Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Is this 1973 worth 4K

I had a good car to work with and the cost of refreshing and repairing can put a dent in your wallet. I'd never want to do a basketcase. I've restored furniture and yes it's rewarding- I guess you get lazy as you get older. I think it's called the path of least resistance. You have to weight that against the priceless bond of being with your child. I think I'd start on a smaller project and then do bigger ones when desired.

Good Luck.

One needs to see the project through. Perhaps the most critical issue is having the facilities and tools to do the work.

Organize yourself.Write the process on paper and think it through, so that you can workout a sensible approach. Inspect your Vette and categorize a list of items based on whether they are required repairs or wish list. If in the front suspension you see serviceable components (meaning the components can still deliver some more miles before requiring repair), but they could use a repaint, then list that under your wish list. On the other hand, that corroded bake caliper should be categorized under the required repairs list. This will help you stay on track. Also, have a physical record of the steps you have laid out, and as they become accomplished, cross them out. This visual aid will help you see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Taylor your project to the available facilities/tools. The resources available for tools or shop space will determine the extend of your project. For example, I wanted to do a frame-off restoration of Gail, but I did not have a good sized garage, so this perhaps set the fact that my project turned-out to be an On-frame restoration, so this is how the facilities and tools are so critical. The shop tools or equipment available will also alter the process order. So for example, one would perhaps start with the interior if you're waiting to purchase an engine stand and crane, or if your budget at the time does not cover the machine work needed on the engine.

Don't make it a chore. Pace yourself. Work relatively short periods of time. For example, I would not make myself wake-up early on a Saturday, just to wrench away in the garage. I would leisurely awake, eat break fast, plan-out the day with my wife, and if I had some time available to work on the Vette, then I would utilize the time available. Some days I could dedicate the entire day to the Vette; however, I worked it, but took breaks, lunch, and quit for the day at my usual time (4 PM for me). Other times, I felt like stopping what I was working on the Vette, AND I DID! If you find yourself mentally away from the project, then there is no reason to continue at the moment. And if you daytime job happens to be more challenging than usual, then don't make yourself spend time on the project. For me, the project was a way to escape the pressures of my job. If you turn-it into the thing that you hate to do, perhaps it will never be completed.

Research other people's projects. If you want to see the meaning of perseverance and determination, check-out 69MyWay's website. He built Killer and helped build other Vettes. However, Chris would perhaps tell you that Killer was the most challenging project. He has learned a lot of lessons since then, and so perhaps today, Vette projects do not seem as challenging. He has a lot of information from which you can gain. And so do other knowledgeable people here in CAC.

If you really want to do it, then like that famous sport shoe company says -"Just Do It".

GerryLP:cool

I just don't get it. I tried twice to sell my '77 vert for a very low price of 8k (considering all the suspension, brakes, trailing arms, engine, transmission..etc. were new or replaced). The car needed paint and a LITTLE TLC.

Don't anyone ask me just yet, though. Cuz, for the moment, I think I'll just get it painted and go from there.

Seems like people either want a bottom of the line, super-cheap, major fixer-upper, or top-dollar, show-winner, turn key and go fast car. The in-betweeners can rot or lose major bucks!

Good luck my friend on your decision. If you get a fixer-upper, I hope you have patience, a bit of skill, and even more patience. With time, you can do it!

but aren't you glad we couldn't work it out ;) once you paint it and get a new top on it and start to drive it you will feel better.

update! just got off teh phone with the guy 3k for everything hasent run in a couple of years but the guys thinks a new carb and battery should do teh trick but he is also is throwing in teh fiberglass front bumber and a how carpet set for the interior what do u guys think now? im goin copy the vin # to see what is really in teh car. if im not mistaken its between teh hood and teh front glass...i hope bit of a long drive but really excited talk to you guys later

If the frame is solid BUY THE CAR!!!! You can't get anything for $3000. Spend $7,000 over time and have a decent car. Or you can buy someone elses piece of $hit 73-82 for $8,000 that has a 7 out 10 paint job which you will paint again anyway...an interior they claim is good but still needs to be replaced...an engine that has met bubba and still needs a ton of work etc etc etc. Are you understanding my point??? Better to by a car for $2000 or $3000 that needs attention and KNOWING it needs attention then buying someone elses 7 out of 10 for $10,000 and quickly realizing its not perfect.

A new interior will run you about $1200. An average paint job will cost a few thousand dollars. For under $10,000 you can have a car that looks nicer then one you can by for $10,000.

Jim

As long as there is no rust I would go for it. If I could find a C3 project on this side of the pond for that money I would have the car in my trailer and on the way home before the seller could buy the first beer with his proceeds.

If the chassis is rusted out run away as fast as possible. Many tears have been shed over otherwise beautiful cars with incurable rust cancer.

After you budget your time and money triple it and add 10% for good measure.

update! just got off teh phone with the guy 3k for everything

H3ll yes! Dude, buy it! Any Vette with chrome on the bumpers worthy of a restore is worth the cash for that amount.

Look at the money people are putting into their 1977's & 1981's etc...

A 73 for 3k is a great price. If you don't do it, h#ll, I'll drive way over there and do it!:w

(I paint a much more dour picture than the rest of the replies, but I'm more into the realistic nature of owning a basket car._

Full time college student??...Aiy! What time are you going to have to work on this? And what about when you are done with college? Then you are going to need a full-time job. Ya know, you gotta pay off those college loans! And then comes the girlfriend occupying more time and money. And maybe a baby or house down the line.
Where's the car gonna be stored for the next 10 years spent restoring the car? Is it going to move with you or be left behind?
What is going to be your state of mind in 10 years? What kind of condition will your dad be in after 10 years? (Yes, time spent with pops is worth it, but aren't there better options out there? Such as starting with a better condition Vette? Try finding one that just need engine work done. Or a good thorough cleaning under the hood.)

Are you going to be able to afford minimum $15K to get the car back to presentable condition? And this is assuming you are turning your own wrench with tools already on hand and the knowledge to do the job correctly. If you still need to buy tools or have someone else do the wrenching...*shaking my head*

Personally, knowing what I know now after buying my car when I was 17, I wouldn't touch that car for $3K unless I knew I could turn it around for $4K next month.
Just know that whatever you decide, whatever money you put into it, you won't get it back out. And unless you know where you're going to be in 10 years (both geographically and financially) it seems a risky purchase.

If the frame is solid, this car is worth more than $3K in parts IMO.

I can see the steering wheel and the dash, so not all the interior is missing.

In college? As long as you have some money to but the parts you need and a desire to work on it, it should be OK.

I know a guy who paid $2500 for a 74 coupe knowing he had to replace the frame. Then the car got a new interior, front and tail piece, rebuilt engine and new interior.

If the frame is solid, this car is worth more than $3K in parts IMO.

I can see the steering wheel and the dash, so not all the interior is missing.

In college? As long as you have some money to but the parts you need and a desire to work on it, it should be OK.

I know a guy who paid $2500 for a 74 coupe knowing he had to replace the frame. Then the car got a new interior, front and tail piece, rebuilt engine and new interior.

Amen, brother!
If the car needs paint, is it worth more with bad paint than NO paint? I didn't think so either. That would probably be the last thing the buyer of that car does anyway. By the time you would have it ready to be painted, you would have someone in mind who would do a good job inexpensively, assuming you're not a painter yourself.
I got new seats (mounted covers on new foam) and carpeting for around $800. Parts can be had on ebay, much better than giving your future to the GM dealer for new parts. If you've already done this with your '86, I'm probably not telling you anything new.
Good luck, and keep us posted!

Craig

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom