Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Heads Up Display

Dellboy

Corvette
1999 MagRed Coupe
Anyone know if it is possible to have a HUD installed in a 1999 Coupe. And if so how much might it cost ?

Thanks , But It looks like to much work for me I could not cut my dash I would be to afraid of messing it up

go to a corvette wrecking lot and buy all the parts including the dash. myself i have it on my 02 but i would never buy it again as i can see no use for it.

I just recently had the hud put in my 2001 z06..

Great mod!

Just so you know..when you take off the existing dash panel..on the underside of the panel..is a pattern of how to cut the dash panel for the HUD..

I had swapped a hud dash panel so I didn't do any cutting..but if I had..after looking at the underside of my dash pad..it wouldn't have been hard..

Its important to know if your present dash has the plug for the hud..

You could go over to www.corvettemechanic.com and askover there..

They could give you better insight as to whether you car as the appropriate dash for HUD.

I do not have a clue how difficult this task would be, however I wanted to comment that the HUD is fabulous. I'm not sure why motorman doesn't like it but I can tell you that you can set what you want displayed given different driving situations; city, highway, etc. In town I just have the speed showing; when I am driving next to someone :))) I have speed/rpm/oil.

To each their own, but it is a great feature in my humble opinion.

I added a HUD to my 2001 coupe a few months ago. You'll need a cluster that has the HUD ready plug which your 99 doesn't have. Most of the HUD units I've seen for sale on e-bay or forums come with a cluster. Once you get over cutting the dash pad it's pretty easy. The dash pad has marks to guide you cutting it. If you cut the hole to the inside of the marks and trial fit the cover then enlarge until it fits you can't mess it up.

Many mods have some sort of trade off. I use the HUD all the time. It was an excellent MOD for everyday driving with no downsides.

Carmen

motorman said:
go to a corvette wrecking lot and buy all the parts including the dash. myself i have it on my 02 but i would never buy it again as i can see no use for it.
if you can't find a use for it you have never driver over 100mph and experienced tunnel vision trust me you won't look down for the speedo.;)

Personally all along I thought it was a dumb gimmick. Then I drove my Corvette with it. I love it. I don't use it as much during the day, but at night it is fantastic. Is the front windshield the same on HUD and non-HUD models? There appears to be a polarized section where the display projects, or is that my imagination?
Bruce

They are two different windshields , The HUD has a special layer sandwiched in the windshield.

don't know the cost....my brother is doing it himself on his '01......love mine!!:beer

I have it..Works great! and you don't need to change the windshield.

Diving into corners that you drive everyday... you can slowly increase the speed just by looking at the road..(and you can see the MPH in the windshield)

Its pretty cool. '

The tachs cool too but I added a shift light in the left corner to really help me nail down the performance this car delivers..

My 'vette came with HUD. I don't use it too much during the day, but at night it has saved me from speeding tickets!

CSDMagred01 said:
I added a HUD to my 2001 coupe a few months ago. You'll need a cluster that has the HUD ready plug which your 99 doesn't have. Most of the HUD units I've seen for sale on e-bay or forums come with a cluster. Once you get over cutting the dash pad it's pretty easy. The dash pad has marks to guide you cutting it. If you cut the hole to the inside of the marks and trial fit the cover then enlarge until it fits you can't mess it up.

Many mods have some sort of trade off. I use the HUD all the time. It was an excellent MOD for everyday driving with no downsides.

Carmen

Wrong. Some of the mid to late production 99's have the HUD enabled instrument cluster from the factory. Mine was built on Mar 31st and had it. I did my own install and love the HUD. The link that motorman gave to Josh's site is a good one. Josh knows his stuff.
Dellboy: If you have a 99 built in the latter part of the production year then yes, your car can be retro-fitted with a HUD without having to purchase a new instrument cluster. Look at the build date on the sticker on the rear edge of the driver's side door to get an idea. It will indicate a month and year. If your car does have a "HUD ready" instrument cluster, then all you will have to purchase is the HUD projector, dash switch, dash bezel and the all important 11 pin wire harness. Josh sells these for a very nominal price. Since it not available from GM as a seperate item, this is a good deal.
Check some of the various Corvette related forums for install pricing if you like. Personally, I think something in the $150-$250 range would probably be about right for a competent install.
HTH

motorman said:
I had a 02 Conv. and now have a 04 Commemorative Conv. both with the HUD and I think it is great. I find myself never taking my eyes off the road as all I need to see is there in front of me. Sometimes in the right sunlight it will look a little funky but it goes away quick as you move on the road. I love it.:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom