Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help I have no ignition power

MoeJr

Corvette
Vetteless
I was pulling into the driveway tonight and my Vette just died. I took stock of the situation and noticed I have plenty of battery juice as I can still turn my headlight and interior light on no problem. What I don't have is anything related to power to the dash,radio or engine. I mean zip. I noticed the security light in not blinking anymore when I open the door. When I put the key in the key buzzer still works. I checked the fuses and they are ok. I took a quick check under the hood and I didn't see any burnt wires. i checked the ecm wire next to the battery plus the harness there and the fusible links though I have a hard time telling if the links are good or not. Anyone have any ideas what to do? All help is greatly appreciated. I am totally bummed. :(

Check the VATS. My 84 malfunctioned and locked out the ignition. Try 1.) arming and disarming the system 2.)disconnect the battery for about 15 minutes3.) behind the information center in the middle of the dash there is a fuse, check it. The VATS module is under the passenger side dash you might try unplugging it. The computer is under there too do not unplug it. It has more wires going to it that the VATS mod does.
4.) check the voltage to the starter. My starter went out yesterday 100 miles from home. I thought it was the VATS or the ignition switch but it was the starter. 50 bucks for a tow and 281.16 to check the wiring to the switch and VATS and then replace the starter and all was well. Good luck. Let us know how it comes out.

I'm a new owner and it's sorta nice to give tips instead of asking questions. I'm learning fast>

Sound like the IP fuse. Visual may check OK but get a multimeter and check for continuity with the fuse pulled. The fusible link could be bad also. Tough to see but if you can check for continuity between the ends (or either side of the link) you know for sure. A test light works just be sure to check downstream of the Fusible Link and try not to pierce all the wires in the same area (staggered.)

Other than that I may guess a Ground somewhere (lack of.)

:w

Well the verdict is in. It is a fusible link down by the starter. Unfortunately I cannot fix it here at the house as I have no way of jacking it up. I am gonna have it towed to my shop and will fix it Monday. At least it wasn't too bad.

Also I found a blue plug under the pass. side dash that was unplugged form some module. any idea what it is and why it may have been unplugged? Also found a small vacuum line that was dangling there with it. Any ideas on that one?

Thanks all for the help.

:beer

The only modules under the passenger side hush pad are the ECM and the Theft Deterent Module (I think that one is blue) If its unplugged you shouldn't have a working horn...The vacuum line has to go to one of the vents or heater/AC doors

I will check those out. I had a working horn. I'll have to take the pad down and really look at it good. I am just glad it is gonna be a fairly easy fix to get her back on the road. Too long without my Vette means I'll start having the DT's and seeing gorillas.lol

:bar

My car was all fixed yesterday and I am back in the saddle. It was a broken wire to the starter solenoid.

Good thing to as I was starting to have the DT's and seeing Gorillas.

:bar

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom