Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Good deal on a '63 vert?

McD

Corvette
'69 Fathom Green Conv and '63 Tuxedo Black Conv
Hi all,
I am the proud owner of a '69 vert and am on the verge of buying a '63. It's got the correct block and most other engine components. The suspension has been upgraded using NOS, and when I took her for a spin, she was strong! It also includes the hardtop and a slew of spare parts from Ecklers/Mid America, etc. Now as for the negs...the cars soft top is a mess. Definately needs some bow work done (it does come with a brand new soft top skin) and I see those can be a pain to work on by yourself. Next, the instrument cluster doesn't work, the guages are newer and correct, but the current owner claims they were never hooked up (he claims simle fix). The other main issue I have is the car was originally Daytona Blue w/Dark Blue interior. Car is now Tuxedo Black w/Red interior (I love the Black/Red combo though!) :)

Anyway I can pick this car up for $28K

Any thoughts on the car and the buy price?

McD

Hey McD - I'm no expert but am willing to offer my opinion :) The price seems good based on what I've seen/heard other cars going for. BIG CAVEAT is that there isn't a lot of detail in your description to really say if its a good price. Motor and how the car is optioned affect the price - and I mean substantially!

To me (non-expert), 28K for a C2 in good condition doesn't seem unreasonable. If you really like the car then I'd say go for it!

Hey McD - I'm no expert but am willing to offer my opinion :) The price seems good based on what I've seen/heard other cars going for. BIG CAVEAT is that there isn't a lot of detail in your description to really say if its a good price. Motor and how the car is optioned affect the price - and I mean substantially!

To me (non-expert), 28K for a C2 in good condition doesn't seem unreasonable. If you really like the car then I'd say go for it!

Yeah, I don't have all the specifics (sorry). What I do know, that I didn't mention, is the engine is 327/300HP, and it has a 4 spd tranny. Without the build sheet or tank sticker, I don't know if I'll be able to figure out all options (any other ideas?). I'll be speaking with another owner of the car (hopefully tomorrow) and be able to get more info. Most places I've checked show this car going for roughly $40K, so I feel the price is right, even with some of the things I'd need to work on.

McD

dirver

28k is the correct price for a driver. The top will cost quit a bit to get fixed, unless you can do it your self. Inportant things are the birdcage, and frame. If you plan on keeping it orginal, 63 parts are costly as a lot are 1 year only. If the birdcage or frame is rusted, walk away. No build sheets on c2's until '67. Good luck, it sounds like a nice car.
Ted:)

28k is the correct price for a driver. The top will cost quit a bit to get fixed, unless you can do it your self. Inportant things are the birdcage, and frame. If you plan on keeping it orginal, 63 parts are costly as a lot are 1 year only. If the birdcage or frame is rusted, walk away. No build sheets on c2's until '67. Good luck, it sounds like a nice car.
Ted:)

Ted,
Thanks for the info, I'm far from a C2 expert. Frame looked good, but is there a real good way to thoroughly inspect the birdcage? I'm not too worried about originality; don't get me wrong I want the car as correct as possible, but right now I want to be able to get in to a '63 before they're WAY out of my league ;) I can replace with original parts as I go along if need be, but for now I want to drive it without worrying too much about originality and such.

McD

If its a solid car buy it as I don't see any C2s that are in good driving condition NOM or not for under 30K. Just my opinion.

Best regards,
Gerry

If its a solid car buy it as I don't see any C2s that are in good driving condition NOM or not for under 30K. Just my opinion.

Best regards,
Gerry

Gerry,
I've done a TON of browsing around and I've come to the same conclusion. I'll be picking up the car tomorrow ;)

Thanks!

McD

McD,

Congratulations, and good luck with your NEW C2.

Gerry

McD,

Congratulations, and good luck with your NEW C2.

Gerry

All,
Thanks, I bought the car today :D. Sad part is, it was raining so damned much today I left it at the previous owners house after the sale. I won't get it now until Friday as I head down to the Kenai River for some King Salmon fishing. I'm not much of a fisherman, but I hear this is the place to do it. They pulled the World Record King out of the Kenai....a 97lbs monster!

Is it too much to ask for even more luck....this time for fishing? ;D

McD

FWIW I bought a 68 without any soft top or frame. Buying parts from Ebay was able to put a soft top on it for @$1200 I did all the work except installing the skin. The install was $250 at a local trim shop. The frame was in "fair" condition when I got it but with some patience and a lot of PB Blaster I got it working good. Its not NCRS correct but a good driver.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom