Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help me rest my mind.

1989 406

Corvette
1989 406
I had posted on here a few months back about coming across my father’s 1989 convertible Vette about fifteen years later. At the time it was a super car, it was supercharged, roller rockers, great exhaust, fuel pump, 3:73 Dana 44 etc. Car went 12.19 on street tires.

When I was debating on whether or not to buy it, I decided against it due to the condition it seemed it was in. I was told a few different stories about how one of the injectors leaked and burnt a hole in one of the pistons and that is why you could see where the engine was taken apart. The supercharger was bad also only running about 4 PSI.

I know it was the right call not to buy it, but I keep coming up with that if I were to buy a C4 now, I would never have the money it took (about 10K, in 1989) to get one to that performance by today standards. I keep thinking to myself that if I could have had the supercharger fixed and maybe what ever else was wrong with it, it would have been maybe a few grand and have a pretty solid car. Obviously I do not know the extent of what was wrong.

Also is anyone familiar with the Greg Carroll set up? I was told by a local Vette shop, his cars were always in and that is why he changed the name of his company.

I would like to hear people’s thoughts.

Thank you.

I dont know anything about Greg Carrol's set ups, but I do know that things usually happen for a reason and that goes for things we pass up, you used what you thought was better judgement. I had a similar situation when I was in high school, I had a 76' Nova, it was jacked up with cragar ss' and had been repainted and had the interior redone. Nothing extreme but it was a nice looking car. I guy in my class had a 69' mustang Mach I, it was a little rough, needed paint some body work, trim pieces, interior was bad, had 6x9 holes cut in the door panels, ect. he wanted to trade even. We know what that car would be worth today. Would I have had the money and know how to do it right back then, probably not. My parents stepped in, they saw it as a money pit, they were probably right if I was going to use it as a daily driver and still try and fix it up. I think the only way to keep from beating yourself up over passing it up is to pass it off as using good judgement at the time and thinking things happen for a reason, there may have been more underlying unforseen problems with the car that you didnt know about. Hope this helps.

In Military School I was taught that the only acceptable excuse for a previous decision is:
SIR – It was the best choice at the time – SIR!

I try to maintain this philosophy and it has served me well for over 40 years. It is a good practice to base today’s decisions on yesterday’s lessons but rehashing the choices you made yesterday is a total waste of time.

Or as my favorite Navy Seal, CMC Johnny Walker*, put it ¨I don’t give a damn how you got here; all I care about is where you are going from here.¨

*Johnny is the longest serving Navy Seal in history. His retirement ceremony was to be 9/12. He and I were having a drink on 911 when the news flash came on. He spent another 3 years on active duty at the Pentagon’s request. 33 years on the Teams and living to retire tells me that his strategy works. Johnny is down-range now doing what he does best.

Thank you.

My wife keeps saying I am in love with the car from when we had it, we got it brand new. It is just so hard with a picture of it on the walls for aal those years and still having that time slip.

I appreciate your input.

Don't regret whatever happened in the past. We say in Turkish "what ever has happened has happened and it has happened for a good reason"... There are so many wonderful Vettes where u live. Get one and enjoy it. A regular Vette (like mine) has more power than we can consume. Don't be picky to get the best one. They are all very exciting cars.

Cheers,

Selim

Don't regret whatever happened in the past. We say in Turkish "what ever has happened has happened and it has happened for a good reason"... There are so many wonderful Vettes where u live. Get one and enjoy it. A regular Vette (like mine) has more power than we can consume. Don't be picky to get the best one. They are all very exciting cars.

Cheers,

Selim

Selim is wise on this one. I take the point of view that once a decision is made and the decision cannot be changed, I do not question the decision. I cannot change it, so all I will find in re-visiting it is unhappiness. I see no reason to volunteer for that.

I guess I will be the first to not rest your mind :L. If you think this C4 will give you the most joy out of any other C4 or possible vette you may purchase then go for it. Any C4 you get with some of them being 20 years old will most likely need repairs sooner or later. If you think this is the vette for you then go for it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom