Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help!!Smoke - steam coming into car!!

M

mikeyc4

Hi guys,got an alarming problem,whilst driving the car tonight,i noticed a faint burning smell,followed by smoke or steam coming out the air vent onto the window,it had that burning antifreeze smell i think!

Any ideas what it could be?is it safe to drive as it is?

If it smells like coolant and leaves a film on the window then its probably the heater core. Is the passenger side carpet wet?

Yes it left condensation on the front windscreen,carpet is dry though,if its the core,is it hard -expensive job to do?or is there a way to bypass the core?

Yes it left condensation on the front windscreen,carpet is dry though,if its the core,is it hard -expensive job to do?or is there a way to bypass the core?

You can bypass the heater core by connecting the 2 heater hoses together. I replaced my heater core last year. It wasnt hard to do, just very frustrating and time consuming. The heater core is only about $50, but if you took it to a garage the labour will kill you.

So,do i need to remove the dash stil to get to the pipes?Or can it be done elsewhere?iS it easier to do than the core?

So,do i need to remove the dash stil to get to the pipes?Or can it be done elsewhere?iS it easier to do than the core?

The 2 heater hoses are under the hood and under the coolant reservoir. It is easier to bypass the heater core but then you wouldn't have any heat obviously.

Ok,thanks for that,so i dont need to remove any part of the dash,just bypass it from under the bonnet?Just want to be sure!!

Ok,thanks for that,so i dont need to remove any part of the dash,just bypass it from under the bonnet?Just want to be sure!!

I'm not sure what you mean by bonnet, but the 2 hoses are under the coolant reservoir.

Hi, I did the by-pass on my 79 coupe , before I sold it I replaced the heater core, seats had to come out, dropped steering wheel, removed entire dash and ducting, if I were to keep the car, which would be strictly fair weather use, I would just by-pass the core , the dash stays cooler also. I only repaired it because everyone wants a heater that works..........

"Bonnet" is Queen's English for hood. :) So yes Mikey, under the bonnet.

Can't imagine why anyone would want a working heater. ;shrug:)

I'm not sure what you mean by bonnet, but the 2 hoses are under the coolant reservoir.

Yep,thats english for hood!!Got to get used to the "american" versions!!

So,is the bypass pipe something i need to make myself,or can you just buy one?If not,whats best to use to make one?

Thanks again!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom