Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Headlight question. Help please!

B

blackxpress

The headlight motors on my 90 Couple were both working perfectly and then they quit suddenly. I assumed the problem was the actuator module but I was looking for the module and can't find it. The wiring looks brand new and it is obviously not original to the car (wrong color). It actually looks like someone straight wired the motors. I found two wires where the module is supposed to be. Those wires come out of the harness on the driver's side very close to the foglight. Someone cut the wires and tied them around the harness. Whatever those wires used to connect to has been eliminated. The wires that go to the motors come out of the harness on the passenger side and then they're spliced so that you have two wires going to each motor. I know what the module looks like and if my car has one it's very well hidden. I've traced the wires from the motors to the harness and there is no module. Anyway, here's my question. Is it possible to wire the motors in such a way that they would work without an actuator module? It doesn't seem possible to me but, as I said, they were working perfectly before they quit.

Not sure if this will help or not, but the headlamp actuator module on my 93 is on the drivers side, just in front of the front tire. I had a problem with one of the headlamps (R) , and thought it was the gears, etc in the headlamp motor. After I replaced all of that, it still didn't work. Then, I replaced the actuator module, and when I turned on the lights the the headlight (R) still didn't come up and to my dismay I saw smoke coming from the brand new actuator module :mad.

Well, it turns out there was a problem with the wiring in that particular headlamp motor which I didn't notice when replacing the bushings/gear (insulation was worn off in one little section between the wires), and I suspect it shorted out the actuator module. After I installed another actuator module and headlamp motor, everything worked just fine.:thumb

I'm no expert by any means, but I would think that bypassing the actuator module would not be a good idea. My guess, and I hope I'm wrong, is that something happened and that both of the headlamp motors are now shot. Again, I hope that's not the case....Good Luck:beer

I found it. I was tracing the wrong wires. Duh. It's right there on the front of the driver's side fender where it's supposed to be. It looks really old and dirty so I'm guessing it's the original module. The wires that are cut are likely the original wires for the motors. When they rewired the motors they rerouted the wiring. Anyway, all I have to do now is figure out how to test the module. I'm guessing it's the culprit because both motors were working and they both quit at the same time.

Here ya go!
gmjunkie was kind enough to help me when I was trying to diagnose the problem myself. I believe his instructions were specific to the right (passenger side) headlamp, but it will still let you know if the module is working or not.
I tried to link to the original post, but I couldn't figure out how to do it, so I just copied and pasted the text below..
Hope this helps!:beer

Ok,all you need is a Test Light!! The 2 wire motor system Just reverses the polarity!! On the top of the Right Marker Lamp will be a Flat plug with 5 wires,and there will be a Dark Blue and Light Blue wire!! Those are the ones you need,unplug it and take 2 short pieces of wire and stick them in the plug to hook your leads to the test lamp!! Then turn on the lights and the Test Light should Flash 1 time,turn them off and the test light should Flash 1 time!! If the light doesn't flash 1 time turning on, or flash 1 time Turning off, The Module is bad. If it does flash the motor is bad!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom