Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Header gaskets.....best way?

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
Getting ready to mount my headers for good and bought the ARP 12 point head bolts. The directions say to apply a sparing amount of silicone or gasket sealer to adequately cover the gasket header. I have header gaskets. Are they saying that I should apply sealer to both sides of the of the gasket and then mount the header?

anyone? clarification?

thanks, Herb

Me neither, and I've put on many, many sets of headers over the years. Just helped a friend drop in a Dart 406 in. SB in his 68 Camaro a couple of weeks ago. He used the ARP 12 point header bolts. What a huge PITA those were on several of the tubes. Give me the old 6 point fasteners any time.

BL

I also never used any type of seal enhancing substance.

Gerry

Me neither, and I've put on many, many sets of headers over the years. Just helped a friend drop in a Dart 406 in. SB in his 68 Camaro a couple of weeks ago. He used the ARP 12 point header bolts. What a huge PITA those were on several of the tubes. Give me the old 6 point fasteners any time.

BL

Exactly! That's why I've always used the 6-point (reduced 3/8" hex size) ARP NASCAR pre-drilled header bolts and safety-wired them; you can't use an open-end wrench on a 12-point bolt! BTW, Snap-On makes a nifty 3/8" x 3/8" open-end wrench (#VS12A) with different angles on each end that's handy for getting at header bolts you can't reach any other way. :)

ARPHeaderBolt.JPG

HeaderWrench.JPG

:beer

for bolts I use Allen cap screws and I have all sorts of cut-off wrenches and ball drivers to make installation easier you can get them in stainless also

I can't imagine that silicone can hold up to the heat. Last I heard those soft copper gaskets were the hot setup. I thought that the ARP 12 point intake bolts were going to be just the thing too but found out that on my tall intake I couldn't get the socket on several of them. Fortunately I have a long handle 12 point box end that allowed me to tighten them all evenly.

I can't imagine that silicone can hold up to the heat. Last I heard those soft copper gaskets were the hot setup. I thought that the ARP 12 point intake bolts were going to be just the thing too but found out that on my tall intake I couldn't get the socket on several of them. Fortunately I have a long handle 12 point box end that allowed me to tighten them all evenly.

I agree with Tom and the others. I have never used any sealer at that location-I don't believe it will take the heat. I've had good luck with the Fel-Pro 1404 (SBC stock/small race) exhaust gaskets-have never had a blow-out in multiple header applications. The new copper and aluminum ones do look promising, however, I have not tried them at the head-only at the exhaust flanges-and they work great.

For fasteners, I use the "Stage 8" locking ones. They don't have the 3/8" head (I like those, JohnZ), but do have an allen center, and come with "e-clips" for locking them in place. But, you won't always get all the e-clips in place due to tube size relative to bolt location-especially with the Hooker Super Comps. I also use the ARP 12-point on the intakes-good for A/C cars to get at all the bolts. :)

Rick
:gap

Hello
I have never heard of using sealant on header gaskets, but maybe it is something new
Make sure you have a good quality gasket( I used to blow a lot of collector gaskets......mufflers, motors trannies etc......off topic now).
I always had problems with headers coming loose. I like the bolts that John has. I am going to look into getting some for myself.......good idea
take care
Tom

Oh Boy....Looks like I'm the odd man out here.

I'm running Sanderson Headers on my 502 with Alum heads.Sanderson uses a Patented Raised Boss around the Header opening. They suggest using Hi temp silicone sealer..(A very narrow bead about 1/4 ") around this boss and then instal the header.
I also use "Stage 8 Locks with ARP Bolts.

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/tech_leaky_headers.php

See Number 6 Instruction on this link.
http://www.sandersonheaders.com/tech_header_installation.php

Some more info..
http://www.sandersonheaders.com/tech_tight_fit.php

Oh Boy....Looks like I'm the odd man out here.

I'm running Sanderson Headers on my 502 with Alum heads.Sanderson uses a Patented Raised Boss around the Header opening. They suggest using Hi temp silicone sealer..(A very narrow bead about 1/4 ") around this boss and then instal the header.
I also use "Stage 8 Locks with ARP Bolts.

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/tech_leaky_headers.php

See Number 6 Instruction on this link.
http://www.sandersonheaders.com/tech_header_installation.php

Some more info..
http://www.sandersonheaders.com/tech_tight_fit.php

Are those long tube headers or the shorty ones?

Gerry

Are those long tube headers or the shorty ones?

Gerry

They be shorty Block Huggers 1 7/8" Primary to 3" Collector Model# BB-5 Made just for the ZZ502 in the 63-67 Corvette.
They'll cutom make anything you want...

They be shorty Block Huggers 1 7/8" Primary to 3" Collector Model# BB-5 Made just for the ZZ502 in the 63-67 Corvette.
They'll cutom make anything you want...

How much? I need long tube for my nova nut nothing stock fits and I don.t want to pay big bucks to jerry stahl.:ugh

gerry

How much? I need long tube for my nova nut nothing stock fits and I don.t want to pay big bucks to jerry stahl.:ugh

gerry
I paid I think 2 years ago $335.00 for the pair. Ceramic Coated inside and out. Don't know if those prices are still good. My set went back and forth for minor adjustments till the bend was excatly where I wanted it.

Call them and mention Rich Lagasse's name and or my name. Rich turned me onto them as they were the only ones at the time who would build a set for his 502 in a Vette. The owner went out and bought a 502 and used it for a jig in a midyear.

They'll work with you. They'll build you a proto type ..ship it to you so you can test fit. Then you can make corrections and send it back. They'll do this till it's correct and then coat the final build.

Ask for Gerimy..I think that's how you spell it. Gerimy is Sandersons Son. Nice guy.

If it wasn't for Rich...Alot of us would have tripped over our Penis many a Time. Thanks Rich..:beer

www.sandersonheaders.com

and when you tire of the 502 and move up to a 572 you will have to do it all over again. ;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom