Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Has anybody tinted their own windows before?

J

Jedi86

If so, how did you go about doing it? Thanks for your help!

Unless you are really proficient at installing window tint, or you have a LOT of patience, take it to a professional. My humble .02. :D

_ken :w

Self Window tinting

My suggestion - avoid at all cost. Unless your experienced, get a shop to do it.
T

Gentlemen,

Just wondering if the cost of window tinting is high.

Have the police ever said anything about it? I worked with a guy who had his windows tinted on an Avenger and he came to work one day looking glum and stated, "Cops just gave me a ticket for my windows."

California law states that the driver's front and passenger side windows must transmit 88 percent of visible light. Your friend may have exceeded the limits imposed in your state.

_ken

Dark Tints

The local shops usually know just how far you can go.
T

Take it to a shop its reasonably cheap (If your like me your break a window trying to do it) ((I had to tuck it in under seal on my Jetta)) Long story short was cheaper to do it professionally

Just had mine done....cost me $235...but got the best film available on the market. Could have had it done for $85....but, the stuff I have has a 15-year "no-changa-da-color" guarantee and it looks maaaaavleous. The guy who did it....took him 3 hours of patient toiling...says he get a couple of jobs in a day of correcting screwups made by folks who tried to do it themselves...as he said, it's part artistry and part know-how.

Wow, $235 was a great deal.

Do you guys do the black tint or the "mirror like" tint?

Don't they grade tints by degree's?

bull...I prefer the black/dark tint...not the mirror stuff. The black maks my red ride look VERY classy...believe the mirror tint would not have the same effect.

Here in Texas, the cops carry a little machine that allows them to measure the amount of light that passes through the tint...and there are laws in Texas (and probably most states) that limit the degree of opaqueness. The cops see it as a safety issue when they can't see into a car....can't say i disagree, particularly in this day and age!

MY WINDOWS WERE ALREADY TINTED WHEN I BOUGHT THE CAR. THEY HAVE SMALL STICKERS ON THE WINDOWS SHOWING A 35% TINT. WHATEVER IT SAID I FLEW THRU NJ STATE INSPECTION SO I WOULD HAVE TO ASSUME ITS OK. IT WAS DONE PROFESSIONALLY AND STILL LOOKS GOOD. WHEN PLAYING WITH TINT GO IN YOUR TOOL BOX AND GET YOUR CHECKBOOK OUT!!!:cool

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom