Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hello Boys and Girls !!!

P

PhatRick

Hello kids!

As I was browsing the web, I ran across this site and decided to join :upthumbs . I'm a new member and new owner of a 1981 potential beauty :) . I just named her "Lucy". Vette's have to have chick's names! Look at all those curves!!! :D She's got a pearl white paintjob, which is a bit cracked in some places, and cinnabar interior (looks burgundy). I need to do quite a bit of work to her. I just did a tune up last weekend and I bought shocks (4 Bilstein), which I only installed the rear. She was kind of tiled in the rear and replaced only the rear ones, but it seems that I need to replace the front since she's still tillted a bit in the rear and in the front. I might tacke that this weekend. Is that a job I can do myself? Just wondering. I was reading a repair manual and didn't indicate like I neede to mess with the spings any but heard otherwise by someone :confused .

Just wanted to introduce myself! You will all hear alot of stupid questions from me, since I'm not much of a "do-it-yourself" car guy.

Rick

Hey Rick
Welcome to the clan, no such thing as stupid questions. These folks have helped me a lot, I'm just a desk jockey and know enough about cars to be dangerous but the other:CAC members have given me a lot of help. Again Welcome

Chuck :w

Welcome Rick :w
I'm sure you'll get some answers to your questions soon.
Congrats on your car!
Tammy

Rick, Welcome to CAC

No need to fool with the front springs to replace the shocks. However, I suggest you get a bottle of liquid wrench and soak the upper mount nut first. They should drop right out the bottom of the A frame when all the fasteners are off.

There are special tools for grabbing the upper stud, but you can do the same with a good pair of vise grips. Just stay away from the threads. The Bilstiens will have a internal hex/alan head that will make putting the new ones in easier. (at least they should have that).

Make sure you really support the car, and put some saftey material under it. I like to throw spare wheels and tires under so that if the car does fall it won't fall all the way to the ground.

PhatRick said:
Hello kids!

I just named her "Lucy". Vette's have to have chick's names! Look at all those curves!!! :D .

'Nessa and I couldn't agree with you more there, welcome to CAC

Congrats on your new purchase Rick. Looking forward to seeing some pictures!

Welcome PhatRick!

Welcome to Corvette Action Center.
Fire away with the questions, we have the friendliest and most helpful members around!
Heidi

Welcome to the best L81 site

Rick,

Welcomed aboard! These folks have big knowledge and hearts for the 1981 Corvette. Everyone's humble opinion on technical matters help a whole bunch.

We also enjoy the great assistance from the CAC membership. Always willing to help. :CAC

Welcome to the :CAC Rick, and congrats on the new vette!

Thank you all for the warm welcome!!!

Chris - thanks for the info! I'll install those front shocks this weekend and post the results. ;)

Trixie - Love your picture!!! :D I'll get mine up soon...

Rick

From one 81 owner to another,welcome to CAC Rick! Lets see a picture of your 'new" car.

Dave

Rick,
Welcome to the Corvette Action Center and congratulations on your new 81. They are great cars and you've come to a great place.

Welcome..............

Welcome....I am sure you will enjoy this site. My red 64 is also named Lucy as my logon name suggests. My wife and I refer to her as Lucy, out topless redhead. ENJOY

Congrats on the '81! Thought I'd mention that shocks won't cure the tilting problem. It'll most likely be springs, bushings or body mount cushions. I'd recommend the '81 shop manual if you're going to do your own wrenching. And of course, all the Forum resources. Good luck with it. ;help

Welcome aboard! My hubby and I joined about six months ago and it is awesome here! We have an 81 as well - are still learning too but might be a resource for you. Everyone here is very forthcoming and helpful.

Interesting to term all corvettes "she"s. I would guess that our 84 has more of a manly persona but the 81 is definitely female. We haven't gotton our 68 on the road but it looks male all the way. Won't know until we feel it out more.

Welcome!!!

Welcome Rick. Have you signed up with the L81 Registry yet?

Tom

Dawn and Jerry,

Your car collection sounds like a specialty muscle car dealership...:L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom