Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Having trouble with my rod...sunvisor rod.

K

kayak

My rods are rusty. Sunvisor rods that is.

I'm looking to remove the inboard and outboard rods that hold my '76's sunvisors onto the header trim.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the rods from the sunvisors. Is there a secret "catch" that I'm missing, or do I just clamp on and pull with all my might?

Most any help would be most appreciated,
Kurt
Silver '76 in resto

I had the same problem due to rust building up on the inside. You can try pulling like hell, but if you plan on replacing the sunvisors anyway, slice them open with a razor. Then you will have access the the metal piece that clamps around the rods. After a heavy dose of Liquid Wrench and some angry channel lock plier usage, they eventually will slide off. Since replacement visors are fairly cheap, I had no hang-ups busting mine.

--Bullitt

You can get new ones from Paragon Reproductions. They seem to have the best price for a whole set.

Yes, you have to pull very hard. You will most likey end up damaging the visor. It may be time to replace all of it anyway.

I agree with bullitt. New visors are relatively inexpensive, so I'd recommend slicing the old ones open then 'manhandling' them apart with vice grips & pliers. I replaced mine with new ones from Corvette Central (www.corvettecentral.com), $43.85 for a pair for my '75. I used steel wool and chrome cleaner to clean up the rods.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom