Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Heater Hose Replacement

76okievette

Corvette
Early 1976 L-48, 2008 Victory Red
I am going to replace both heater hose's and would like to know how to get at the ends that are connected to the heater core, do you get at those from under the car or from the passager side inside?
Do I have to drain the radiator to replace the heater hose's?
Also if I wanted to put in a ball valve to keep hot water from the heater core would I put that in the hose with out the vacuum operated heater control valve or inline with the heater contorl valve?

You get to both ends of the heater core where you would connect the heater hoses from the passenger side underneath right before the passenger seat. I disconnected both of my hoses from the heater core due to a minor leak and I never really need heat. I just looped it. You will have to drain the coolant unless there is a different way to do things that I am unaware of.

Take it easy on disconnecting the hoses off the heater core so that you don't collasp the heater core, it is soft and easy to mess up. I cut my old ones off from the outside, but be careful doing this. Be sure and purchase the molded hose since they won't crimp shut when they get warm. regular heater hose will not work properly, too sharp a bend.

Thats good news because I just have a piece of regular heater hose and was going to use that, I am still confused do the hose disconnect in the interior of the car or on the engine side of the firewall? I just removed the passanger side dash panel and it looks like I would have to remove the cover over the heater core to get at the hose, is that what I do? I guess I better get under the car and see what I can see :) Thanks

If you try and "pull" the hoses off the heater core pipes, you'll probably break the internal solder joints - then you'll have to replace the heater core. Instead, use a boxcutter knife and slit the hose ends lengthwise where they fit over the core pipes and "peel" the hoses off carefully so you don't put any stress on the core pipes. Get the correct replacement molded hoses. If you're adding a ball shutoff valve, it goes in the 5/8" hose from the intake manifold fitting to the heater core.

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom