Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

head removal

billd

Corvette
2001 red convertible, 1985 wht
Hi everyone,

I have an 84 and am trying to remove one of the heads. I have removed all the bolts and boy is that sucker stuck. Anyone have any suggestions (ie tricks) to remove this guy.

Bill

2x4 Block and a good Peen Hammer!

Thin wall gasket scraper or pry bar (Don't damage the head or block)

Spray some nut cracker AKA WD40 and let it soak

Those are my Ideas Good Luck

Originally posted by BigRed
2x4 Block and a good Peen Hammer!

Good advice, but when I get frustrated, I bring out a 10lb. sledge. It runs the wood block, but what the hell. If you're really careful, you can use the exhaust ports to pry upwards on the head. Just don't use something too abrasive. A hammer handle or something should do the trick.

--Bullitt

first make sure you have ..ALL THE HEAD BOLTS REMOVED..theres 8 in the bottom row 5 in the second row and 4 in the top row (total 17) if you did not remove 17 from each side youll break the head trying to pry it off. lots of people forget the two end ones in the middle row because they are set down in the oil return areas

OOOOHhhhhh Wouldn't that suck! I can just imagine building up my car after years of saving and forgeting to remove a HEAD BOLT

Aww Id Cry for sure

got it off

Finally I got it off. Oops missed some bolts. Now I'm looking at it and I can see that three of the exhaust valves are a nice light grey color and one is dark brown. I'm thinking this isn't good. Is it? When I look at the valve and the seat neither one looks bad on the seating surface. There is no carbon where it would have leaked any ideas?

Is it rust? from a possible head gasket leak?

Is the Valve chipped or warped allowing fire into head?

Is the Valve seal leaking?

If it was me and I had to heads off Id just change them out (Like why not hard works done already) and make sure the machining on the head itself after removing the valves are in good order. Its USUALLY a good Idea to have a machine shop REseat them if your installing new valve.

One more thing on the cylinder where the burnt valve was, is the some piston slap on the clyn walls of the block? Allowing a little bit of oil to pass through.

Could be a million things but knock them off one at a time by checking the block and the head out.

Good Luck

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom