Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

HELP leaf spring install

wipeout

Corvette
77 black coupe
I am replacing my leaf spring. and got a new center plate and bolts. But the
new bolts arent long enough to reach the diff cover.

I tried jacking the spring up from the bottom got one of them in but cant get the other one in correctly.

Can I use longer bolts. Or should I jack up the spring from the ends to flatten it out.

Any ideas would be great.

Do you still have the old bolts? Can you put those back in, finish the installation, put the Vette back down on the wheels and then change the bolts out one at a time with the weight on the spring?

I still have the old bolts but most of them were so corroded that i coudnt use em.

I only used one of the original bolts on the front. Then i bought some new bolts that were longer. In the front I put extra washers on the longer bolt to make it the same size. The rear I used the new longer grade 8 bolts.

I also had to jack either end of the leaf spring a little bit to flatten it out.

The new spring looks nice under there(nice arc). but it still doesnt seem to fit correctly. looks like its at an angle and you can see a gap at the top plate. Im thinking the head of the new center bolt I got is to long for the new diff cover. Or the new diff cover hole is not as deep as the original. :confused

4 bolts turned into an 8 hour job.

wipeout said:
I still have the old bolts but most of them were so corroded that i coudnt use em.

I only used one of the original bolts on the front. Then i bought some new bolts that were longer. In the front I put extra washers on the longer bolt to make it the same size. The rear I used the new longer grade 8 bolts.

I also had to jack either end of the leaf spring a little bit to flatten it out.

The new spring looks nice under there(nice arc). but it still doesnt seem to fit correctly. looks like its at an angle and you can see a gap at the top plate. Im thinking the head of the new center bolt I got is to long for the new diff cover. Or the new diff cover hole is not as deep as the original. :confused

4 bolts turned into an 8 hour job.

I had the same problem and found out the head of the nut (center bolt) was larger than the recessed hole in the diff. Made me really mad. If you have a caliper measure the head of the nut and compare to the hole or use a socket that fits in the hole exactly to compare to the nut.

My solution is not for everyone. I actually drilled the hole slightly larger to allow the nut to fit properly.

One note, you don't want to torque the bolts to the diff completely until there is weight on the spring or you risk cracking the housing. You also need to make sure you don't use too long of bolts or you risk cracking the housing.

Good luck. I'm not sure if your problem is the same as mine was but you should check.

Whiplash

Whiplash said:
I had the same problem and found out the head of the nut (center bolt) was larger than the recessed hole in the diff. Made me really mad. If you have a caliper measure the head of the nut and compare to the hole or use a socket that fits in the hole exactly to compare to the nut.

My solution is not for everyone. I actually drilled the hole slightly larger to allow the nut to fit properly.

One note, you don't want to torque the bolts to the diff completely until there is weight on the spring or you risk cracking the housing. You also need to make sure you don't use too long of bolts or you risk cracking the housing.

Good luck. I'm not sure if your problem is the same as mine was but you should check.

Whiplash

Seems to be. either center bolt head to long or to wide. gonna remove spring and thinking of shaving the bolt head. until it fits

wipeout said:
Seems to be. either center bolt head to long or to wide. gonna remove spring and thinking of shaving the bolt head. until it fits

I couldn't shave the nut enough. Using a slightly larger drill bit than the hole already there was a 5 minute fix. I just had to be very careful. I think the hole was plent deep enough.

Good luck. Let me know how it turned out for you.

Whiplash said:
I couldn't shave the nut enough. Using a slightly larger drill bit than the hole already there was a 5 minute fix. I just had to be very careful. I think the hole was plent deep enough.

Good luck. Let me know how it turned out for you.

I took the spring out the other day and its ends up that the center bolt head is indeed too long. Im off this week so im gonna go see if I can find the correct bolt. If not then its off to visit the old grinder.:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom