Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Greenish/Brown Sludge...

mshipon

Corvette
1998 Lt. Carmine Red Metallic Coupe
I purchased my '98 in June '2002 with about 26,000 miles on it. I had my coolant replaced this past May at the dealership with DexCool, but recently noticed a greenish/brown sludge in the resevoir. I replaced the resevoir (since it couldn't be cleaned) and thought everything was fine. A few days ago I checked the resevoir again and the sludge is back! What is going on here? Is this normal or do you think a prior owner may have mixed some green coolant in the system? If that's the case, what do I need to have the dealer do to correct the problem?

Thanks!

Hi there,
There has been a chemical contamination of the Dexcool, with standard ethylene glycol.
A chemical flush, neutralizer, and then refill with Dex cool would help, however, the damage has been done, and nothing will rectify it completely.
Consult your dealership for further information.
Allthebest, c4c5:hb

the damage has been done, and nothing will rectify it completely.

Thanks for the reply... what damage could have been done? The car runs fine and the running temps seem normal.

From GM document

Notice
When adding coolant, use DEX-COOL® coolant. If silicated coolant is added to the system, premature engine, heater core or radiator corrosion may result. In addition, the engine coolant will require change sooner-at 50 000 km (30,000 mi) or 24 months.

Fill the cooling system with a 50/50 mixture of DEX-COOL® coolant and deionized water.

Flush it out with clear water. Flush the heater core too. Only 26,000 miles. So how long could it have been that way. Not long. Don't sweat it. Just flush and change the coolant a few times till it looks right. If it did do some premature "damage", big deal, your motor will only go to 150,000 miles instead of 175,000 miles before you need to rebuild it. Heater cores and radiators don't last forever either, no matter what you do.

Lighten up. Think of it this way if the coolant mix up is the worst thing that Bozo former owner did to your Vette then consider yourself lucky.

Drive it like you stole it!
Frank
:Steer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom