Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Harmonic Balancer (Hub) seal leak

D95

Corvette
1995 black convertible
I have a stock 95 LT1.I had a few leaks and decided to change the waterpump,opti,pan gasket and all of the seals in the front including the Hub seal.The hub is still leaking.Did the job again and used a GM seal for the hub and put a stainless steel sleeve on it and it is still leaking.I have been asking around on where I can get a new hub from.(Must be a groove in the hub)I believe GM discontinued the part.This is driving me crazy.Did this ever happen to anyone on the forum?Does anyone know of a good after market hub?It is definitely the hub seal leaking.GM hub p/n is 12553250
Thanks for your help

With the sleeve it shouldn't leak. Are you rubbing a little lube on the seal before you install the hub? If not you could tear the seal.

You are installing the seal with the smooth part of the casing out? Hope I am not insulting you but I don't know how much of this kind of work you have done.

Glenn
:w

Yes to all of the above.I have heard from a few people that there could be a small groove in the hub causing a leak.Before it is taken apart again,I would like to replace the hub.GM does not have any at this time so I am searching for a good after market one.Someone that had a similar problem also put a sleeve on it and it still leaked.As soon as he replaced the hub,the leak stopped.No you are not insulting me but this is frustating.Thank you for your input.I appreciate all the help I can get

Oil leak

My 1996 seem to be leaking from front seal. Turned out to be RPM sensor right next to the crank pulley. Just a thought

Thanks for your input

UPDATE:
Replaced hub after GM started to manuf. the part and it looks like no more leak.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom