Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Have you ever used a Clay Bar on your Vette?

Andy

Corvette
1976 Millenium Yellow / 1979 Greenwood Daytona
Well, I spent about 5 hours yesterday on my vette...Paint looked ok, but due to oxidation the body surface was quite rough..in some places like sandpaper. Well, after washing it with DAWN dishwashing detergent, which stripped the car...I used a Clay Bar...Took me about 45 minutes to "Clay" the car...MAN, I could immediately feel the difference..Amazing. I then applied throughout the day 3 coats of ZAINO...Have you ever waxed your car and stood back and said.."Dam, that looks good"? Well, thats exactly what my comments were yesterday when I finished...The sandpaper feel was gone and the surface was like GLASS.....I'de recommend this product to anyone....
So nice to have a VERY GOOD finish back once again!

Andy

Yup, been using clay bars for years...even without waxing, i get compliments on the paint

Andy,

I highly recommend clay barring regularly! It prepares the car for whatever wax or polish that follows. Glad you liked it!

Elaine

:upthumbs

:w
Guy

I first used clay bar on a '99 Navy Blue Metallic convert and again on my '06 V-City Yellow Z06. Highly recommend using it before polish/wax. After washing your car, the clay bar removes grit, dirt, etc.

I used a claybar for the first time a few weeks prior to CruiseFest and was impressed beyond belief with the smooth finish it produced on my Corvette. An 8 year old original paint Corvette that sat through Hurricane Katrina's winds and is my daily driver - rain or shine.

Claybar and Zaino! I'm sold on it!

:w Jane Ann

Bell's Tavern
Park City KY
June 2006

IMG_5986_2.jpg

Good body men and good detailers have been using claybars for years!

There is absolutely nothing like it!

Even today, there is no better way to make your Vette shine!

SAVE THE WAVE! :w

Clay

I used it few times, it works good.............
DSC00986.jpg

DSC00809.jpg

I've clayed my 94 four times in the nearly 2 years that I've had it. Makes a world of difference.

I've used the Zaino Clay Bar, years ago on my 2000 WS6. It was amazing, honestly never used it on any of our cars after that. But If you clean your cars it is worth doing every once and a while.

toms94 said:
I've clayed my 94 four times in the nearly 2 years that I've had it. Makes a world of difference.

You know, it's not that hard either. Just takes a little while to learn how to do it. Then once you have got the hang of it, just one more easy step in the detailing of your Vette.

SAVE THE WAVE! :w

I've claybarred the car once. I was a little leary about the process figuring that if the clay was picking stuff up, why was that stuff not scratching the surface when I repeatedly rubbed it back and forth? I know the quick detailer is supposed to be a lubricant, but I wasnt confident that I wasn't doing more harm than good. The car did seem smoother when I was done, but I havn't redone it in a while.

I watched a video from a detailing site that someone posted here. The guy using the clay was sort of rubbing it around all over (more like a wiping motion than a waxing motion), even used it on the windows with the quick detailing spray which I have avoided getting on the windows.

Anyone who does a lot of clay barring want to chime in on a few details?

Circles.....wiping?

Just run it over the surface lightly, or press a little?

One application per bar ? (do you reuse them....I mean if I dropped the clay on the floor I'd get rid of it. I may be a little nutz, but if I drop a microfiber towel on the ground while I'm doing the car, it goes in the pile to be washed, not back on the car)

....Anyone who does a lot of clay barring want to chime in on a few details?

Circles.....wiping?

Just run it over the surface lightly, or press a little?

One application per bar ? (do you reuse them....I mean if I dropped the clay on the floor I'd get rid of it. I may be a little nutz, but if I drop a microfiber towel on the ground while I'm doing the car, it goes in the pile to be washed, not back on the car)

Just use plenty lubricant, but if you don't, the clay bar will just stop.
I do circles since it's pulling dirt & wax out of what I call micro swirls/scratches. I also press down a bit and last, I use my clay bar more than once.

My first time was on my black 82 Vette with original paint. After I was done, that paint looked new!

Good luck and post your results.
:w
Guy

Here's what I do. I use the clay bar in my left hand and have a chamois in my right full of soap. Use a swirling motion with both. Very happy with the results. I clay bar EVERYTHING, the windows, the Lexan headlight covers on the daily driver, etc.

Yup, I was probably a little timmid with it the first time, I always do stuff in the late afternoon and the light was going :p.
I'm gonna give it another shot and take a little more time.
Thanks for the info.

Clay bars are as important to an automotive finish as washing. Clay bars have been used as far back as I can remember.

Clay bars remove particles or airborne pollutants that have become embedded in the surfaces finish. One you do it once you won't believe how much just washing doesn't do.

If you want to perform a little test, place a plastic sandwich bag over your hand and light drag it over the cars finish and you'll feel it catch on everything. Now clay bar the same area, wipe it dry, then perform the plastic bag test and it glides across like glass.

Speaking of glass, don't forget to clay bar your windshield. Your windshield receives the most of the pollutants, road-grime, dust, and dirt, all this at more than 30mph. :eek

After you've clay bared the windshield, clean it thoroughly with Stoners window cleaner then apply a generous coat of your favorite wax. Your windshield will be crystal clear and the wipers will glide across eliminating all that chatter...:upthumbs

I just clay barred my 01 last week. It was the first time I have ever used a clay bar, but after the results I got, I will use it when ever it is needed. It is simple to use, as long as you follow the instructions.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom