Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help - Replacing Tires

SilverV96

Corvette
1996 Collector Edition LT1
Good Evening Everyone...

:confused Help ...
I have a 1996 Collector Edition with 21425 miles and I want to replace the tires.
I would like to stay as close to original looking as as possible, but the mfg does not make the Eagle GS-C any longer.
I would like to know what is the best replacement tire to use?

I appreciate any feedback and helpful knowledge ;worship

Thanks!

Silver V

Silver -
Have you done a Forum search for tires? There have been tons of replies and info/advice on the subject in previous threads.
I'd start there first and then follow up with specific question(s) if you still have any.
Terry.

Terry,
No, I haven't looked there. But I'll check and do some reading. I just needed to know were to start.

Thanks for your reply.
Silver

Start by buying Goodyear F1 D3s. Absolutely awesome in every respect.

Only goodyears worth buying are the F1's.

I have Kumho Ecsta Supra 712s and love them, but I like Firestone SZ50's even better.

A lot of folks will have their favorite tires and will recommend them. But what you may want to add to your question is what type of driving you will be doing. Street use only? Occasional autocross events, maybe a track day once a year?? What sort of weather will you be driving in, dry pavement, wet roads, ice or snow?

There are a wide variety of tires by brand name and level of performance in dry and/or wet conditions and of course cost will also play a big part in a selection.

For my personal suggestion, I have a set of Bridgestone Potenza's (RE730) on my 92 vert that has seen both dry and wet pavement, a couple of seasons of local autocross events and 3 track days at Portland (OR) Int'l Raceway where the track temps reached 130+ degrees. With about 30K miles on them, they have about 75% tread left. They are very quiet on the road and are much stickier than the original Goodyear GS-C's ever thought of being.

Check out the Tire Rack www.tirerack.com for some good prices. If there is a Discount Tire in your area, they will make every attempt to match tire price quotes fro other sources. The Tire Rack website also has some customer tire reviews that you can read to possibly help in your decision.

To search for tires, start here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/index.jsp On the right side, select "Browse by Tire Brand" That will open a page that lists the manufacturers where you can choose a tire by type. Just clikc on the brand name. You should look at those tires listed as "Max Performance-Summer" or "Ultra High Performance Summer". These type of tires are suitable for the performance levels that your Vette is capable of and will be at the very minimum, be equal to the OEM GS-C tire.

The individual tire page that opens will have a graph that indicates the tires ability to perform in various road conditions based on the reviews. The higher the number, the better the tire should perform.

Thanks again for all of your responses. I have checked Tirerack, Discount Tire, Kimberly Tire and will call Belle Tire today. I have decided on the Goodyear F1's. My car in not driven in rain or snow so , I feel these will be the best for my driving style.

I appreciate all of your information... You guys are the best!

Happy Trails...
G

Are ya going with the D3s? Thes things stick like glue on dry pavement and are quiet. When it rains they are just superior. The F1s are great too, just a bit old school.

silverv96,
Just replaced the GSC's on my '92 at 18,000mi. with GY F1 GS-D3's. It's a different car!! Much quieter, the ride difference is awesome, and dry traction is like a slot car! You won't be disappointed.

SilverV96 said:
Good Evening Everyone...

:confused Help ...
I have a 1996 Collector Edition with 21425 miles and I want to replace the tires.
I would like to stay as close to original looking as as possible, but the mfg does not make the Eagle GS-C any longer.
I would like to know what is the best replacement tire to use?

I appreciate any feedback and helpful knowledge ;worship

Thanks!

Silver V
I didn't realize Goodyear had discontinued the GS-C.

Well, no matter....as several others have said here, the F1 GS-D3 is an outstanding choice. In fact, it's probably the best all-round ultra-performance tire on the market right now. I put a set on my 95 about a year ago for the 50 Anniv. Caravan and the results were amazing. Quieter and better in the wet (which we saw a lot of on the last day's drive). Interestingly, I had an executive at one of Goodyear's competitors tell me that Goodyear, "....had outdone thereselves with the GS-D3."

Bottom-line...you can't go wrong with the F1 GS-D3.

I put Dunlops SP9000's on my '91 L98, size 275/50/17.

Love 'em. Quiet, lots of grip wet & dry, looks cool, and relatively inexpensive. I don't expect more than 20k miles on these though. The key to tire life is rotate them every 7,500 miles and keep the alignment straight.
dunlop-spsport9000-large.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom