Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hello! I am new here. I'm Designing a Targa Bar For The C3!

edavy

Hello,

I am a new designer working on designing a TARGA BAR for C3 here in New Jersey.
So far I have worked on a first generation of it.
It is still 'evolving"
Please let me know your thoughts on this.
I hope to have something in the next few weeks.
A prototype.
Thanks for your feedback!
corvette.targa.bar.jpg
So far this is what it will read like:

Our Targa Bar gives your C3 the look and feel of the Corvette sports car racing heritage that started it all.

NOTE: THIS IS NOT A ROLLBAR
Body mounted Targa Bar requires no body frame or component alteration or elimination
Fits only 68 – 82 Corvette Roadsters (C3)
Handcrafted of quality aluminum and powder coated to last a lifetime
Can be installed in 30 minutes or less. All hardware and detailed instructions are included
Our Targa Bar does not interfere with the convertible top, seating or rear deck.
Also available with optional 3rd brake light

I'm curious about what specfic race car look inspired you to shape the bar as you have.

I built road race cars back in the early C3 period and there never was a car with a rectangular "Targa Bar" on a race track. All the Corvette roadsters back then either had true roll bars or roll cages.

Best of Luck but I sure wouldn't put that on my Corvette.

A targa bar for the c3

I'm curious about what specfic race car look inspired you to shape the bar as you have.

I built road race cars back in the early C3 period and there never was a car with a rectangular "Targa Bar" on a race track. All the Corvette roadsters back then either had true roll bars or roll cages.

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]The actual inspiration was two-fold. Look and practicality.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Look. See the Shelby GT 350 & 500 Roadsters from ’69 plus.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Practicality. Space. In order to make a T.B. work in a space where tolerances are limited on a good day, it was necessary to work with the palette we were given.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]The rectangular effect gave us the heft you want to feel and see while allowing us to work in a tighter space than we would have liked. In the Gen II we’ve created a little more shoulder room and height by relocating certain aspects of the design. And it looks great. They’ll be available for sale late this month. Unless of course we get yet another snow storm.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]The roll bars you’re talking about were just that. Roll bars and bird cages. You’re racing. Hacking the rear deck, removing the convertible framework and placement of the seat was not an issue we’d of worried about.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]But these aren’t built for those reasons. The Targa Bar we’ve built and refined has taken into account that the operator is NOT racing and does NOT want to start cutting up a $70 or $80k restoration. He wants his seat where its comfortable, His deck in one, original piece and his top up so the AC isn’t being compromised. His foot stomping is generally limited to the occasional traffic light where he’s looking to grab a little fun and smoke some Goodyear’s.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]What we’ve built, designed and refined is STRICTLY for cosmetic purposes. Nothing else.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]But we want the look and feel of the guy on the racers edge. We want to have the feel and look aggressive. That’s all.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] [FONT=Impact,sans-serif]1969 Ford Shelby GT350[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif]
GetInline.aspx
[/FONT]

To Each Their Own, but doesn't trip my trigger. . . . . . .

What we’ve built, designed and refined is STRICTLY for cosmetic purposes. Nothing else

To each their own but I have to be honest I personally do not think it looks good at all. Part of that being it's just not for me and I have seen simular add ons, chrome, body color, etc. and they were round that wasn't for me either but looked better than this. Also assuming that it is bolted at the bottom somewhere which I would not want to do either, just crude looking to me, but others may find it to be something they can not live without. If you did not want honest opinions I'm assuming you wouldn't be throwing it out there. Might find more than I think out there to buy it but I have no interest! I am for the most part keep it stock but I have seen some add ons that looked pretty good this is not one of them. I guess a big part of me is saying I DON'T WANT A CORVETTE THAT LOOKS LIKE A MUSTANG OR A SHELBY GT!!! These kinds of things looks like they were made to be on these types of cars because they were! Even at that the rectangular design is just crude looking and all that heft for nothing in my mind, but that's just me too. Others may just love it!

Thanks, and good luck, hope you do well.
-Bill

Last edited:
I guess I was confused by the OP. My apologies.

I thought it said that this modificatiion was inspired by sports racing heritage that started it all. The GT350 and GT500s were Ford Mustang derivitives and the the ones with targa bars were street cars not "sports racing" cars.

I'm totally confused by the product's inspiration and how it works stying-wise with the Corvette's heritage.

My C3 is a Coupe, so, maybe, I just I just don't get the whole racing heritage thing with Convertibles and targa bars.

Hello,

I am a new designer working on designing a TARGA BAR for C3 here in New Jersey.
So far I have worked on a first generation of it.
It is still 'evolving"
Please let me know your thoughts on this.
I hope to have something in the next few weeks.
A prototype.
Thanks for your feedback!

So far this is what it will read like:

Our Targa Bar gives your C3 the look and feel of the Corvette sports car racing heritage that started it all.

NOTE: THIS IS NOT A ROLLBAR
Body mounted Targa Bar requires no body frame or component alteration or elimination
Fits only 68 – 82 Corvette Roadsters (C3)
Handcrafted of quality aluminum and powder coated to last a lifetime
Can be installed in 30 minutes or less. All hardware and detailed instructions are included
Our Targa Bar does not interfere with the convertible top, seating or rear deck.
Also available with optional 3rd brake light

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for joining us :thumb.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Good luck with your project. There is a market for all kinds of stuff for Vettes. The catalogs are full of cosmetic add-ons inspired by race cars. Let us know how your project turns out.

Good luck with your project. There is a market for all kinds of stuff for Vettes. The catalogs are full of cosmetic add-ons inspired by race cars. Let us know how your project turns out.

I agree with Catbert here.

There are tons of stuff that one group or another wouldn't or would put on their vehicles. Trying to keep up with which group is which is a bit tough at times.:W

Best of luck- hope your plans, production, and sales go well! :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom