Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help Brake Bleeding...

V

VettePower

I have to change out a leaking front caliper. Can someone give me the abc's and how to's of bleeding my brake system?

Thanks in Advance

1st,welcome to CAC!!!!

2nd,which caliper is leaking???
anyway....you will need 2 people for this....the 1st one sits in the vette and pumps up the brake pedal 3-4 times until ithe pedal is 'up'off the floor,have that person hold pressure on the brake pedal and the the 2nd person opens the bleeder valve and lets the air/fluid out till the pedal goes to the floor and when ithe pedal geos back to the floor,close the bleeder valve and repeat untill no air and all fluid come out if the bleeder.IF you have to replace the passenger side,you may want to bleed the drivers side as they work off the same line

good luck,hope this helps....

It can be done with one person, but you will need a vaccum pump, or speed bleeders - or both if you desire.

The vaccum pump is $20-$30 at most parts stores. Attatch the hose to the bleeder valve, draw a vaccum, crack the valve open, suck the bubbles out, close the valve, check the fluid level in the master cylinder, and repeat as needed.

Speed bleeders are replacement bleeder valves. They have a spring and ball bearing inside them and function as a one way check valve - air and brake fluid get out, but air doesn't get back in. They make traditional two-person bleeding easier (in case the person in the car lets up on the brake pedal before you have the valve closed all the way), or they make using a vaccum pump easier (you don't have to close the bleeder valve before the vaccum pump hose slips off because you have brake fluid all over everything and it's slippery and you reach for the wrench and oops...). Just make sure to use thread compound or teflon tape to ensure that you don't suck air in around the threads on the speed bleeder valve when you loosen it.

When you pump the brakes, should the car be running??

Thanks

Thanks

yes. I've also had good success gravity bleeding my calipers.

........ nut

Thanks

There is also a specific order you should bleed them too. You can check the Haynes or Chilton manuals and it tells you. Also remember the rear brakes may have two bleed screws on each caliper (aka one for each half of the caliper)

Have you checked the other three? If you've got one leaking, you're likely to have three others near the same point. Been there, done that.
:)

Add me to that prestigous club. Vette brakes and products sells calipers in sets of four for a reason! Sure, you can buy just one if ya really want to, but why?!

There is also a specific order you should bleed them too. You can check the Haynes or Chilton manuals and it tells you. Also remember the rear brakes may have two bleed screws on each caliper (aka one for each half of the caliper)
Always bleed brakes starting with the one furthest from the master cylinder being the right rear, left rear, right front, left front. DO NOT GET BRAKE FLUID ON YOUR PAINT. It will act like paint stripper. I like to put a piece of clear tubing over the bleed screw and run it in to a jar This keeps the fluid contained and off of things it doesnt need to contact like your paint, the floor of your garage, your suspension parts. The stuff has a way of spraying all over the place if you are not careful.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom