here in Columbus. I just looked at the weather and there's a possibility of showers (30%)

Hopefully it will hold out enough for me to get a few runs in! :D

Goin' to the track !

Hello all !
I have been out of the net lately, but I am back for awhile ! I just wanted to get my .02 in on this subject. I made it to the track last night (thur.) and my second ever pass in the car netted me a 13.57 @ 104 mph. I didn't bump the rev limiter on either pass. I really think my car will see a 12 sec. pass just as it sits, however after the second pass I had a strong smell of too hot clutch ! The mods on my car right now are, K&N filter, air foil, factory exhaust resonator removed, dynomax ultraflow mufflers installed. I may go back to the track tomorrow (Sat.) and let a little air out of the tires, and maybe see if bumping the rev limiter will get me into the 12's ! The track I go to is just outside of Aiken, SC, you can find them on the net at carolinadragway.com, it is only about twenty minutes from here in Augusta, Ga where I am.

:J
Steve.

Gool luck at the track NotSlo. A 12 second pass would be excelent! With the exception of the 160 Degree Thermo, your mods are pretty close to mine. I've also got a Corsa cat-back exhaust system, and in about 2 weeks the crappy GSC's are going in the trash, to be replaced by some BFG TA-KD's. I cant wait!

Let us know what your times are.

Jason

I forgot to mention my muffler eliminators! I love the way it sounds! Here is a link to an AVI file of my exhaust
http://www.rufalo.com/eliminators.avi

I cleaned up the throttle body today and am going over the car with a fine tooth comb. 12's this weekend!!!!!

:_rock:_rock:_rock:_rock:_rock:_rock

Notslo,

You need to play with your tire pressure and focus on the 60 foot zone. The LT1/4 has to be cranking some higher RPMs to motivate the back tires. This gets tricky in launching the car because you are popping off the line at a higher RPM to keep the hsp up.

If you could find some old 16" 1987 rims to put on the rear with some drag radials, or street hoosiers, etc. you would be amazed at how much lower your ET would go. The MPH might not change much, but that is not as important as the bottom line anyway.

For example, my torque monster 383 in my 85 would run 13.0 and barely break 105 mph. But it would smoke out the 60' in less than 1.8 on street tires. That equates to some Mustang devistation in red light to red light battle.

Good luck.

I put my rear tire pressure at 24 psi when I drag race. This nets me between 1.98-2.02 consistent 60 foot times with Bridgestone Potenzas (285/40/ZR17)

69MyWay said:
Notslo,

You need to play with your tire pressure and focus on the 60 foot zone. The LT1/4 has to be cranking some higher RPMs to motivate the back tires. This gets tricky in launching the car because you are popping off the line at a higher RPM to keep the hsp up.

If you could find some old 16" 1987 rims to put on the rear with some drag radials, or street hoosiers, etc. you would be amazed at how much lower your ET would go. The MPH might not change much, but that is not as important as the bottom line anyway.

For example, my torque monster 383 in my 85 would run 13.0 and barely break 105 mph. But it would smoke out the 60' in less than 1.8 on street tires. That equates to some Mustang devistation in red light to red light battle.

Good luck.

I tried this last year and had my best time ever with the pressure right at 32 psi and launching at 2500 RPM or so. That's the fun of Test and Tune, playing with these things. I know that if I get my 60 ft times below 2.0 I will be in the high 12's...that is my goal tomorrow for sure! I will scan the track slips and post them if it happens!

Sat. Nite Track Report !

Hello Everybody !:w

O.K., here's the latest on my CE ! I made it to the track again tonight, and I surprised myself ! My best time of the night was a 13.2 @ 105 mph, with a 1.96 60' time. I did this with 32 psi of air in the tires, and launched the car at about 2,000 rpm. I still haven't ran it against the rev limiter, and I didn't shift it out of 3rd gear, I just left it in third and kept laying the fuel to her ! I really feel that when I open the airlid up, relocate the MAF sensor, and bypass the throttle body coolant, I will see a high 12 second pass ! I am just floating on cloud nine though with a 13.2 pass though, I gotta tell you !:beer

Steve.

Nice! Looks like no track for me today. T-Storms and rain today. Have to wait until next Sunday. :cry

Raining again today! Dangit! One more Sunday of Test and Tune left at this track then the regular season starts. This Sunday rain is really annoying!

:hb:hb:hb:hb:mad:mad:mad:mad

Another Sat. nite reprt !

Hello all !

I just wanted to post my best time from last night at the track, and see what everyone thought about it. I went 13.1 @ 105mph, and that was on a 2.0 sixty foot time. The current state of tune for my car is K&N airfilter, air foil, exhaust resonator removed, DynoMax Ultraflow mufflers, and Hypertech Stage III power programer installed on ecm. I definitely feel this car will see a 12 sec time consistently just as it is, and that just has me in awe of this LT4 engine !!

:w
Steve.

Re : Having a Blast !

Hello All, and Ken !

Yes Ken I did have a good time last night ! My buddy finally pulled a 13.6 out of his Slobra, plus it was his last night at the track due to his imminent departure for an overseas assignment. Ken, I just wonder what I could do to get my 60 ft times down ? I have gtten a 1.96 60 ft. but I just don't know the in's and out's of this IRS suspension on my vette like I know the fox body mustangs. I am going to have to get ready for a clutch replacement in my car very soon, and I was wondering if you could give me guidance on who to call ? I left an e-mail on centerforce's website as their clutch is the only one I would consider for this car ! I am still going back and forth on whether I should go with an aluminum flywheel or not. I like my car just fine with out the marbles in a coffe can rattle evryone says they get after installing an aluminum flywheel in thier car ! Thanks all !

:w
Steve.

Wow! 13.1, thats awesome!

I'm not sure what you could do to get your 60ft times down as I've never run my GS on the track (that will change in 2 weeks though:)).

Jason

Ack, I had a HORRIBLE night at the track Friday. Everyone was running off-times cause the conditions were so bad. People were breaking down left and right, leaving oil out, ect ect ect.

I couldn't get any 60 foot times under 2.2, and I was running 13.1s @113 mph (about a half second off my pace) and sliding all over in second gear. It was also hot out, so all my runs were made at 200deg F even after icing the intake.

Mad-Mic had the same luck, barely able to get into the 14s. My local track is only 10 minutes away. Maybe I oughta take the extra 30 minutes and drive to a full-on NHRA track with a better burnout box.

yeah that would help.....

but any hot day it gets greasy and with the humidity as high as it was i could feel the difference in hp. capital is ok but you won't really notice a difference anywhere else in overall times....i hear some say at capital and other tracks there is upto a .2 difference in time...just hard to believe from 1 track to another unless your running really fast 10's and quicker. i think it's more the corrected altitude and track temp more so the track itself.... later that night around 10 pm i turned in a 14.57 but with a 2.13 60 ft my best was a 2.08 (a different night with low temps) trance is right though even after icing i was upto 220 water 210 oil when i staged at 160 water and lo oil temp netted my quickest run back in march. the one guy with the LT-1 93 i got him dipped in high 13's he said if his wife don't come this friday he'll let me take it for a lap :D

this friday was HUMID!!!!!!!!!

then the rain came......could only bust a 2.20 60 ft time.....everyone was having troubles but was fun :D that one dude with the 93 LT-1 came back down the guy with the 98 that was in the shop came down with his rrubel with his 86 and his friends 93 LT-1 looked like the one guys up top but with beige interior (both black cars) and me. i'll tell ya all 5 vettes cooling down with hoods open inline looked WAY better than the 6 or so eclipses (ricers) sitting in the next row over......lol :D :L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom