Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Got C6 last nite, first drive impression

Rat Race

Wow is not all I could say. This is a stunning, beautiful car. Spun the rear tires getting on highway from dealer, in heavy Xmas shopping traffic. Very light clutch. Just drove it slow, in the right lane up Rt 17 here in Jersey, and settled in and just get a feel for car. Nice 6 speed, short and tight, but at first couldnt remember what gear I was in, thought they shoulda had a little number on dash as to what gear your in. No biggie, Ill get used to it.

Stalled car twice , very light clutch, and exhaust note is quiet at idle so I had to work on that too. Oops.

Heads up display is cool, it will wow my friends who see car, but I kept turning it on and off to see if I liked it, I guess somewhere along the line it will have its place.

Drove slow just in awe of this car, what a light feel it has, and I cant get over its beauty, its like Im inside a beautiful babe, soft sexy lines from every angle, along every sight line. Too much. Looking out over the front, I could of swore I was in a 69, its just the first thing that hit me, not a bad thing. This is arguably the best looking car Ive ever seen, the lines are perfect. And once, when I punched it coming out onto another highway from a very nice winding and elongated on ramp, the car felt more than ever like an old Vette, and I have hardly ever been in old Vettes, I just thought to myself this is what they must have felt like, this is what their all about, huge power in a fiberglass body, but this aint no old Vette, this is the high tech result of perfecting a linage. I cant get over this car.

Wish i could have drivin it more but was tired last nite, and and wanted to get an Xmas tree for 20% off. (Coupon for last nite only) So I drove it home, opened the garage and parked it.

I drove it all the way up to the front wall, untill I got out and noticed I had 3 feet behind me, this car was short too, so I backed it up a bit and that was that.

Lastly, after a couple of hours I went back in the garage to stare, I couldnt help thinking this car looks real exotic, and one would think its priced way more than what I paid for it. You have to step down in my garage, just one step, but even from that vantage point, a little above an already low sitting car you can see how it all comes together in a fluid red sparkle mass of eye kandy that just came home from the gym, and is pumped. Like I said, too much.

I feel a little guilty about driving and owning this car, dont know exactly why, I see other cars out there that are far more exspensive, but i think when you get this car it means its about you, and you only. Thats fine, but its a brand new feeling to me to buy such a personal, non public display of self centeredness. Did anyone of you ever feel like this at first?

Good story and congrats on the new C6!

:w
Guy

I know the feeling...

You sure nailed it there. I had the same feeling when I brought mine home. Even though it's an older girl, I still felt giddy and slightly selfish. And the lines, ohhhh yeahhhh, I love sitting in this car....

When I parked her in the former spot of the Chevelle SS ('72 also) I was amazed at how much more room I had in the garage...

I proceeded to promptly fill up that space with more "stuff"...:)

Rick

:w

Damn you make a fella feel really jealous. Great story though.:upthumbs

I can only add one thing, it gets better!!

Enjoy.

Good story

One point of caution---just realize that that baby sits about 5" off the ground and the front end is longer than it appears to the driver, so you really have to be careful approaching parking bumpers and blocks, otherwise that first scrapping noise will bring out an "Oh, damn!" response. I'm still cautious with my 04 and it is still a challenge parking it. :)

You felt like you were inside what?:) Tell us more, please!:D
I still have to keep reminding myself that there's a few feet more in the front than what I can see in my '71.
Funny thing about what you said about feeling as though you didn't deserve the car.....I felt EXACTLY the same way until this year. I had forgotten all about that feeling until you just mentioned it. I wonder why that's so? I've wanted on ever since I can remember....maybe it's the fact that I waited all those years before I finally realized my dream? Any psych's out there?

I guess a person whos been giving all his life (Dads all over the US of A) especially around the holidays can make a little guilt set in. I mean, this aint no Pathfinder! The guilt was so bad that today I gave my still married but ex wife my credit card, and said I know you want to shop, here. (We agreed at the counslers that she gets a certain amount each month), but today I felt like I dont need anything more so go have fun. I know ill feel the pain later, but whattya gonna do?

When i said inside (it was early this morning I was still pie eyed) that didnt come out right, I should have said with a babe, sorry. Face it babes are hot and so is the car and that is what i meant.

So it snowed today, but proceeded to melt a bit, and then it got cold so its not wet and slushy and roads started drying, I was tempted to drive it tonight but ill wait.

One thing i think i forgot to say is that when I was kneeling down looking at the tires, and looked across the hood the car was a dead ringer for a Ferrari, whatever that one is, with the exposed headlights, i think a Maranello. Also forgot to mention car had a rattle somewhere up by the rear of the plastic roof, tried to push on the latch when driving, but when i turned around a bit it sounded like it was coming from the holders or somewhere, got to check it tomorrow.

Ill definatly keep the nose length and height in mind.

Congrats on the new "babe"!! What color is it and can you post any pictures?

Enjoy!!

Rat Race said:
When i said inside (it was early this morning I was still pie eyed) that didnt come out right, I should have said with a babe, sorry. Face it babes are hot and so is the car and that is what i meant.

Hey, don't sound so apologetic. I got a good chuckle over that statement!:)
And I have also posted many a message on this board while consuming (and after consuming) several Budweisers!

Enjoy that car, and take some pics for us, please.

-John

I am glad that you are enjoying your new ride. I felt the same way about 7 weeks ago. Guilty? Nope. But, my poor yukonxl has been relagated to being parked outside. Talk about having more space in the garage.....

Rat Race said:
I feel a little guilty about driving and owning this car, dont know exactly why, I see other cars out there that are far more exspensive, but i think when you get this car it means its about you, and you only. Thats fine, but its a brand new feeling to me to buy such a personal, non public display of self centeredness. Did anyone of you ever feel like this at first?

I felt exactly the same way when I got mine a few weeks ago. Still haven't quite gotten over it, but what can you do? A new Corvette is a head-turner and you know that everyone's looking at you thinking exactly what you used to think: "I'll bet that guy is a jerk!" simply because they're not behind the wheel. Maybe over time, I'll be less self-conscious about it, but it's not quite like the feeling that I get when tooling around in the '72 on a sunny day. Maybe it's the cost...maybe it's the exotic super-car feeling that a C6 has.

DSC06565M_2.jpg

I'm supposed to get mine in about 4-6 weeks from now at NCM. It's funny how many of the members talk about that odd feeling of ownership kind of guilty feeling. I've decided to look at it from the standpoint I'm helping keep fellow Americans in Bowling Green and Detroit employed and GM from being passed by Toyota, since I would have probably bought an Infiniti, MB or Lexus if I hadn't gotten Vette. I'm glad to buy American and have no fear of doing so, since my current Olds Intrigue, which I'm keeping, and my former Pontiac Bonneville are and was very reliable. I'm getting a Monterrey Red Coupe also. Did you get the Cashmere interior?

Congrats, and great story. I've always bought American myself, but it becomes more difficult to do so as the years go by and you hear horror stories from friends about their American vehicles. I won't go into a fairly long story of a friend that recently purchased a new Ford F150, and quickly dumped it for a Toyota Tacoma. He was willing to take a bath on the thing just to get rid of it, and it was only about 8 months old.
The vettes are a different story though, they're in a class by themselves in my opinion. Nothing will ever replace the vette in my book.

I have got to check out that color in person. It looks so good that I believe if you park it somewhere in the open, when you come back you may find lick marks all over it.

RaZr said:
I'm getting a Monterrey Red Coupe also. Did you get the Cashmere interior?

Yup, got the cashmere. I'm having my window sticker framed with a red metallic frame and cashmere matte. It's a nice combo.

DSC06564_C6.jpg

I'm still not going to buy a Ford again, due to the "88 Taurus I once owned that, even with an extended warranty, was in the shop far too much for my liking. I don't like the bean counters at Ford, but Consumer Reports says their new Mustangs are holding up well. I've had a Honda Accord and Mazda Miata that were both great, but my GM cars held up just as well.I hope the Corvette is more reliable that the surveys in Consumer Reports show. They're always "Much worse than average".

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom